Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what the life expectancy has been on others Tiburon's before you started having a lot of problems.... How many miles they have on them bfore you start getting into big repairs and what big repairs have been needed.

I am trying to determine if it is the time to look to sell or if I might get a lot more out of my little one.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Originally posted by ladibug1175@Apr 28 2006, 10:28 AM
Just wondering what the life expectancy has been on others Tiburon's before you started having a lot of problems.... How many miles they have on them bfore you start getting into big repairs and what big repairs have been needed.

I am trying to determine if it is the time to look to sell or if I might get a lot more out of my little one.
[snapback]38073[/snapback]​

That depends.

A well looked after car will last and last, the same rings true for any car (apart from a dodge neon which seem to be set to self destruct at the 60k mark).

What you have to figure in is has your car been looked after? previously and by you?

My car wasnt, the brakes were done, the trans leaking and the engine running like an old bag.

Since then I have flushed the trans and changed the filter and gaskets (still a small leak from the leak plugs because the O rings are shot and I have been procrastinating doing them but its nothing severe) I have also replaced all the brakes, fitted a CAI for more performance and changed the spark plug wires and plugs.

Next week I will be changing all of the belts and getting the oil changed.

And that's all been within the space of 7 months because the idiots that owned my car prior treated it as a disposable car.

That's not the case, alot of people think with the mentality that when you buy a new car it doesnt need looking after, just not true.

Most buy a new car, then 5 years later trade it at around 50k and get another new one.. what's the point? it's an investment, you protect it and youll get your money's worth.

I aim to keep my tib for years to come, it's cheap to run, cheap to repair and loads of fun... the bottom line is that I am well aware what it takes to keep it reliable and roadworthy.

Every 1000 miles I run a gas treatment, every 4k miles an injector flush, every year change the plugs and wires and so on, as the car gets older I have the oil changed 100 miles early as time goes on and my car feels and drives like new.

Preventative maintainance is the secret to a long life of a car, instead of waiting for things to break and then play the costly game of catchup make sure that you are doing everything to keep that car in good condition.. that way when something does go wrong you wont get any really nasty suprises.

See something else I have thought over is this...

My tib (98 FX) is worth around $6k here in NJ (more than most other states) it's cheap to run and so on.

Now, a replacement engine on ebay is around $800 shipped to me with less than 40k on.

To get that fitted youd be looking around $1000, so even for the layman who couldnt do it himself that's $1800 for a newer engine fitted.

Same with the trans, auto trans on ebay with around 30-40k on it sells for around $600 mark shipped to you, again about the same to get it fitted.

So why on earth would you want to go out and pay another $6k for a car around the same age (7-8 yrs or so) when you have one that could be kept on the road?

In the U.K now cars cannot be scrapped or dumped for free, these days you have to pay a recycling fee which is astronomical.. so people more and more are keeping what they have and looking after it, and keeping it on the road much longer, getting their money's worth out of it.

And that's the way it should be !

Remember folks, a Tib is for life, not just for christmas :p

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
The original notional design life of the 2.0 [4 Beta engine was 180K miles, before major stripdown/rebuild is required.

Nick.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hiii
iHave a 2000 Tibbs -- she's at 136k miles and still as purrtty as can be.
in and out!

iAgree, treat 'er with love and she'll last 4ever...
she's well kept, and no issues
if iHave 6k to throw around, it for sure wouldnt be on another car.

but 2each their own :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Although this is an old thread, I though I would supplement it with info on my latest purchase.

I bought a 1999 FX Coupe 6 months ago, if has 140,000+ klm on the clock now and was driven by a little old lady. I'm about to do the filter and oil, this weekend and replace the pads and I also need to inspect the belt. Some time soon it needs a new clutch, apart from that it hasn't been thrashed, previous owner had it 10-15 years I think and looked after it. So like any vehicle, look after it and you should get stacks of trouble free miles, my 2 other cars both have 235,000 on them and i service them every 5000klm so they run OK but 1 now needs the inlet gaskets replaced which will be a 8-10hour job all up... still very easy.

Sid

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a '99 Tiburon with 217,600 miles. I've just started having some issues in the last year or so but nothing I've had to fix.
She has been an angel. Never ever gave me trouble. Just once I had to fix the accelerator and a radiator hose. That's pretty much the "big" things that have broken down.
And.. i've never really taken good care of her. :(

Just the last couple of weeks she started to have slight jerking. Mechanic said it could be one or a few things since the 3 codes that came up are related.
Probably a Mass Air Flow issue or vacuum leak.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts