Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something that has been bothering more and more about the Sonata's frontal view is the amount of chrome in the grill. Now, I like some chrome but the 2011 just has too much of it.

I watched my PVR recording of Car Business earlier tonight when they had a review of the VW Passat CC and I thought by myself - now THAT look nice. I wonder of the dash kit folks could make us a stick-on carbon fibre kit for the Sonata to cover the chrome on the horizontal insert piece of the grill

Here are a couple of pictures of the Passat

http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/200...100189886_m.jpg

http://www.lincah.com/wp-content/uploads/2...e-1-588x441.jpg

Maybe one can DIY with this stuff (Click on Realistic carbon2D)

http://www.decalfx.com/carbon_2_sheets.html

·
Registered
548 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
+1 on the previous comment. I have a Radiant Silver GLS and the silver color grille surrounded by the chrome strip is, IMHO, rather a nice combo. Of course, for those looking for CF grilles or something like that, I think Shark Racing has one that is already debadged, and I've seen a couple of others but I can't remember the website...maybe CarID or something like that...

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To my mind the chrome grill looks good on the lighter colored cars, especially the white - but on the darker cars it is a bit too much. But, that is only my taste. Not sure how it looks in the European market but I have a gut feel that the lots of chrome treatment was specifically done for the North American market where we like our bling :p

·
Registered
717 Posts
I do love the looks and feel of the passat but I know how much it would have cost to maintain that car. The oil changes are $60+ and not to mention the reliability issues of old VW's. I know they are trying hard to become #1 but time will tell how well they do. I lke the grill on the SE.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE (legacy @ May 27 2010, 09:39 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326853
Love the looks of the chrome on my black limited too.

If you're looking for a CF vinyl wrap though, don't get anything but the DI-NOC 3M stuff. Actually has texture, and is easy to apply.

http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/
Thanks for the link - will certainly order a sample from them. I like the glossy look that some of the other products have - that is required to blend in a bit with the rest of the bling :grin:

Here is an idea - although I will probably have to cover all of the insert

http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/nggallery/p...m-1/gallery-27/

·
Registered
268 Posts
QUOTE (herr_howard @ May 27 2010, 07:19 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326823
+1 on the previous comment. I have a Radiant Silver GLS and the silver color grille surrounded by the chrome strip is, IMHO, rather a nice combo. Of course, for those looking for CF grilles or something like that, I think Shark Racing has one that is already debadged, and I've seen a couple of others but I can't remember the website...maybe CarID or something like that...

This is the grill that CarID offers... not to sure how i like it though

http://www.carid.com/2011-hyundai-sonata-g...ille-86453.html

·
Registered
314 Posts
It really is wild, how people can look at the same thing and see it so differently...When I first saw pics of the new Sonata, the grille of that Limited was one of the main things I loved about it. To me it's one of the rarest of things, a modern masterpiece of automotive design...Unlike any other on the road. It reminds me of three beautifully sculpted, double-ended fighting swords. With their perfectly placed ridges and 'horns' or 'fangs'.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (Hues @ May 27 2010, 03:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326999
It really is wild, how people can look at the same thing and see it so differently...When I first saw pics of the new Sonata, the grille of that Limited was one of the main things I loved about it. To me it's one of the rarest of things, a modern masterpiece of automotive design...Unlike any other on the road. It reminds me of three beautifully sculpted, double-ended fighting swords. With their perfectly placed ridges and 'horns' or 'fangs'.
a simple concept applies here: people want what they don't have....guys with body colored grills want chrome, guys with chrome want body colored...always gonna be this way

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ May 27 2010, 04:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327013
a simple concept applies here: people want what they don't have....guys with body colored grills want chrome, guys with chrome want body colored...always gonna be this way
I have not heard of anyone that wanted to change their dual SE exhaust for a single straw exhaust on the Limited though :laughing:

But to get back to your point, the idea is not really to go to a body color. If you look at the chrome grill closely you will notice a slight difference in the shade of the chrome that the designers implemented, my thought is to enhance that effect just a bit more with some shiny resin fiber.

I am getting my car tonight so maybe I will get used to it. Currently it reminds me too much of this :laughing:

http://www.qwinerveprotector.com/images/Ch...olice_Truck.jpg

·
Registered
548 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ May 27 2010, 03:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327013
Hey, I'm just dandy with my black grill... :grin:

·
Hyundai-Forums.com Vendor
369 Posts
I have a black limited and ordered a black grille

Also, on ebay they have chrome grilles with the logo delete

·
Registered
589 Posts
QUOTE (Hues @ May 27 2010, 03:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326999
When I first saw pics of the new Sonata, the grille of that Limited was one of the main things I loved about it.
Same here, and I'm not a chrome person at all, but goes perfectly with this car IMO. My M3 had chrome grilles and chrome side gills which didn't go with the car at all, and I replaced them, but the Sonata looks very classy with the chrome accents. And more upscale as well. Oh, and I really like the exhaust tip tucked up, and a smooth rear bumper MUCH better than a single-hole, or even the dual-exhaust on the SE. It looks to me this car was designed as a Limited, rather than as a base, like most other brands. Its great styling was what finally made me jump the fence over Hyundai. Hope I don't reget that move later on :grin:.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I love the look of the black grill. It makes the car look very clean and sinister. I have a white Limited and do like the grill but I wish there was one that was a bit less flashy that looked good. Do you guys know if there are any out there that would look good on a white Limited like mine?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts