Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it finally happened. My first vehicle breakdown in 25 years (and with the newest vehicle I have ever owned I might add).
I noticed several months ago the SF was not holding a steady speed, especially in cruise; there seemed to be a slight back in forth. I did a search here and found similar problems that turned out to be the throttle position sensor. It made perfect sense. Well, living 1000 kms from a dealer, the next time I was down south in the land of the civilized, I stopped in at a dealer and told them of the symptoms and that I'd like the TPS looked at. She said there is a TSB on it but only if the check engine light goes on. I explain that if it gets that far, isn't it likely that it goes into limp home mode too? She confirmed that to which I explained it would take me about 50 hours to drive from my house to the dealer's should that happened while I was at home. She was unwilling to accommodate.

Last week, my boss and I took a vacation marlin fishing and left the SF at the airport. Upon our return, I had to head west for work so he drove the SF home alone. He called me 6 hours later and said the check engine light was on and the beast wouldnt go past 25 kph.

Crap.

Turning the engine off/on fixed the problem but light remained on. He drove it to the dealers which was several hours out of the ways but still not nearly as bad as if he had of made it home. The shop was closed for the day but when he started it back up, the check engine light was off. I convinced him to take it to the dealers instead of attempting it home since there was always the possibility it might stay in limp home mode.

Dealer is looking at it tomorrow and they had better bloody well change the sensor. I'll be out the cost of gas and a hotel and a day's holiday though.
The question is: for future consideration, how can I override limp home mode? And please, I don't care to hear anyone's logic that limp home mode is there for a reason and shouldnt be overridden. That feature is there purely to protect the dealer/mfg, not the occupants. If I am way up north and it's -40 outside with no sat phone coverage (let alone cell phone) and 250 miles from nearest town, I don't care of I damage my vehicle to get to safety. Limp home mode may not be adequate.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Bummer. Limp-home happened to me once in a Nissan I owned, but I was only 5km from a dealer.

PM sbr711 to see if there's any way to override limp-home mode. But I suspect that the only solution is to drive a Chevy or something else that your local garage can handle. Good luck.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Limp home is the PCM only allowing you to have enough powwer to get somewhere.. cannot be over ridden.

You got BUM throttle info inputs to the PCM, why would we allow you to have full power and hurt yourself or others if the throttle info/controller not working properly... Does TOYOTA ring a bell ?

Get your throttle sytem repaired, and we will let you have full power.. Like the saying goes, "garbage in",, we not going to allow gabage out to where somebody could get hurt or worse.

Your service lady is being S, T, double ewww, PID.. You come into our place with a complaint like that, it is WEBDCS for warranty history, no claim, visual for old style sensor, you getting new sensor and the latest program.. we want the CSI scores, and we and Hyundai are aware of the throttle issues.

RPM fluctuation while engine is cold (DTC not set)</span>

NOTE: Should either of the above DTC occur, the vehicle would have operated in
limited power “limp home” mode and stored the following DTC in the ECM:

• DTC P1295: ETC System Malfunction - Power Management
• DTC P2106: ETC System Malfunction - Forced Limited Power

APPLICABILITY:
• 2007-2009 EN Veracruz
2007-2009 CM Santa Fe
• 2006-2009 TG Azera
• 2007-2008 EP Entourage
• 2006-2009 NF Sonata with 3.3L Engine only
• 2009-2010 BH Genesis Sedan

REPAIR ACTION:

Replace the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)
<span style="color:#FF0000">Perform the ECM software update.

---------------------------

Go back and tell them you dont need codes because the engine speed fluctuates when cold... they dont need DTC for that.

Now that you have MIL, 2135, 2106, 1295, 0638 will get it done..

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Nov 9 2010, 08:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370354
---------------------------

Go back and tell them you dont need codes because the engine speed fluctuates when cold... they dont need DTC for that.

Now that you have MIL, 2135, 2106, 1295, 0638 will get it done..

Thanks for the info. Boss called and said they did the TPS. Don't know about ECM update.

On an unrelated note, they also said the driver's low beam was out. That is the third bulb in 6 months. Any idea why?

·
Registered
1 Posts
The WEBDCS, is that something to do with the dealers? Will the dealer pay for this repair, or is it out of my pocket? My 2007 Santa Fe goes to limp mode pretty regular, with codes P1295, P1235, and P2106. Just wondering if I could do this replacement myself.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate, 2.4L
41 Posts
The WEBDCS, is that something to do with the dealers? Will the dealer pay for this repair, or is it out of my pocket? My 2007 Santa Fe goes to limp mode pretty regular, with codes P1295, P1235, and P2106. Just wondering if I could do this replacement myself.
Yeah. . those codes indicate a bad TPS. . . the updated hardware / software should be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Yeah. . those codes indicate a bad TPS. . . the updated hardware / software should be covered under warranty.
ONLY if the vehicle falls into the 5yr/60,000 mile period... after that, customer pays for repair..

REPLACE the TPS with updated part, and update the PCM to latest version. PCM update is done by dealer with GDS.. customer is free to purchase the TPS and install themself,, not hard to do, just couple item to watch for when replace, or engine may not accellerate.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
The WEBDCS, is that something to do with the dealers?
This is where dealer goes to obtain vehicle info from Hyundai, service uses it for warranty info, original/current owner, first use (warranty start date),, past claims applied to VIN, and the dealer who made the claim.

Will the dealer pay for this repair,or is it out of my pocket?
Dealer DOES NOT PAY for repairs,, if it is a warranty situation, dealer will do the work, and file claim with HYUNDAI for re-imbursement..

If not a warranty situation, customer will pay for repair

My 2007 Santa Fe goes to limp mode pretty regular, with codes P1295, P1235, and P2106.
TPS replacment and PCM update is correct current repair as of today

Just wondering if I could do this replacement myself.
Replacement, yes, few things to watch for.. PCM update has to be at dealer using GDS

Repaired yet ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
same here

I got a 07 3.3 with same codes. what did you end up doing???

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Get your Throttle Position Sensor changed out. That code combination points right to it, and it is a VERY common fault on '07~'08 models.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts