Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked the oil this morning and noticed the oil level went up. I've been doing city driving in cold temperatures for 4,100 miles so far. Do you guys think it is moisture? I check the oil when the engine is cold and the oil settles to the bottom.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Is it discolored at all? Milky in color?

·
Registered
639 Posts
How long did the car sit before checking it? Oil certainly cannot "expand" on its own, but the longer the car sits, more oil has time to drain into the pan from the engine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Your oil level will be higher when the oil is at operating temperature vs when it is cold. Oil expands like any other liquid when hot. Always check it when cold.

Also, make sure you are checking it properly. Pull the dipstick, wipe it, put it all the way back in then pull it out and check it.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How long did the car sit before checking it? Oil certainly cannot "expand" on its own, but the longer the car sits, more oil has time to drain into the pan from the engine.
About 12 hours. This morning I went on the highway. I just checked my oil now. Oil is back to no rmal. I wonder what substance I burned off.

Your oil level will be higher when the oil is at operating temperature vs when it is cold. Oil expands like any other liquid when hot. Always check it when cold.

Also, make sure you are checking it properly. Pull the dipstick, wipe it, put it all the way back in then pull it out and check it.
Like I said, I only check it cold. Wiped it too. The oil level seemed to level after I drove on the highway this morning and let the car sit for 12 hours. I wonder if I burned off moisture or fuel?

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
No discoloration or milkiness.
In that case you're done... thinking nothing of it.

I rarely get the same reading twice, probably due to the lumpy pavement around here. As long as it's between the lines I move on to more important things :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts