Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just bought my GT. Traded in a 2004 Sonata which was treating me well but I got the "want a new car" bug.

I am 4' 8" tall. Does anyone have any ideas on how and what I can attach to the lift gate so I don't have to jump to pull it down? Yes, I do look comical while doing so. :) I was looking for a place to tie a rope or something but I don't see a good place to do so.

The other thing I want to add are pedal extenders but hate the look of them so resisting. Never had a car with a working airbag so never had to concern myself with it before.

Appreciate the thoughts and feedbacks!

·
22,788 Posts
Wow! Guess you're not much into volleyball, eh? ;) Mom was 4' 11&1/2". She used to take great pride in telling everyone she was 5 feet tall.

:00000732: to the forum.

If I was confronted with this situation I would consider:

1. Going to the service department and asking what could be done...after you show them your dilemma. Could be done for FREE, that is. They, AND the salesperson owe you that!

2a. Ask them if there is somewhere you can attach a small length of bungee cord, clothesline rope, something, to a location on the back of the tailgate.

2b. Maybe there is an exposed screw inside the center portion of the tailgate panel. Remove it. Crimp a small piece of nylon cord into one end of an electrical connector (see insert) and reinstall into the hole using the screw that you removed. Tie a loop in the other end of the cord so you can easily reach up and grasp the cord to pull down the tailgate.

3. Wait for some of the smarter guys and gals on here to come up with something really unique to fit your particular situation.

I honestly don't have don't have a clue how to help. Not familiar with the GT's tailgate design.

Like I said, above, the smart guys on here will have some ideas. Hopefully. This is a first time issue that I know of since I've been on here. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
I just checked out the hatch on my GT. Maybe a short length of wire could be looped into the slot for the emergency inside release without doing any damage. If it's stiff wire and just long enough to reach maybe it wouldn't get in the way when the hatch closes. Good luck finding a solution, kalyho, and welcome to the forum.

Geoff

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't have an Elantra, but the lift gate images on the web provide an idea. Purchase something like a garage door pull (a soft handle on the end of a thin strong line) and attach this to the anchor point on the gas strut that will be at the top when the gate is open. It might be necessary to remove the strut anchor point to do a proper fix. Don't attach to the gas strut itself, as the ball connector will pull off the anchor point with enough pressure. The cord will drop easily into the car as the gate is lowered and it will not take much pull to drag the gate down enough with the cord to get hold of the gate, leverage will be working for you. Soft cord should be no issue with the door seal and paintwork.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I just looked at the trunk. The latch has three bolts on it. One the left side. Two on the right. Maybe you could put a lanyard behind one of the bolts.

heres a picture of the latch.

Steps

1) unscrew one bolt, which ever one you want.
2) slide lanyard behind latch
3) screw bolt back in
4) buy phuviano a beer if you're ever in the toronto area

Not too sure how strong lanyards are, but it should hold fairly well imo. Better yet, put a lanyard behind the bolt on the right, and left side.

·
Registered
171 Posts
(Continued from last post)

This way, if the lanyard ever breaks, you have a spare one. I'd use a lanyard with a plastic end, rather than something with metal.

Best idea I could come up with after a long day at work, and @ 2am.

·
22,788 Posts
I just looked at the trunk. The latch has three bolts on it. One the left side. Two on the right. Maybe you could put a lanyard behind one of the bolts.
I think you're onto something. As long as the latch isn't misaligned after the install and prevented from doing its job. Something to watch out for... Nice ideas, guys!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, I appreciate all the great responses. Thanks all for the ideas!

okierich: As to volleyball, the best spike I can do is under the net! :)

·
Registered
654 Posts
I wonder if attaching anything near the latch in the middle would be susceptible to getting caught in the latch area? Might end up messing with the hatch lock if you slam something in there too many times.

How about pushing down on the hatch privacy cover until you can reach the handle? It is attached to the hatch via nylon cords:

You could always replace those cords with something stronger if needed, but you can try it in the meantime...no mods needed.

edit: if simply pushing the hatch privacy cover down works, then you could reinforce the hooks at the top of the nylon with some metal ones bought at a hardware store, and some washers at the bottom of the nylon.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I wonder if attaching anything near the latch in the middle would be susceptible to getting caught in the latch area? Might end up messing with the hatch lock if you slam something in there too many times.
OP can attach a piece of Velcro to both landyard and back of trunk, or OP can remove any attachments from the lanyard. Landyards are usually paper thin. It's not going to damage the latch. Only attachments at the end of a lanyard could have potential of damaging the latch mechanism.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi All,

I just bought my GT. Traded in a 2004 Sonata which was treating me well but I got the "want a new car" bug.

I am 4' 8" tall. Does anyone have any ideas on how and what I can attach to the lift gate so I don't have to jump to pull it down? Yes, I do look comical while doing so. :) I was looking for a place to tie a rope or something but I don't see a good place to do so.

The other thing I want to add are pedal extenders but hate the look of them so resisting. Never had a car with a working airbag so never had to concern myself with it before.

Appreciate the thoughts and feedbacks!
Here in Ontario, Canada if a person has to sit too close to the steering wheel because of their height , then they are able to obtain a letter from the Ministry of Transportation giving them authorization to get their air bag disconnected. I know because I obtained such a letter for when I owned a 1991 Ford Taurus and the Dealer disconnected the air bag after I showed my letter to him. My 2006 Elantra I am not worried about it because these newer model cars have less powerful airbags than before and hopefully don't take our heads off, for those of us that sit close to the steering wheel due to our height.

p.s. they can also install an on and off switch , so if a taller person wants to drive the car they can switch the airbag back on again.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Maybe a 6" stepstool you throw in the back? They make sturdy ones for kids, aerobics, and general household use, even some with waist height support to give you something to hold onto. A stepstool would also give you better access to the back end of the cargo area.

DMV should have resources for state-approved pedal adaptations, if that's something that would make driving easier.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Maybe a 6" stepstool you throw in the back? They make sturdy ones for kids, aerobics, and general household use, even some with waist height support to give you something to hold onto. A stepstool would also give you better access to the back end of the cargo area.

DMV should have resources for state-approved pedal adaptations, if that's something that would make driving easier.
The stepstool is a great idea but they can be dangerous if the ground is slippery . I once had one that slid out from under me in the bathroom. The safest would be to attach something permanent onto the end of the trunk lid that could be reached .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was looking at the place where the cargo cover attaches. It looks like those "hooks" may pull off with too many tugs. I've found another options is to walk around to the side of the car and push down on the outside of the hatch. Not ideal, as hands will get dirty each time, but works. Maybe safer than jumping up in the winter time.

Going to look into the other ideas given tomorrow.

Even with the telescoping steering wheel, the farthest back I can get from the steering wheel is 6-8 inches. So I just ordered pedal extenders. Seemed easier than dealing with US governmental red tape to get the approval for the on/off switch.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I was looking at the place where the cargo cover attaches. It looks like those "hooks" may pull off with too many tugs. I've found another options is to walk around to the side of the car and push down on the outside of the hatch. Not ideal, as hands will get dirty each time, but works. Maybe safer than jumping up in the winter time.

Going to look into the other ideas given tomorrow.

Even with the telescoping steering wheel, the farthest back I can get from the steering wheel is 6-8 inches. So I just ordered pedal extenders. Seemed easier than dealing with US governmental red tape to get the approval for the on/off switch.
What about a long umbrella with a hooked handle, could that pull the trunk lid down ?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Maybe something rigged from one or both rubber knobs at either end. Pulling on one knob brings down the latch. I'm thinking a rod or cord from one , or something triangular rigged from both and meeting in the center -- and there's where Rich's idea of asking the service department starts to sound great.

·
Registered
893 Posts
My suggestion is to keep things simple. The height of the pull slots where you grab the hatch are just over 6', so I imagine it is just barely beyond your reach - all you need is a strap or something that hangs down another six-inches or so that would allow you to get the hatch started down and get these pull slots within your reach.

You could attach a strap in a lot of places. One idea that immediately comes to mind is to sew a loop into the end of a strap and place a small dowel in the loop - then stuff it into the little "emergency tailgate safety release" slot on the inside trim just above the latch. Get the dowel the right diameter and it would be a force fit through the slot, but would not pull out very easily. You'll lose the emergency tailgate function, but in a hatchback, who cares? And the features is pretty silly anyway as you have to have the key on you to make it work.

This is just an idea - there are lots of ways to skin this cat, but I think a simple strap, attached any number of ways, is by far the easiest solution. And its typically what comes standard in larger SUVs with taller hatches.

- Mark

·
Registered
91 Posts
or maybe get a reach stick. they usually have a pinch like grabber on one side, and the other side there is a very short piece that you can use to hook instead of grab.
so use this hook to pull down where you normally would put your fingers to pull. once it is down a few inches your hands can take over lowering it to close. I use a reach stick and it is also great if something is in a hard to reach crevice like between a major appliance and a counter. just pick one up from a hardware store and try one of them out. they are also good in a grocery store to get at stuff either on a high or low shelf.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have this same problem I wouldn't attach anything unless you want to remove the trim cover, for the hatch, and drill and bolt a leather strap similar to a window pull. I have a foldable stool, that I got from amazon, that works well when I need to use the roof rack.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts