Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've read just about every post on the Fuel Consumption Chatboard, and was wondering if I could pick some brains.

Firstly, has anyone attempted the "drive'r till shes dry" method to see what the max distance is of the 66 L tank (of course varying based on rate of consumption)?

Secondly, does anyone know what warnings/indicators are displayed when you begin to get low on gas? Here is what I've noted from last night and this morning:

1) 65 kms estimated gas range (~ 40 miles), yellow gas indicator comes on, navigation displays a prompts asking if you'd like it to find closest gas station

2) 50 kms estimated gas range (~ 31 miles), distance to empty display changes to "- - -"

3) ~ -20 kms (meaning 20 kms past distance displaying "- - -" [~ -12.5 miles]), last gas gauge brick begins to blink

4) ~ -40 kms (~ -25 miles), navigation displays a prompts asking if you'd like it to find closest gas station

What my question here is, before running out of gas, does the final brick disappear? Or is the blinking brick and final prompt the last indicators the Fe gets? Will update tonight with volume of fuel the tank accepts when I fill up after work.

I accidentally cleared Trip B when tracking when/how long the last brick began blinking, so from memory I think I'm at about 500-510 kms on this tank, and the display was showing an average of 11.0L/100kms (21.4 mpg)

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Firstly, has anyone attempted the "drive'r till shes dry" method to see what the max distance is of the 66 L tank (of course varying based on rate of consumption)?
I have been curious too, but not willing to try this as doing so could end up with [email protected] from the bottom of my tank clogging up my fuel system...simply not worth it.

Secondly, does anyone know what warnings/indicators are displayed when you begin to get low on gas? Here is what I've noted from last night and this morning:

1) 65 kms estimated gas range (~ 40 miles), yellow gas indicator comes on, navigation displays a prompts asking if you'd like it to find closest gas station

2) 50 kms estimated gas range (~ 31 miles), distance to empty display changes to "- - -"

3) ~ -20 kms (meaning 20 kms past distance displaying "- - -" [~ -12.5 miles]), last gas gauge brick begins to blink

4) ~ -40 kms (~ -25 miles), navigation displays a prompts asking if you'd like it to find closest gas station
I can confirm mine works the same way, even though I have the XL with 6 cyl engine.

What my question here is, before running out of gas, does the final brick disappear? Or is the blinking brick and final prompt the last indicators the Fe gets?
I suspect blinking brick is the final indicator....probably designed this way to try to get driver's attention. But, again, have not driven to dry, so cannot confirm.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I've gone at least 30 miles every time the gas light blinks. Then when I fill up with gas, I'm still only putting in approx 15-16 gallons in a 17.4 gallon tank.

·
Registered
759 Posts
i've only gone as far as the blinking last brick.

Like you, I get the orange light around 65-70 km to empty.
Then, the " - - - " when I hit right when the "50 km left" goes away (so 49 km left)
Then the blinking brick somewhere around the 25km left mark...
I dont' have NAV, so i'm assuming that's all that happens - haven't run out of gas just to see what happens.. .and don't plan to!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How the **** are you getting 500-510 averaging 11.0L/100km?? I'm at BEST 410-420km average per tank!
That's exactly why people are complaining about the fuel gauge and indicator light being so inaccurate.

Are you filling up right when the gas light comes on or when the hash-marks start blinking on the range?

If you fill up right as the gas light comes on there's likely at least 1/5-1/6 (est.) of a tank still left when you're filling up. Last time I got gas when the indicator came on, I was probably around 400-410 kms in range, and it only accepted ~50-52 L of fuel, which means there was still ~14-16 L of fuel remaining in the tank.

What does eco-meter say your avg consumption is?

If you do a bit of simple math, I would figure the MAX! distance on our vehicle is farther than we've been pushing (assuming there is any form of accuracy in the consumption displayed on the dash). All things being equal, and assuming outputs from the Fe are accurate (which I know they're not), if you consumed every last ounce of gas, math says you should be able to get 600 kms out of a tank @ 11 L/100kms, on a 66 L tank.

I'd never come close or chance it, so I'm just happy when I get past 500 kms per tank.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Mine is all over the board. Last fill up I had two bricks showing and it was showing 32 miles left on the tank. I have had it show 64+/- miles left and two bricks, two bricks and 80+/- miles left. I just flat don't trust the system after it was showing one brick 12 miles left and the light glowing and all I could put in it was 13.615 gallons. That was on a trip.
It is a habit now, two bricks and fill it!! The miles left is always the different even driving the same routes daily.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the final numbers were as follows:

- the tank took 59.XXX L (or 15.5XX gal), 60.XXX L (or 15.8XX gal) with a couple extra trigger pulls, meaning there could have been between 4-6 L left in the tank before filling
- drove 43 kms (or 26.7 miles) after the Range displayed "- - -"
- drove 26 kms (or 16.2 miles) after the last brick began linking
- avg. economy was 11.0 L/100kms or 21.38 mpg
- range displayed 551 kms (342 miles) after fill

I guess I'll just have to remind myself, if my economy is roughly around 11 L/100kms, I can probably squeeze that 50 kms when the range displays "- - -"

·
Registered
165 Posts
When my last bar was blinking, I filled the tank and based on the manual, I subtracted the amount I pumped and determined there was still 6 litres in the tank.

Lurn to read

·
Registered
759 Posts
How the **** are you getting 500-510 averaging 11.0L/100km?? I'm at BEST 410-420km average per tank!
It'll get better with the warner weather. I was sitting at 11.2/100 all summer.... Since winter hit, 13.2/100. I went from 530 km/tank to 450 km/tank.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Whhhaaat??? 500km per tank??? my 13 SFS limited shows 380km till empty when i fill up to the brim and max I've ever pulled out of a tank is 400... how on earth do you do 500?

·
Registered
427 Posts
guys, it depends on a LOT of factors....

my maxima can do 8L/100km when going 105 on a country road
can do 20L/100km in city driving.....
can do 17 average during winter with remote starter
can do 13 average during summer
can do anywhere between 9 and 13 during summer depending on my driving.
did 30L/100km in montreal traffic.

It just varies a lot. Wind, road, acceleration, speed, traffic, ...

getting 11 average with the SFS is really good IMO.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I filled up last night with the bars solid and added about 58 liters. (Probably 45 km's left in the tank with average speed of 43 km/h during trip.) The range after the fill said 534 km's to empty. The fuel economy was 10.0 l/100km and 508 km's driven since last fill. The math indicated 11.45 l/100km.
I have the 2.4 liter AWD engine.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Whhhaaat??? 500km per tank??? my 13 SFS limited shows 380km till empty when i fill up to the brim and max I've ever pulled out of a tank is 400... how on earth do you do 500?
guys, it depends on a LOT of factors....

my maxima can do 8L/100km when going 105 on a country road
can do 20L/100km in city driving.....
can do 17 average during winter with remote starter
can do 13 average during summer
can do anywhere between 9 and 13 during summer depending on my driving.
did 30L/100km in montreal traffic.

It just varies a lot. Wind, road, acceleration, speed, traffic, ...

getting 11 average with the SFS is really good IMO.
Don't know what to tell you...
I have the SFS SE AWD 2.0T. I don't drive "super aggressive", but i'd say "aggressive". 120/130 km/h on the highway - above average in the city. I've put on 29,880 km in the past 13 months since i picked it up. Started off with higher consumption, but as the warmer weather came, and more km's were driven - i got it down to 11.1-11.2 L/100. On a highway road trip from southern ontario to Ottawa, all highway on cruise control, I got it down to 8.4 L/100 on that one trip! I've never seen under 446 km on the "until empty" screen after a fill up.

So... since the winter came around, i've been stuck at 13.2 L/100 or 450 km to empty on a full tank. But in the summer - i'm getting that 11.2 or 530 km to empty per tank.

No car starter - just hop in and go after a few seconds of warming up (under 30 seconds). Once the nicer weather hits, i'll take a photo for you...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow, awesome! I do the same - don't drive "super aggressive", but i'd say "aggressive". 120/130 km/h on the highway - above average in the city, butmy numbers are always around 15L/100 in the city and around 400 km to empty on a super-full-to-the-brim tank.
My old 2002 Infiniti i35 would do better than this...
Does ECO mode have absolutely any significance at all, you think?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts