Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
welcome to the forums :00000732:

if the air bag light is on it means there is a fault on the system, you will need to visit your dealer so that the fault codes can be read on a scanner, once the codes have been read then the fault can be identified.

the only way to reset the warning light is with a scanner

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
SRSCM has detected a fault in 1 or more of the many SRS circuits

Open circuit/ short circuit, short to battery, short to ground, high resistance, low resistance, examples of the possible wording that shows up in the fault code description...

Need Hyundai HI-SCAN or GDS to access SRSCM for codes... I prefer GDS so I can print the screen to document codes found, and customer can see them too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got a 2005 model and had the same problem.
It started one day when I folded the passenger seat forward to make room for a large plant pot in the back.
The light came on and stayed on.

I was advised that the seat belt pre-tensioner might need a dealer adjustment or the dealer's computer was needed to reset an ECU diagnostic code.
The fix was simpler, and less expensive than that.

It took me about 6 days to realize that something under the seat became disconnected.

I moved the seat to the most forward position and put the seat back upright.
Whatever was disconnected, perhaps the airbag seat weight sensor reconnected and the light immediately turned itself off.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
You need to have it scanned and see where the real problem is/was.... the code will remain in memory until it is physically cleared with scan tool.

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (li_fuqua @ Sep 9 2010, 11:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355240
I got a 2005 model and had the same problem.
It started one day when I folded the passenger seat forward to make room for a large plant pot in the back.
The light came on and stayed on.

I was advised that the seat belt pre-tensioner might need a dealer adjustment or the dealer's computer was needed to reset an ECU diagnostic code.
The fix was simpler, and less expensive than that.

It took me about 6 days to realize that something under the seat became disconnected.

I moved the seat to the most forward position and put the seat back upright.
Whatever was disconnected, perhaps the airbag seat weight sensor reconnected and the light immediately turned itself off.
also had the same problem with a 2006 model. followed the above and the light is now off. fingers crossed. also removed anything near the seats that was magnetic

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
And nobodyy has had SRSCM scanned for codes to know where the actual fault is ??

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Is the horn still working ; lots of car have the horn tied in to the clock spring wire harness that runs up though the steering column. Its used to trigger the airbags. Chrysler had recalls on that harness on some of the mini vans ; no sure if Hyundai has ever had any.

But scanning avoids expensive guessing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
While this is not current to your post of 2012, I found the same problem of noticing the ABS light on and the only thing that preceded this was having folder the passenger seat back down flat to carry some timber (also vacuumed car out after to clear up sawdust and had slid the seat fully forward to get underneath with vacuum nozzle).

Followed your suggestion of refolding seat down, moving forward then back and returning to upright position. I also fumbled about under the seat to make sure there were no disconnected wires).

Restarted car and problem resolved!!!

Thanks for your comments - I'm happy to believe its magic, but clearly there is mjore to it as others report similar problems.

David

·
Registered
1 Posts
The airbag light was staying on in my 06 Tucson as described above. Local garage, which has been excellent over the years told me it would need to go to the dealer to be resolved. I googled the problem and found this site. I did as suggested - seat forward, seat back, seat down & seat up ... Problem solved. Wonder what the dealer charges to do that? Thanks for posting this fix!!

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,973 Posts
Would the air bag light more likely come on because of impact sensor or clockspring?
I've had to fix more clocksprings than impact sensors, if that answers your question.

But there really isn't any point in guessing. You can't switch the airbag light off without a having access to a suitable diagnostic scan tool. Since you're going to need the scan tool anyway you'd be as well to use it to read the trouble code to begin with. Then you'll know for sure which circuit it is that is causing the light to stay on.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've had to fix more clocksprings than impact sensors, if that answers your question.

But there really isn't any point in guessing. You can't switch the airbag light off without a having access to a suitable diagnostic scan tool. Since you're going to need the scan tool anyway you'd be as well to use it to read the trouble code to begin with. Then you'll know for sure which circuit it is that is causing the light to stay on.

Just now I went and looked at the two front sensors. They were both pointing forward........but one was facing up and and one was facing down. Is that going to cause problems? The passenger side has manufacturer and arrow on the upside. The driver has the label facing the road.

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
one was facing up and and one was facing down. Is that going to cause problems?
No, that's how they are supposed to be.

It's the same sensor that is fitted to either side of the car. Obviously for the arrow to point forward on both one has to be mounted upside down.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I can mount them both facing up and the arrow pointing forward. Two simple bolts holds it on. Think about it.

In any case, the one that is upside down is going back right side up and facing forward. I thught that possibly there was a rollover sensor in the frontal impact sensors.

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,848 Posts
I have an air bag light on my Gen Coupe. Bought a scanner and it's high circuit resistance in the driver airbag circuit. More than likely the clock spring. But no sense worrying about impact sensors until you read the codes.

Traction control is disabled too.

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
I can mount them both facing up and the arrow pointing forward.
Actually, you can't. Take a good hard look at the photo you posted and have a wee think about it ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.