Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the screws are stripped on my license plate... i want to get it off but i can't get those screws out!

edit: i'm not just saying this as a statement, i'm asking if anyone has any suggestions on how to get them out

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
How far can you get them out? If you've got enough room to get a pair of needle-nose pliers in there, lock it down snugly on the head of the screw and turn while pulling out. If this doesn't work, get a friend to help apply some rear pressure on the head of the screw to help it get past the stripped portion. I had an issue with the screws holding in the side marker light on my old Santa Fe and it took me at least an hour to get them free so just be forewarned, some swearing and frustration might be in your future.

Don't be afraid to improvise and good luck! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
587 Posts
The screws fasten into plastic so if they are turning but not backing out it may be as simple as trying to get something thin like a putty knife or small screwdriver under the head of the screw. Then you can exert some upward pressure on the head of the screw as you are turning it and it may come out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You may want to try putting a rubberband over the screw than trying to unscrew it. I've done this several times. The rubberband gives you more surface area to grip on the screw and the screwdriver.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Be prepared to ruin your license plate. I pulled mine out after fighting it and did it by pulling it out with the plate.

Shoulda replaced both at the time but didn't ..... now the other one is stripped.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (craigbrooks @ Oct 25 2010, 05:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366225
Be prepared to ruin your license plate. I pulled mine out after fighting it and did it by pulling it out with the plate.

Shoulda replaced both at the time but didn't ..... now the other one is stripped.
what exactly did you pull out? just the screws and the plate came with it? or like the actual things they screw into

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
The white plastic thing that the screw goes in. The doohickey that is causing your/our problem.

Fortunately I was changing plates so ripping the plate up was not a problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts