Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everone,

Sometime wtihin a several yards but more often than not, in about 2 miles, my 2007 Sonata 6 cylinder goes into limp home mode. It typically happens when I stop at a light but sometimes when I simply decelerate. I find that if I take the car out of drive when I decelerate, I have less chance of it switching to limp home mode. Also, if I put it in neutral and step on the gas so that the RPMs stay high, the problem is less likely to occur. Leaving it in drive when the car is stopped is the worst thing for it.

When the problem presents itself, the ESC and the check engine light comes on. After several re-starts, the problem goes away. The check engine light stays on though. If I leave the car for a while, the problem does not come back unless it has had a long time to completely cool off.

I took it to Autozone and got the following codes: P2106, P1295, P2135

I have read some threads that refer to the same codes but the limp home mode happens when the gas pedal is pushed on the highway. Are both sets of symptoms caused by the same thing? I saw where the TPS was replace but it did not fix the problem.

I have 63 thousand mile on the car. It just went off of bumper to bumper coverage. What are the chances that I could take the input from these threads and get this fixed by my local mechanic instead of the Hyundai dealership.

My VIN number is 5NPEU46FX7H205996

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (herring_fish @ Nov 3 2010, 05:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368743
Hi everone,

When the problem presents itself, the ESC and the check engine light comes on. After several re-starts, the problem goes away. The check engine light stays on though. If I leave the car for a while, the problem does not come back unless it has had a long time to completely cool off.

Oldest 1 in the book ... need a 35107-3C100-FFF throttle position sensor, and reprogram the PCM with the latest program per TSB... see it all the time.. we typically keep (4) of that number on hand at al times..</span>

I have read some threads that refer to the same codes but the limp home mode happens when the gas pedal is pushed on the highway. Are both sets of symptoms caused by the same thing? I saw where the TPS was replace but it did not fix the problem.
Limp home is the PCM only allowing for so much throttle to get car out way... with bum throttle info, why would we let have full power ??

I have 63 thousand mile on the car.
Out of warranty.. you pay

It just went off of bumper to bumper coverage. What are the chances that I could take the input from these threads and get this fixed by my local mechanic instead of the Hyundai dealership.
<span style="color:#0000FF">Your fella can install TPS.... but he cannot do program... program goes with the new TPS.. you call our parts dept wanting that part, they'll tell person about update.. car comes to us for repair in 1 visit, not part here, and program there..

Pics -

1 - new part left, old right

2 - new part

3 - new part

4 - old part

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem with my baby and I just took it to the shop Friday 11/12/2010 and it cost about $250 to get fixed. I did not take it to the dealer but a AAA approved shop. The car works great now.

QUOTE (herring_fish @ Nov 3 2010, 02:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368743
Hi everone,

Sometime wtihin a several yards but more often than not, in about 2 miles, my 2007 Sonata 6 cylinder goes into limp home mode. It typically happens when I stop at a light but sometimes when I simply decelerate. I find that if I take the car out of drive when I decelerate, I have less chance of it switching to limp home mode. Also, if I put it in neutral and step on the gas so that the RPMs stay high, the problem is less likely to occur. Leaving it in drive when the car is stopped is the worst thing for it.

I have 63 thousand mile on the car. It just went off of bumper to bumper coverage. What are the chances that I could take the input from these threads and get this fixed by my local mechanic instead of the Hyundai dealership.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took it to the dealer and it cost $219. It took about 1 and a half hours because they had to wait for it to cool off. It's been about a week and so far so good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bump.

Had the exact same sequence occur to me this morning on my 2007 3.3l Sonata. There appears to be a TSB for this (TSB-10-FL-010) although it ties it to a cold engine. Last night was one of the warmest we've had this year in NE Ohio and my Sonata spends its nights the last 6 months in a nice, comfortable garage.

Does anyone know if Hyundai will do a TSB out of warranty? If not I am definitely filing a complaint with NHTSA. Something this common that requires a PCM flash should be a recall. I would have no problem if it was just a replacement sensor but it's a little ridiculous that updated sensors (correcting the issue?) only work with an updated PCM.

I'm assuming this isn't just a matter of the computer relearning the throttle position. If it is then does the Sonata have a sequence to reset the PCM? I haven't searched yet because everything points to requiring an update.

Also nice of Hyundai to put this out just after my '07 went out of warranty.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
TSB is just a note to managers and techs saying if you see this problem,, this is how to correctly repair the concern".. TSB is not a recall.

The part is $35 typically, not hard to do, but they revised the PCM programming to change parameters for a bunch of items.. so you'll need to see dealer for latest version of PCM software.

We been doing them for at least the last 1 1/2 - 2yr now.. some still in warranty, some customer pay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE (sbr711 @ May 10 2011, 12:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=443186
TSB is just a note to managers and techs saying if you see this problem,, this is how to correctly repair the concern".. TSB is not a recall.

The part is $35 typically, not hard to do, but they revised the PCM programming to change parameters for a bunch of items.. so you'll need to see dealer for latest version of PCM software.

We been doing them for at least the last 1 1/2 - 2yr now.. some still in warranty, some customer pay.
Yeah. I'm aware that TSBs are not recalls but occasionally car companies will use them to reduce complaints outside of warranty when it is just a software update (just labor cost). Very annoying that they have a systemic problem that is software related that can cause a car to go into limp node that they won't put a recall out. 5 minutes of time here and in other forums indicate that this is happening broadly and appears to be getting cars right around the warranty expiration. I just got off the phone with my dealership and they're 'familiar' with it. I scheduled the reflash and depending on the cost I'll either replace the TPS myself or have them do it. I'm was thinking about replacing the plugs and PCV valve this month anyway. This would just move it up.

Anyone out there getting close to warranty expiration should get this flash done. Save ya a couple hundred bucks when your TPS goes belly up. I reviewed by TSB list before my warranty expired and this wasn't on it (came out in August '10).

TSB was TSB-10-FL-010. Since it's a flash they should do it under warranty even w/o CEL. At least that was my experience with other car companies.

Oh well. Hyundai just got a complaint. Hope that's worth $200 to them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts