Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Tucson Manual
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Someone tboned my H on the right side by backing into the side of my car. He's at fault. Estimate is approx 1,000 dollars more than my car is worth. What's involved, what should I do?? Will the insurance company pay me out then own my car?? My insurance agent mentioned total loss and the guys insurance paying me then "selling me back my car" huh??? I love my car, want payment but want to keep my car and still legally use it in the road, get paid for damage-keep $ and not have my car totaled out. The damage doesn't bother me at all and I could fix it myself and be fine.

What should I do, what are my rights?

TYSM

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
with insurance, if its a write off there isn't much you can do. they pay out the maximum and own your car. you could always refuse the money and keep your car i suppose...

the problem with accident damage is the possibility of frame and suspension damage. that can get costly and time consuming. if its frame, i wouldn't even think about repairing a car of that age. its done.

suspension, well junkyards are nice...been there myself. its not a fun job but can be done.

body repair is an art all its own...i'm a little half-assed at it myself but i can manage to make it look not too bad.

i'm not sure what your insurance companies are like in oz, but here you can try to bargain with them if you're not at fault. one thought is get a quote that is less than the write off value and give them that. money talks.

the insurance company will want to pay for the quote of the damage, so doing it yourself you can't give them a quote...therefore no payout. they may also want to see the vehicle inspected for safety to verify a repair done yourself.

i'd talk to them and say you really want to keep the car. see if you can make a deal. maybe they'd be willing to pay for parts and an inspection if you give them receipts? that would be much cheaper than the write off value i'm sure.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts