Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone removed the roof rails and replaced them with the strip from an se model. Not a fan of the rails. It makes it hard to clean the roof.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Easy snow removal from roof, remove roof rails

Yes roof rail removal can be done and roof moulding assembly from SE model is an exact fit. Roof rails are held onto roof with 3 nuts per side, must pop out caps for access to nuts. remove 3 nuts and lift rail straight up to remove, pull up on 2 short front & rear filler strips to remove ( these are portions of the one piece moulding from SE model that sit below the roof rails at the front and rear ends ) ( the SE one piece moulding will replace these ). Now the hard part, you must cut off ( 3 per side ) the studs that the original roof rails are fastened too, this can be done with a dremel tool fitted with small cut off wheels. The stud is attached to a small sheet metal bridge that is tack welded to the roof channel of SEL, Limited and Ultimate trim levels ( the SE model does not have these ). Prime and paint your cuts to provide protection from rust, purchase roof mouldings for a SE model part #s 87230 J9000 left hand & 87240 J9000 right hand ( retail cost about $54.00 each ). The new moulding strips come with all the mounting clips already installed in the correct positions, they just snap in place. Keep in mind I performed this on my 2018 Limited using 2018 Se mouldings, I assume 2019's are the same but would check with your Hyundai parts department to confirm part numbers shown are the same for a 2019 SE. I would also mention that going back to roof rails installed would require a very skilled welder and painter to reinstall mounting studs that were previously cut off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Roof rail removal photos

1) new SE mouldings 2) roof rail cap pry points 3) cap removed, exposed nuts to remove 4) rail removed, original front & rear moulding pieces, new full length SE moulding 5) Dremel tool with cit off wheels 6) stud/bridge to remove 7) cut bridge close to bottom

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
PHOTOS OF ROOF RAIL REMOVAL
8) stud & bridge completely cut off 9) cut metal primed & painted for rust protection 10) upside down view of new SE moulding showing all clips factory attached 11) line up new moulding in channel 12) front edge of new moulding sits directly behind upper front window trim 13) finished installation of SE model trim onto a Limited model roof

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did prime with high quality metal etching primer and painted several top coats, Fluid film is certainly an option, however their website FAQ states caution should be used around non oil resistant rubber goods due to possibility of the rubber swelling. The moulding strip is rubber coated aluminum from end to end, didn't want to risk it. It is a great product, thanks for the suggestion, I am more comfortable using it on the bottom side of car.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I did prime with high quality metal etching primer and painted several top coats, Fluid film is certainly an option, however their website FAQ states caution should be used around non oil resistant rubber goods due to possibility of the rubber swelling. The moulding strip is rubber coated aluminum from end to end, didn't want to risk it. It is a great product, thanks for the suggestion, I am more comfortable using it on the bottom side of car.

Good choice on the metal etching primer. I have had good luck using that too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you. I am the original poster of this question. I will order the se rails and do this as soon as possible. Again,thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone out there done the reverse and taken the standard molding off and added the roof rails? I have a 2019 Kona EV Limited, but it does not have the roof rails that I wanted. I would like to add them and wanted to see if anyone has some advice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would like to do the same thing. Looks like maybe dropping the headliner and drilling without hitting the side curtain airbags? Use some 3M 5200 marine sealant and stainless steel bolts.

Part numbers on the side rails and caps?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oh No.... this is exactly what I want to do.... IN REVERSE!. I wish my SEL has roof rails.

but anyways, your mod looks clean tho...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you. I am the original poster of this question. I will order the se rails and do this as soon as possible. Again,thank you.
What did you do w your rails you removed? I’m trying to do the opposite... and rails to my SE

1 - 17 of 17 Posts