Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are peoples thoughts on a program like this. I know in the Sonata, the oil change interval is 7500, so the average person would routinely only change the oil twice a year. Is it worth 500 upfront to not have to worry about paying for an oil change again? One thing you have to factor in is the fact you would be locking in the price at todays market price instead of allowing the oil change to end up costing you a lot more several years down the road.

This is made harder in my case, because of the fact the military moves you and it is hard to say if a participating dealer would be in the area I end up living in.

What are your thoughts on a program like this???

·
Registered
97 Posts
You'll only change the oil 13 times in 100,000 miles. At best, you're talking $38 / change. And you're paying up front so if you end up selling the car, wrecking it, or moving... you're out of luck. Better off to throw $500 in the bank. Better to get interest on it than pay interest (assuming you'd role into the loan).

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
What are peoples thoughts on a program like this. I know in the Sonata, the oil change interval is 7500, so the average person would routinely only change the oil twice a year. Is it worth 500 upfront to not have to worry about paying for an oil change again? One thing you have to factor in is the fact you would be locking in the price at todays market price instead of allowing the oil change to end up costing you a lot more several years down the road.

This is made harder in my case, because of the fact the military moves you and it is hard to say if a participating dealer would be in the area I end up living in.

What are your thoughts on a program like this???
My experience with 2 Hyundai dealers is that they recommend oil changes at 3,500 miles even though the book says 7,500 miles and they charge about $35.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oil changes more frequently

Yeah, I figured if I end up going with this program I would end up changing the oil four times a year. Now if I didn't, then I would stick to the normal schedule and end up doing it only twice a year.

Still interested in getting more feedback. Changing the oil twice a year would mean a savings of only 80 dollars a year currently. I am sure oil change prices will continue to rise.

It is a good point about the possibility of wrecking the car or having to sell it. My plan is to keep the car 7-10 years at a minimum. In that case it would be a no brainer if I knew I would be around a participating dealer the whole time. Unfortunately that is not the case and therefore causes me to either get them to discount the cost or pass on it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Synthetic Oil Changes

They do offer Synthetic oil changes, but that cost is 699 for the lifetime and you don't get as many oil changes a year (because the life of the oil is a lot better).

·
Registered
350 Posts
I went with the pre-paid on both my leases. The first one they sold me at 3000 miles per change. That was before I saw the recommended interval in the manual. When I traded in the 2011 for the 2013 I mentioned that and they told me they credit any unused ones to the new lease. The new lease I have the prepaid oil changes at 5000 miles.

I figure with the lease I am not out anything if something happens to the car since the price is added to the lease payment. If the car is totaled I would not have made the payments on the unused oil changes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts