Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone actually like the hideous looking Lexus grille?
A year or so ago when I first saw one I could hardly believe my eyes.

Jalopnik thinks it is killing Lexus sales, I would agree.

If I shell out north of 50K-us$, it has to be a good looking car.
Most Hyundai's are not beautiful cars, but it's all relative. :x

Attachments

·
Registered
2,156 Posts

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ccKPSVQcFk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPL7QPCfVZc

Lexus US car sales figures Nothing is killing their sales. Looks pretty consistent matching simple economic adjustments.
In Jan in the US the Lexus RX sold 6730, up 22% from Jan 17, and the Sante Fe - both models sold 7677 . The RX has been a huge success for Lexus and has consistently been in the top 5 for resale value for decades, I looked at buying an off lease one back in 2013 and found it had to believe how well they hold their value, and in test driving a number they do have a really solid feel to them.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
But forgot to add - I don't care for the frontal look.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
I like the Cylon/Stormtrooper/grouper-fish looking grill. It looks like it wants to bite you.

·
Registered
13,349 Posts

I think I started a similar thread when that model came out. And since then, that grille, or a variant, has spread not only across Lexus lines, but has also infected many Toyota models as well.

It has to be the single ugliest thing I have ever seen on the front of a car. Even worse than the Edsel "oval".

Reactions: FuelSolGood

·
Registered
3,962 Posts

I am not crazy about the pic you have there,but,love any of their F cars. Pic below of Sonata vs Lexus.I would take the car on the left any day of the week if we did not need a practical go getter......:).

Attachments

Reactions: mogleybear

·
Registered
843 Posts
I can't say that I love it, but I can't say that I dislike it either. Depends on the particular vehicle, color, etc. Having owned a 2004 Lexus GX (which we traded for the Santa Fe) I would have to say that the quality of the my particular GX was top notch. I'm not saying we aren't pleased with the Santa Fe, we are very pleased. I also like the looks of the Santa Fe, which many people do not. I think Lexus / Toyota is trying to keep away from the mainstream looking vehicles. In my opinion almost every manufacturer now has a a very similar grill shape as the Hyundai line. What's that they say about "imitation....". Ha ha!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's gotten angrier since.
The new Lexus looks like it was already in an accident. :)

"Mr. Fukuichi, global design chief for Lexus, defends the decision..."
F.. I mean screw up.

I am surprise no one sells an aftermarket red eye scanner for the brow.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Ever notice except for some cosmetic changes, namely the grille and the tail lights, all these unibody cars are the same! That's because the DOT designed these crush absorbent bodies.

Ha, compared a Cruze with a Cadillac CTS, 220 HP more with the latter you can't even use, only one inch more of rear seat space, and a couple of more toys, but for $40,000.00 more! Well it did have the Caddy emblem.

One nice feature on some of them double wishbone suspension, saves on tire scrub wear, but should only add about ten bucks to the cost of the car.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Agree...is Darth Vader that popular? :surprise:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
In my world people buy Lexus based on perception of reliability. The RX300 at home was replaced by an RX350 just because it was a Lexus.

What I like about the new grill is the shape of the bumper. It is angled like the Elantra. Makes it easier to take the garbage out. :grin2:

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
I am not crazy about the pic you have there,but,love any of their F cars. Pic below of Sonata vs Lexus.I would take the car on the left any day of the week if we did not need a practical go getter......:).
I would definitely have to do something with that grille! UGH!

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
In my world people buy Lexus based on perception of reliability. The RX300 at home was replaced by an RX350 just because it was a Lexus.

What I like about the new grill is the shape of the bumper. It is angled like the Elantra. Makes it easier to take the garbage out. :grin2:
Ha, can buy three loaded Elantra Limited's for the price of one Lexus, wonder which choice would give you more service for your money.

Bet the tires on that Lexus will have to be replaced after 40K miles, if you are lucky.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Ha, can buy three loaded Elantra Limited's for the price of one Lexus, wonder which choice would give you more service for your money.

Bet the tires on that Lexus will have to be replaced after 40K miles, if you are lucky.
Exactly. I would take the Elantra any day over the Lexus. Not a fan of the interior. The tires are huge. It is hard to park. It is going to cost a fortune to replace them. The one good thing is yearly oil changes up to 10K miles.

Of course Lexus dealerships have a way of rewarding you for your loyalty with expensive service charges. :grin2:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts