Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I currently own a 2015 LF Sonata Sport Limited with the ultimate package. Lately I’ve been looking at the hybrids. Right now I average 23 mpg combined city and highway. Anyone on here own both? I really like the looks of the hybrids better and gas mileage is a plus too. Not sure if it would be worth trading in my baby.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
According to the "experts" buying a new hybrid will not save you money as the extra costs of the hybrid is suppose to offset the better gas mileage. You would have to see what they give you (not as much as you expect) for your current car and if you have to have a payment, the interest you will be paying and the tax you will pay.

Do you drive a lot to make up for the difference ?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I don't think OP is asking about the economics of a hybrid, I might be wrong.

I can tell you what, OP, doe: 2016 Sonata PHEV's 0-60 time at 7.6s is better than that of 2016 2.0T at 8.0s. Dat instant 120Nm of torque!

·
Registered
740 Posts
23 MPG? There goes my idea of getting a 2.0T if I decide to replace my hybrid. I was thinking that 8.0 second 0-60 seems kind of slow for turbo. I did a quick search on Motor Trend's site -

Despite many changes, Hyundai kept the same engines. Most buyers will find the standard 2.4-liter engine sufficient with 185 hp, as we’ve noted before. The 2.0-liter turbo-four engine still makes 245 hp and 260 lb-ft of torque, but it receives a new eight-speed automatic transmission. The turbocharged Sonata drives like a V-6 without feeling bulky.

Remarkably, our turbocharged 2018 Sonata tester went from 0 to 60 mph in 7.1 seconds. That’s almost a whole second quicker than the prerefresh 2015 Sonata Sport 2.0T we clocked at 8.0 seconds.

Unfortunately, this more potent Sonata is slower than its direct competitors. A 2018 Honda Accord 2.0T Touring we tested reached 60 mph in just 5.7 seconds, tying a 2017 Chevrolet Malibu 2.0T Premier we’ve also tested.

The Sonata also fell behind in the quarter-mile run with a time of 15.3 seconds at 93.7 mph. The Accord managed the run in 14.3 seconds at 99.3 mph, and the Malibu sped through the test in 14.3 seconds at 99.4 mph.
>>>

I believe the hybrid is a 16.0-16.3 second car if fuel economy is being tossed aside for a little performance.

As MPGs, my '14 is solidly in the mid-30s without trying. 40+ is easy when I pay attention to driving for mileage.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I believe the hybrid is a 16.0-16.3 second car if fuel economy is being tossed aside for a little performance.
From this motortrend article:

"At the track, the [2016] Sonata PHEV did 0-60 in 7.6 seconds before finishing the quarter mile in 15.9 seconds at 88.9 mph, making it quicker than the 245-hp Sonata 2.0T and the Sonata Eco, which hit 60 mph in 8.0 and 7.8 seconds during our testing."

2016 Hyundai Sonata Plug-In Hybrid First Test Review

·
Registered
740 Posts
From this motortrend article:

"At the track, the [2016] Sonata PHEV did 0-60 in 7.6 seconds before finishing the quarter mile in 15.9 seconds at 88.9 mph, making it quicker than the 245-hp Sonata 2.0T and the Sonata Eco, which hit 60 mph in 8.0 and 7.8 seconds during our testing."

2016 Hyundai Sonata Plug-In Hybrid First Test Review
The 2018 2.0T is mated to an 8 speed transmission. It's probably geared different for better performance. Not a bad time for the PHEV.

As long as his current car is trouble free it's always cheaper to keep a car as many years as possible.
I keep going back and forth on what I'll do with my car. I've had it for 4 years and I like to drive something different once in awhile. I was into racing for many years so I also want something faster. That's why I've been considering the 2.0T as a replacement. Well, that and the long warranty that most other manufactures don't offer. On the other hand, I like seeing the loan get closer to zero so I rather not have another one for $25K plus in the near future. I might just keep my car, pay it off then get something like a Mustang convertible after that. That will give me a car that gets great mileage and hopefully no expensive repairs plus I'll have something fun to drive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts