Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The stock tires on my 2012 Elantra will have to be replaced soon, 34000 miles. Any suggestions? I live in California and don't drive in snow that often.
I'm not very impressed with the Hankooks that the car came with.

·
22,793 Posts
I'm not very impressed with the Hankooks that the car came with.
OEM tires rarely get any applause! Do some research on TireRack.com and read the reviews on the various brands. I'm looking for "softer ride, quiet, & tread wear." Winter traction isn't that important to me in our climate. There are some good reviews on here if you search for them.

If you can hold out until Black Friday, there's "usually" some great buys then. Plus rebates.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I dumped those Hankooks POS for some Michelin Defender and have been very happy with them :) Handling is much better now and 90,000 miles warranty won't hurt either! I would recommend getting them from Costco or Sam's as they will fix your flats for free as long as you own them.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
I dumped those Hankooks POS for some Michelin Defender and have been very happy with them :) Handling is much better now and 90,000 miles warranty won't hurt either! I would recommend getting them from Costco or Sam's as they will fix your flats for free as long as you own them.
I'll second that. It's hard to go wrong with Michelins purchased from Costco.

I would also recommend finding a good locally-owner tire shop, and seeking their opinion. (In Ottawa I like Frisby Tire) There's something about the small-business experience... these guys just try harder. They do appointments, they do lifetime perks, and they just seem more tuned-in to what works for local drivers. The price is generally competitive, too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your comments, according to tirerack.com's surveys the Michelin and Pirellis rank the highest. The Hankooks on my car get a 2:1 rating of
" would never buy again"

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
I have Pirelli P4 all season for a year now. No complaints, great in rain and very little sign of wear after roughly 15K. Michelin were also on my list but they cost more. I also looked at General Altimax RT but could not get them locally.

·
22,793 Posts
Pirelli is like a magnet...I keep getting drawn back to them when I go "window shopping." Pretty soon, I'm gonna haven't to get off high center and make a decision as to which rubber will meet the road. I'll ask Ingrid. Maybe she has an opinion. Lord knows, women love their shoes!!! ;)

·
22,793 Posts
Continentals? I hope they aren't the ones that came with my last two Elantras. Maybe 35-40,000 miles and NOISY. REAL noisy! Those things roar like a lion on concrete freeways. Now, this is the Limited's OEM 215/45R/17's. ContiPro Contact model. IMO, stay away from 'em!!!

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Continentals? Maybe 35-40,000 miles and NOISY. REAL noisy! Those things roar like a lion on concrete freeways...... stay away from 'em!!!
The Hankooks are noisy on regular pavement. Encountering the experimental "quiet pavements", tire & road noise are very very low. Last thing I heard about the "quiet pavements" was the pavement degraded quickly. The cars that will benefit from "quiet pavement" the most, will be the smaller non-insulated vehicles.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Continentals? I hope they aren't the ones that came with my last two Elantras. Maybe 35-40,000 miles and NOISY. REAL noisy! Those things roar like a lion on concrete freeways. Now, this is the Limited's OEM 215/45R/17's. ContiPro Contact model. IMO, stay away from 'em!!!
yes stay away from the continental tires. I'm at 11k miles on my elantra with the continentals on it. I'm seriously debating just throwing the tires out and buying some decent ones. The noise these things make on the freeway is crazy. I have to have the radio turned fairly high just to drown it out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
At 21k miles, I had to replace the stock Continentals due to a sidewall bulge. I ended up with the Yokohama YK580s (Discount Tire special) which are a softer and quieter ride compared to stock but also considered the Nitto Motivo.

If I were do it all over again, I'd seriously consider the Pirelli P7s.

Question for thread participants: Do you consider mileage warranty and/or speed rating when you purchase your tires?

My stance is that I only want to consider tires that have a robust mileage warranty and have concluded that there is no need for any tires with a better speed rating than H or V.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Same here. Almost 15,000 miles on my Michelin Defenders. They are excellent tires. I highly recommend them.

·
22,793 Posts
I'm a mileage buyer. I could care less about speed rating. I have zero plans to test the theory. BTW, that speed rating is deceiving! Manufacturers rate those tires at those speeds but here's the caveat: they only guarantee those speeds for FIVE minutes. After that time elapses, you're dealing with the devil. Something to think about when you're burying the speedometer. (Like that'll happen in an Elantra. LMAO) I suppose it's possible to do, but NOT with me inside!

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
I looks at the UTQG rating. For instance mine are 760AB. The number up front means tread life and higher is better for long life. Next is traction then temp. I also look at the reviews, and comparisons. Tire warranties are practically useless after a little bit of time passes. Speed rating makes no difference since I rarely even get my car up to 80.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just bought Pirelli Cinturato P7 all season plus. I've only had them for a couple of weeks. So far I can say that they made my ride a lot quieter, seems to handle very well. In a couple of years I can tell you how they're keeping up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I ditched the Hankooks that came with my car for a set of Continental Extremecontact DWS tires. I noticed immediately how much quieter the interior was. So far I have just over 15k miles on them and I rotated them every 3k miles. As i've posted in the other thread about just what's happened around our Elantra's, these tires are extremely quiet on the interstate.

All done with a/c on level one, radio off, windows up.
60 mph: 60 db
70mph: 62 db
80 mph: 65 db

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Just bought Pirelli Cinturato P7 all season plus. I've only had them for a couple of weeks. So far I can say that they made my ride a lot quieter, seems to handle very well. In a couple of years I can tell you how they're keeping up.
Got P7's put on last week and love them as well.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts