Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
bkjjohn, have you towed with your vehicle? I have the same model as you and want to tow a motorcycle and trailer (together around 2000 pounds) from Houston to Winter Park CO.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T FWD (Machine Gray/Espresso Gray)
1,577 Posts
Bought a 2017 Starcraft AR-ONE 16BH. A little over 2500Lbs dry weight. Easy pulling local, no highways yet. I will have my Bluetooth ODBC II Module linked up to monitor temps, etc.

Waiting on this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005SB6RSU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JQ99SDD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002Q80GS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Your problem is going to be the additional weight that you put inside that trailer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Your problem is going to be the additional weight that you put inside that trailer.
Understood. It's should not be a problem as I will be under capacity. I'm shooting for a recommended 10% to 20% safety margin of the 3500 lbs. I am planning to pull it mostly empty. Just a full 20 lb propane tank. No water/septic in the tanks, just some linen and clothing, a few pots and pan and utensils and maybe a small toolbox. Plus the weight of the weight dist hitch and sway bar at 100lbs and only two passengers in the Sante Fe. I am planning on hitting the local truck stop to get a true weight before leaving. Should be interesting.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hope you realize that you should include pax weight in addition to your hitch weight to ensure you don't exceed the vehicle cargo carrying capacity and max axle weight.

The 2.0T is barely suited, reliability wise, to pull its own weight, and towing a trailer regularly is a premature death sentence.

For a previous poster, towing 2k lbs from Texas to CO should be fine and strongly consider using a high HTHS oil under those severe conditions.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hope you realize that you should include pax weight in addition to your hitch weight to ensure you don't exceed the vehicle cargo carrying capacity and max axle weight.

The 2.0T is barely suited, reliability wise, to pull its own weight, and towing a trailer regularly is a premature death sentence.

For a previous poster, towing 2k lbs from Texas to CO should be fine and strongly consider using a high HTHS oil under those severe conditions.
Of course, kind of implied by mentioning just 2 passengers, I take into account all vehicle cargo including fuel and the 50 lb hitch weight. As for the 2.0 being barely suited? I disagree at this point, with the low torque range and HP of the 2.0T I believe it can work and I am well aware of the past issues with the Thetas. If it doesn't feel right, it's a Palisade or the Telluride.

·
Registered
90 Posts
We came home yesterday with a 2013 Flagstaff 228BH popup. I ordered the Anderson WDH. I still need to get the actual tongue weight, but dry is about 330. This is what it looks like with a battery and propane. I have not upgraded to the larger springs but do have the sumo spring helpers installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hi everyone, I just wanted to update everyone as I made the original post on this thread. You have a beautiful trailer @bkjjohn, I also looked at that but with a family of four we wanted something a little bigger, so we ended up going with an Apex Nano 193BHS, comes in about 4,100 weight loaded.

Unfortunately we traded in the 19 SF 2.0T, as we really wanted more towing capacity and a bigger car so...we traded up to the Limited Palisade! We really enjoyed the Santa Fe and would get it again if our situation changes in the future, we use an Anderson Tow hitch which we highly recommend if you have tongue weight limitations. We've towed with it about a 1/2 dozen times, and although you can feel it towing, with the HDA for long freeway drives we really like it.

I know this post technically doesn't belong in thread, but wanted to bring some closure to my original question and if I change my situation in the future a small 16 trailer or teardrop would be the way to go!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I feel sick because I am afraid I made a costly mistake, and really hope someone knows the answer.

I just purchased a 2020 2.0t Santa Fe without the towing package.
I had UHaul install a hitch and tow brake system and booked a trailer that weighs 2500lbs.

1st question - The manual says
Standard package 2,000 (907) 2,000 (907)
Trailer package 2,800 (1,270) 3,501 (1,588)

Since I didn't buy the towing package am I limited to 2000lbs?

2nd question - A lot of replies in this thread seem to suggest a 2500lbs camper + 500lbs (300lbs from passengers and 200lbs cargo) is too heavy for our car even with the 3500lbs towing capacity. Am I going to damage my car? What if I drive very slow on back roads and only drive 1.5 hours on pretty flat roads.

I really appreciate any responses, especially in regards to the tow package question, did I screw myself not buying it?

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
742 Posts
The towing package includes transmission cooler, wiring, and load level rear suspension.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rambokid thank you for the reply!
Do you know if I can get that aftermarket, or am I just screwed and have a 2000lb towing capacity?

3rd question - The manual says there is Certification label on the drivers door sill near the center pillar, but its not there on mine. Anyone know if where it could be? I checked all the sills and the trunk.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't think there is a 2020 SF factory towing package but I could be wrong. There wasn't one for the 2019.
You should be fine. I pulled a 2550lb dry weight, 2800lb loaded weight (Cat Scale) TT from Chicago to Tennessee and back with no issues with my 2019 SF 2T. Had added the Curt receiver, WDH hitch and brake controller. 2 Adults. Keep the trailer load light as possible and weight to the front of the trailer, do not exceed the payload of either vehicle, tire pressures to max rating, 65 MPH or less, run in 6th or 7th up hills. When stopping, let the engine run so the turbo cools down. Do a search on my username for my previous posts.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Rambokid thank you for the reply!
Do you know if I can get that aftermarket, or am I just screwed and have a 2000lb towing capacity?

3rd question - The manual says there is Certification label on the drivers door sill near the center pillar, but its not there on mine. Anyone know if where it could be? I checked all the sills and the trunk.
You have a 3500 lb towing capacity if the trailer has brakes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
bkjjohn thank you!
I decided to call Hyundai and get the official answer, and with my VIN he pulled up the info and it says it has the trailer package (which the dealer never mentioned) so I think the trailer package is default on the at least the 2020 2.0t models. There is a towing package the dealership offered but that is just a hitch + wiring.

I asked the Representative about where the certification label could be and said the door sill. Since its not there i'm going to call the dealership. I'll update with my findings.

Thanks for the reply!

21 - 40 of 47 Posts