Hyundai Forums banner

Light noise on steering wheel

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  RolKool 
#1 ·
Hello, I have a 2018 Kona 1.0 Manual. I have it almost 11 months. Could anyone please check if, when trying to park without any music, can hear any very light noise from the steeing wheel? It is a very light noise and can listen to it on very low speed when turning the steering wheel a lot.
Is it normal?

Στάλθηκε από το SM-G965F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

#5 ·
Just to update regarding the issue.
This is a common issue on many KONAs.
Actually it has to do with the tolerance of the steering system assembly. It will probably not end up to a steering system failure or something like this but it is totally NOT normal.

To sum up, the dealership, after inspection by a Hyundai technician for the headquarters in my country, accepted the issue and will proceed to steering column replacement.

He didn't need more than 5 second after hearing the noise to end up to his conclusion. Of course a week ago the dealership's mechanics had dissmantled the steering wheel front panel to verify that it did not have to do with the clock spring.

So, I am expecting for the part to arrive but in the meanwhile is totally safe to drive the car.

#6 ·
Without hearng it, I bet it is a clock spring, Mine has a small noise after 3 years and 13,000 miles it is normal that they get a bit louder. No worry's on my end till it gets louder. I would rather not have then digging in there for such a petty thing that will just be coming back again. All cars have clock springs. Mine has a small rubbing sound.

#7 ·
You are right, but in my case it is not the clock spring. This got inspected in first place and it was fine.
Given that the mechanic from Hyundai HQ concluded that the steering column needs replacement, I did not think a minute not to change it. It is an expensive part that I prefer being replaced inside warranty, rather than having an actual problem after the 5years of coverage and pay it on my own.

In any case after paying 18000€ for a car, I cannot bypass a noise that other same cars do not have, hoping that it will not turn into something serious after some years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.