Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else receive a letter from a lawyer wanting to do a class action suit againest Hyundai for the advertised gas mileage? I got one this week from a Lawyer in Virginia.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I think Hyundai stepped up nicely with the gas reimbursement program. There's always some blood sucking lawyer ready to go after corporations to make millions for themselves (and plaintiffs get a check for $1.48) in the name of "fairness". Bullspit.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I don't believe lowering it to 38 mpg was fair enough. I regularly get 19-22 mpg. I keep track religiously on fueleconomy.gov

Even my 2001 Prelude got mileage as advertised and that had a purpose built motor.

I expect way more than a measely $100 gift card every year.

·
Registered
417 Posts
If I remember correctly, one of the things we signed away when we accepted the Hyundai mileage debit card was your right to sue. Acceptance was full compensation. I'm not complaining.

On every class action suit that I have been with, only one, an American Express International use suit, has made me anything more than a few cents. Class action suits are a big way for lawyers to get rich and the rest get screwed.

So you may have to pay Hyundai back what they gave you, then you get a few cents back from the class action suit. Not good math in my book.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I tried to apply for the rebate and it said my car did not qualify according to the vin number as mine was sold with the corrected rating.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I think Hyundai stepped up nicely with the gas reimbursement program. There's always some blood sucking lawyer ready to go after corporations to make millions for themselves (and plaintiffs get a check for $1.48) in the name of "fairness". Bullspit.
This. Over and over and over and over.

My dad joined a class action lawsuit against Honda Motor and Michelin regarding the PAX run-flat tires fitted to his Acura RL and all he got was $110 voucher towards a compact spare tire kit that Honda doesn't even make. Meanwhile I'm sure the lawyer who started it made tens of millions.

I'll keep my rebate card, thank you very much.

·
22,788 Posts
Meanwhile I'm sure the lawyer who started it made tens of millions.

I'll keep my rebate card, thank you very much.
+1 Same song, different musicians. The musicians get to show off on stage while the audience in the cheap seats can't see them perform. The sound system sucks, too. But what do the musicians care? They already have their BIG FAT checks. Just another way for the mouthpieces to get into your shorts. The sad part is the number of people that are agreeable with letting them do it.

A little bit of something (fuel reimbursements) is better than a whole lot of nothing.

A unique thing to do would be to file a class action lawsuit against the lawyers that filed the original class action suit and sue them for taking 95% of the money in the first suit. There you have it, Perpetual Motion, defined!

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Also it makes better financial business for Hyundai to let the cat out of the bag and tell people they messed up because even if it means paying customers tens of millions in rebates it pacifies most owners so they avoid hundreds of millions in potential legal fees and lawsuits. I guarantee you the legal department down in Fountain Valley burned the midnight oil on that one when the error was first discovered.

·
22,788 Posts
Yep! those corporate General Counsels and the Plaintiff attorneys can keep this thing tied up in court with appeals until the original owners have traded in their Elantra's, bought something else to fuss about, and completely forgot about the entire issue. Then they can settle the case for a big lump sum and walk off like thieves in the night. Juris Prudence, I believe they call it?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts

+1 Attorneys get all the money, owners, peanuts

·
22,788 Posts
I haven't heard anything about this. It sounds like you guys all dealt with this a while back... is this still going on?
Not sure, personally. Just a brief history, Scotty: When it was determined by an outside government agency that Hyundai had missed on their MPG figures for several of their models, Hyundai was proactive in announcing a fuel reimbursement program for current owners that had purchased various models within, and up to, a certain time frame.

Or course, there were those that cried "Foul" and wanted to seek redress within the legal system. And why not? This is such a litigious age we live in, now. Suppose you accidentally nick your cuticle while trimming a fingernail. Shouldn't you have the right to sue the nail clipper's manufacturer for millions in damages? Puh-leeze.

Of course, rumors ran wild of lawsuits to rectify this grievous oversight by Hyundai. Some owners alleged Hyundai knowingly fudged on their MPG calculations. Who really knows? Who really cares? Have you EVER actually believed any of those posted MPG estimates on the window stickers when you bought a vehicle?

These same owners went as far as citing a woman that won a suit against Honda for her car's MPG errors. But few said anything when the court later overturned the initial verdict and ruled in favor of Honda.

Not to start a debate of "right vs. wrong," but I side with Hyundai on this. In the early 70's, Mazda recalled EVERY vehicle they had manufactured with a Wankel-designed rotary engine due to failure(s). It didn't matter if you bought the car new, used, or found it on the road dead. If your name was on the title, they installed a new conventional power plant under the hood. No questions asked. They stood behind their name. A bold AND expensive move that Mazda wasn't forced to do. But it was the right move. It cost Mazda warehouses full of money to do this. Hyundai has also done, IMHO, the right thing.​

So, let these attorneys get involved, let them solicit for clients, let them do whatever they do to correct whatever it is that they feel is incorrect. Let them attempt to right the alleged grievous wrong. Whatever. Then, sit back and watch this circus unfold its tent. It should be worth a couple of dollars in entertainment value for their clients.​

So far, I've received approximately $300+ on reimbursements from Hyundai on two Elantras. That's about $290 more than I amateurishly calculate the owners named in any Class Action suit will ever see, much less receive...if it even gets to that point. It's the lawyers that will get a hefty paycheck. They will dine on prime rib while their clients clamor through the cupboards looking for Hamburger Helper.​

I'm ranting, again. :rant2:​

·
Registered
639 Posts
Right on Rich!

Having said that, we were concerned post-purchase about the mpg we could realistically expect from our Elantra, and after one year and 18k miles, we are very happy with it. It has exceeded our expectations in that regard, and many others (consistently returning 31-34 mpg) on my wife's daily commute and trumping by 3-4 mpg from her previous Nissan Versa.

Hyundai did the right thing, and we appreciate them treating us to dinner every time we file for the reimbursement.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Let's not forget that the likelihood that you would ever experience the same MPG as listed on ANY vehicle sold in North America is slim to none. The testing that they do is in a controlled environment inside a building. Unless everyone is driving their vehicles indoors these days, it's pretty rare to achieve such results.

The reason they do this however, is so that everyone is tested in the same way under the same circumstances so that the numbers are relevant to one another, but not necessarily to what you will achieve.

Personally, I only every use it as a guide to see how much better or worse one car is compared to another.

That's my nickle for you....we don't have pennies in Canada anymore, so our thoughts now cost 3 cents more....crazy huh!

·
Registered
370 Posts
The question was whether you got a letter, not what do you think about pursuing alternatives, lol.

I didn't get a letter, sounds like an independent attorney drumming up business. But I wonder if it signals new activity on what ten months ago appeared to be an Agreement in Principle for alternatives that seemed like pretty good deals for Hyundai, like lump sum (eliminating reoccurring admin costs), or the business-incentive options of offering 1.5x points to apply toward Hyundai service costs, or 2x points toward next Hyundai auto purchase.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
I received $211 from my first prepaid card from Hyundai and I will get a card per year untill I sell the vehicle so no thanks to the peanuts a lawsuit would give me.

·
22,788 Posts
This is why I didn't go for the card. I'm waiting to see if their is going to be a lump sum.
The last day for qualified owners to enroll for the fuel reimbursement was November 30, 2013.

That may be why the letter went out. After the deadline had expired? I don't know. I didn't get the letter. But I don't live in Virginia either and I did opt for the fuel reimbursement.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts