Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my SE 2013 for about 18 months and the entire time I have wondered if there was anything that could be done about the overly light and skippy or skittery feeling suspension.

Particularly over rough roads with a lot of patches, or hitting a bump on a turn, the car seems to skip and shift it's tracking quite a bit. I imagine this is primarily from the light weight nature of the car and the "sport tuned" suspension on the SE model...whatever that entails.

Possibly a side-effect of the Accent's sub-c class roots, it just doesn't have a very firm or planted feel on the road. This is great when zipping about, I love how light the car is, but it would be nice to feel like I'm not going to bounce off the road when I find some bumps. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have the same issue

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I feel as though it is related to the torsion bar rear, but I imagine that would be a bit much to replace with a fully independent and coil-overs.

·
Registered
648 Posts
wait the accent has torsion bar rear ?

·
Registered
648 Posts
ohh nice thanks

·
Registered
6,733 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
You have to remember, the Accent is one of the lightest cars you can buy. It's not going to ever soak up road imperfections like an SUV. You can play with and invest $$ in your suspension, but that will not cure the issue entirely. it's simply a nuance of a lightweight vehicle. Camry, Accord, Altima, etc. handle this problem better. I honestly like the Accent suspension for the most part, but I drive 90% freeway, hwy miles.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Also there is a discussion there on adding a rear sway bar which also helps the handling, at the expense of some of the ride:

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/231-md-2011-elantra/162206-rear-sway-bar-installed.html

The part was for a Veloster, but also fit the E - not sure if it would work on an A or not.

Also here - but it is the previous generation A:

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/184-mc-2006-2011-accent/116675-rear-swaybar-whiteline-possibility.html
I can confirm that the sway bar does not fit our cars. It also does not fit cars with HSD coilovers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts