Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

So I live in a mountain town that gets snow often, and I am considering ordering a 2in spacer lift kit for my 2013 Elantra Coupe. Once lifted, I am curious what tire size I can go up to on the Elantra Coupe, preferably without having to trim anything. Does anyone have ideas or experience with this? Tire sizing is not my strong suit and I get confused by the online calculators I've found so far. Currently the car is equipped with 215/45 ZR17 tires. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
You don't want to go too far beyond 26-1/2 inch outer diameter for tires, and for that height, keep the width to 205 if possible. The rear axle is not the problem, it's the front. Tires that are too tall will contact the frame and fender liner when turning the wheel full left or right.

Also, if you lift the car as you describe, the front alignment will be out of spec. The camber will be a bit too positive and the outer edges of the tires will wear. Camber is not easily adjustable on the Elantra without finding and installing special control arm bolts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks @dmlexpert! I already thought about the camber issue and plan to counter that by using wheel spacers, widening my total stance to balance out for the lift. So 205/55R17s then? Since that's only a 1in increase, do you think I still need to do a full 2in body lift? Or could I budget and fit the same tire with a 1.5in lift instead?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
215-55-17 is the size used on the Sonata and they should fit the Elantra with no clearance issues. There are very few narrow/tall tires in the 17 inch wheel size, as you are finding out.

Overall increase in clearance is about 3/4 inch (half the difference in height) just from the change in tires. You can lift it a little if you want but keep in mind these cars don't have a lot of vertical travel - especially in the front end. Lifting the car too far means the front wheels will "top out" and lose contact with the road much more often than they do when the car is at normal ride height.

Adding wheel spacers will not change camber in any way if you lift the car with taller springs. Camber change is defined by the suspension mounting points - the strut bearing up top and the control arm bushings below. The control arm swings through an arc and causes the portion of the wheel below the centerline to move outward or inward, changing camber. There are camber adjustment bolts that are used to move that control arm pivot point inward or outward to change the aligment. As they roll out of the factory, the Elantra front end is adjustable only for toe. Caster and camber are fixed in place and if they are way out of spec, it indicates the car has frame or suspesion component damage. The rear axle also does not have any adjustment ability built into it. For that reason, don't let auto repair shops sell you on a "four wheel alignment special". All they can do is look at it and report back if it's in spec or out of spec.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts