Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's my situation. Last summer I let my 2003 XG350L sit while I drove my Mustang vert. Like the idiot that I am, I neglected to start and run the car or at least put on my trickle charger. Fast forward to early Nov and its time to awaken the XG and put the stang to sleep for the long winter's night. Battery is dead so I put the charger on it and the car will start but the battery wont hold a charge. Off to Advance Auto I go and come home with a nice, new battery; 20 minutes later car is purring and no charger insight. I figure I'm home free and take the XG out for a spin. As I accelerate up the state hwy everything is fine until I hit 40 mph. Now its like trying to drive through molasses. No matter what I try I can't get the car to go over 40 (I later learn that this is limp mode). That is until I hit the TCS button. Its like I cut the anchor loose and the car jets out just like I am used to, 60 mph in an instant. So I figure I got this knocked and hit the TCS button to re-engage. Its like the Klingons have latched on with a tractor beam and I'm being dragged back to their ship, 40 mph in no time. Dis-engage the TCS and I break free of their grip and back at 60 in seconds.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
931 Posts
By 'TCS is on' you mean when it isn't disabled, right ? If it is blinking in that condition it means that the TCS system is actively influencing powertrain control - in your case limiting output power or even applying the front brakes. That again means it is detecting wheel spin for some reason, Hard to believe there's no codes but it may be the system actually believes it's working correctly - just based on faulty input. What scantool was used ? Is the ABS working as it should ? Is the ABS light lit for ~3-4 seconds when turning on ignition ? Can you hook up the scantool and read all 4 wheel speeds while driving ?

When you say the car was sitting half a year (outside in your yard or in a shed ?) first thing I think of is animals with sharp teeth working on wires, second is corrosion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the delayed response. I was away for awhile and do not carry a smart phone; don't want that much connectivity in my life.

1. That is correct. When the TCS is "on" I mean that it is engaged. when I begin to accelerate the TCS dash light does not light. Once I reach a speed of 40 mph the TCS dash light will flash and the car will not accelerate past 40 mph.. At this time if I push the TCS switch the dash light will go off and the car will accelerate in a normal fashion.
2. I do not know what scan-tool was used. Supposed to be some high end Snap-on product but I can ask the mechanic for the model number if that is important.
3. I will also ask him to connect the tool and then drive the car to see if any codes appear if he has not already done that.
4. I do not know if the ABS is working properly. When I apply the brakes, the ABS light on the dash does not light, either as flashing or steady.
5. However, I did notice that when starting the car (or simply turning the key to the "on" position) neither the TCS nor the ABS dash lights light up as they should for 3-4 seconds.

5. Car was sitting in the driveway, outside. I hope that the mechanic considered this but I will confirm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts