Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all :)

There are many, many topics on this forum about headlights, HID lights, fog lights, different ways of modifying running lights, brake lights, and more!

There are discussions about what is legal to use, and, what will simply upset all oncoming cars. This is about my search for more light, that is either completely legal, or, if not legal, it is impossible to tell it is not legal. I do not want to modify my wiring to do it, nor do I wish to risk melting any wiring either.

Many people have differing opinions about what is best. My best is simple, not too spendy, legal enough to never get stopped in Ohio, easy to do, and will not upset anyone when it's time to sell it.

The car is an 06 Tucson GLS 2.7L 2 wheel drive in the stock silver color. Stock wheels, and nothing special to look at.

My reason for different / better lighting is not so much about looks, but rather helping the guy behind the wheel to see better at night, and during poor weather.

Some basics you need to know before you start.

What size/type bulbs you have. What works on my Tucson, may not work on your Veracruz - you need to confirm before buying! Your Owner's Manual will give you some info, but this page will teach you everything! Philips bulb selector site

OR this Sylvania site Sylvania bulb selector site

The key is to determine the 'size' or 'type' of bulb in each position you wish to change out.

I wished to change:
My headlights - brightest, legal bulb I could.
My foglights - from clear to yellow, and brighter if possible
My front 'parking lights' - from clear to AMBER (who ever heard of white parking lights?! - YUCK!!), and, if possible, brighter

My headlights are 9003, also known as 'H4' bulbs, and also as "HB2" - generally, get one of the comman names and you'll be safe.
My foglights are "881", and my front 'parking lights' are "168".

Using your favorite search engine, and by putting in a search string like " 168 bulb yellow" - you will find many different brands and styles to choose from! Be careful because, many sites will tell you that the 168 and 194 are the same bulb - sadly, not quite true! The '168' tip is straight, but some of the other bulbs have a 90 degree bend in the tip, or may be a different wattage!

Speaking of wattage... Two important factors here, generally more 'watts' means more light, AND, more heat, and more current draw through your wiring. So, unless you know what you are doing, or like to roll the dice, swapping out a stock bulb for a higher wattage bulb *can* be a risk! This is something to consider - many people tell you that you can double (the wattage) safely, or you simply need to put in a higher rated fuse - OK?! True, most of the wiring in my car is tougher than it needs to be for the stock bulbs - but *I* think it is because they (the car maker) want it to live a long and trouble-free life - and, who am I to mess with that?

I did go up slightly on my foglights however - but, they are not on all the time, they are on their own circuit, and not many will be able to tell they are not DOT legal for on-road use - as the Owner of the car, I choose to roll the dice on this one.

The headlights '9003' bulb stock is 55 watts lowbeam, and 60 watts highbeam, or 55/60W. There are many aftermarket bulbs that stay with the stock wattage. Some have different shades of white, some go to a bluish-white, but many say something like "+50%" or "+80%" meaning they provide 50% or 80% more light for the same watts used. This is LEGAL!!! And it will say right on the bulb case if they are "DOT approved" or not for on-road use, or off-road use only.

The Sylvania "SilverStar" is a well known and popular bulb (9003ST) and the "SilverStar Ultra" (newer and whiter) is 9003SU - these are what I have used in the past.

Recently I have found out about the Philips "X-treme Power" bulb.

This bulb strikes me as the current best of show, and I ordered a set back on 08-28-09 and they just arrived today!

Whenever I can, I try to buy my stuff on Amazon (as I like shopping there), but I find I can't always get exactly what I want on Amazon, so then I need to find an outside vendor like the one above. Good knowledge on the site, great prices and selection, horrid shipping! No tracking to speak of - you get it when you get it...PERIOD!

For the front parking lights I bought some cheap $2.99 special no-name bulbs at my favorite auto-store. But, being me, I had to see if there is anything better, so for roughly $13 bucks, I got the PIAA bulbs - we shall see how different they are from the $2.99 specials...

For the foglights, I did go through Amazon, but from a different vendor that sells through Amazon - still, shipping not as good as Amazon themselves, but better than SUVlights!

Headlights - $39.99 plus $4.95 shipping - 11 days bulb
Foglights - $28.00 plus $4.25 shipping - 8 days bulb
PIAA front parking lights $12.85 plus free shipping - 3 days bulb
no-name front parking lights $2.99 locally.

Your Hyundai Owner's manual will tell you how to replace these bulbs, and, if desired, the proper way to aim them - the biggest caution I'd point out - DO NOT TOUCH the glass part of the bulb - you *may* put enough oils on it to shorten the life (I also wash my hands after taking everything apart, and prior to installing the new bulbs).

Personally, I believe yellow (amber) foglights do a better job than clear ones. I read a paper recently that stated otherwise. I have also read many old papers that agreed to having a yellowish tint providing better light in poor weather conditions. Only you can decide for yourself! Also, the *cool* factor of NOT having what every other Tucson Owner has is for me :)

Same reason for the amber front parking lights - it makes zero difference driving at night, but makes a GREAT difference (to me) sitting in a parking lot - same thing, makes mine a bit different.

One point to remember? "+%" type bulbs will have a shorter life than the standard bulb. How short really depends on how much you use your lights? In the past, I normally get 8-14 months before losing one, and as most all bulbs dim with age, I always replace in pairs.

One last point if I may? Generally speaking, most ALL automotive lighting is made by either Philips, or Sylvania - even HELLA does not make though own bulbs! So, buying a 'brand' doesn't really do too much for you in my book - the brand *might* SPEC out the bulb slightly different than the version sold by Philips or Sylvania - but it beats the no-name stuff all to ****! So, be careful of where or whom you buy your lights from!

I don't really consider this a 'mod' - but whatever, it's a nice safe, fairly easy change that can bring you great satisfaction if you drive a lot at night or in poor weather.

Below are a few images of the bulbs.
[attachment=14190:pIAA_168.jpg] [attachment=14191:philips_...me_Power.jpg] [attachment=14192:Luminics...og_light.jpg]
The 168 -front parking light / The 9003 headlight / The 881 fog light

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A bit more info if desired:

Two other types of measure when dealing with lighting besides the wattage of the bulb, is the " Lumen " - as in how many 'lumens; does this bulb put out? I simply say that the 'lumens' of a bulb is a rating of how much light it puts out. More = Better!

The other is the 'color tempature' or " Kelvin " - as in what is the color tempature of the bulb? At the bottom is a chart I found on the web that I like very much. Basically, you want to decide what color you want? Yellow, white, bright white, blushish-white, and so on.

My foglights are rated as 1800K, and my headlights are about 4100K.

Also, here is another bulb look-up page.

HTH

[attachment=14193:Color_temp_Large.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello all :)

I now have all the lights in. I have not re-adjusted them yet, but am not yet sure that I need to do so.

It is my conclusion that the new Philips "X-treme Power" is brighter, whiter, and has a slighter better pattern than the Sylvania "SilverStar Ultra" bulbs that I have been using! Of course, we have no data yet on life-span.

For those that have never replaced headlights on a Tucson (I suspect it is very similar on other Hyundais), I have added some photos that may help you to understand the process.

A headlight 'bucket' holds the headlight, parking light, and turn signal - one bucket per side. 2 10mm bolts hold the bucket in place, and one plug-in wiring loom powers everything in the bucket.

Then it is a matter of (no tools at this point) of unscrewing covers, and removing the desired bulb, placing the new one in, replacing the covers, snapping the plug back on, and bolting the bucket back in place.

I have also added some photos showing the lights different ways (am lousy with a camera - it's great, I am not).

[attachment=14207:1_headlight.JPG] [attachment=14208:2_Bucket_hole.JPG] [attachment=14209:3_headlight_back.JPG] [attachment=14210:4_parkin...ight_out.JPG] [attachment=14211:5_headli...ulb_back.JPG] [attachment=14212:6_amber_foglights.JPG] [attachment=14213:7_new_he..._pattern.JPG] [attachment=14214:8_P_ligh...re_after.JPG] [attachment=14215:9_headli...pattern_.JPG][attachment=14216:10_new_h...15ft_out.
JPG][attachment=14217:11_all_lights_on.JPG][attachment=14218:12_all_l...t_facing.
JPG][attachment=14219:13_all_l...ft_angle.JPG][attachment=14220:14_headl...t_faci
ng.JPG] [attachment=14221:15_P_lig...10ft_out.JPG] [attachment=14222:16_new_h...om_house.JPG]

Will edit later and add comments to the photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
they certainly look whiter than stock halogens..

sounds a bit easier to remove the housing on the Tucson than on the Sonata.. (there are 3 bolts on the Sonata, and one is EXTREMELY hard to get to).. are both bolts easy to get to? because the rest seems very easy.... thanks for the quick write-up

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes they are! 10mm socket with or without an extension, one on top in plain view, and one in front coming out level to the ground - plain view... like it only takes me 1-2 minutes to pop either side out - total cake...

Fog lights a touch harder (plastic cover with two philips screws first) then four 10mm bolts - and done, hardest part is the plastic cover (it has four tabs that you need to be careful aboul or they'll tear).

Again, headlight bucket does the headlight, front parking light, and front turn signal - all in one bucket - very simple.

HTH
[edit for spelling]

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A fast note!
Now that I've been using the Philips X-treme headlight bulbs for a while I can say completely that they are much, much nicer than the Sylvania SilverStar Ultra bulbs!

They are brighter, have a better pattern, AND, the high beam pattern is wonderful!! It's like having both the low and high beams on at the same time!

I am completely sold on this new bulb, even if the life-span ends up being shorter (time will tell)

I am so very satisfied with this change!

NOTE: where can I post about these lights so that all Owners can read bout them, rather than just Tucson owners? But - wouldn't that be double-posting? = Not good? I hope a Moderator would be so kind as to reply?

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
well peter that's quite an impressive topic you have started and you have put alot of your time writting it all up for the forums, well done.

l can well see your point but you can't post it in all the other forums for obvious reasons.

may l suggest you copy the sections of your postings you want to display for other members and then paste them under a new topic in the 'car audio & electronics' forum :liebe011:

l have also pinned this topic for you

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (montego @ Sep 13 2009, 10:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=263245
may l suggest you copy the sections of your postings you want to display for other members and then paste them under a new topic in the 'car audio & electronics' forum :liebe011:

l have also pinned this topic for you
Thank you for both the reply and the pinning (?) of this thread! I will create a post in the 'car audio & electronics' forum as you suggest.

This being such a simple low cost (and legal) upgrade/mod - I would think that most anyone would want to do this once they realize how simple to do it is.

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
QUOTE (PeterC @ Sep 13 2009, 10:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=263349
Thank you for both the reply and the pinning (?) of this thread! I will create a post in the 'car audio & electronics' forum as you suggest.

This being such a simple low cost (and legal) upgrade/mod - I would think that most anyone would want to do this once they realize how simple to do it is.

'pinning' means that your topic will always stay at the top of the forum it was started on instead of moving its way down the forum as time goes by. that way members can see it straight away as they log on to that forum

·
Registered
838 Posts
Thanks, & Well Done Peter! :thumbsup:

Awhile back I had replaced the original headlight bulbs with Sylvania Silver Stars, and as you stated, and they were a little better but, I was never that satisfied with them. Thanks for your input, I'm about to buy a new Tucson GLS, and if need be, I will try the Phillips X-treme bulbs, if they make them for the new Tuc.

I'm with you about the Amber fog lights, it has always been my opinion that they are better for fog, but never could verify, or prove it. The new Tuc GLS, doesn't come with fog lights but, I intend to put them in, and go with the amber bulbs you recommend.

All the Best, Mike

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fast update:

as of 05-05-10 the headlights are still working great, and neither side has needed replacement yet. So even though these 'aftermarket' lights are brighter, their lifespan is reasonable enough for me! Still very satisfied, with no desire to change them at all.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
In regard to your H4 bulbs, I been running the 100/90 and 100/80 bulbs back & forth the past 21yr with OE wiring, no problems...

Mine are installed to HELLA housings. They are in a Toyota, and nobody ever said or give the first hint about my lighting all these yrs.. I like it when it is near dark, I flash high beams, and I can make those large green background overhead interstate signs glow real nicely..

Had to replace 1 bulb about 3-4 month ago, so I bought (2), they was OSRAM, marked off-road use only, low and behold, they had a nub to keep them from sitting in my housings...... BUZZZ with a cut-off wheel for 3 seconds per bulb, they drop right in, HEHEHEHEE.

Run over to Summit Racing and get some 100/80 H4 for fun..

Used to run the 100/90 in my motorcycle lamp too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
QUOTE (sbr711 @ May 8 2010, 06:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321026
In regard to your H4 bulbs, I been running the 100/90 and 100/80 bulbs back & forth the past 21yr with OE wiring, no problems...

Mine are installed to HELLA housings. They are in a Toyota, and nobody ever said or give the first hint about my lighting all these yrs.. I like it when it is near dark, I flash high beams, and I can make those large green background overhead interstate signs glow real nicely..

Had to replace 1 bulb about 3-4 month ago, so I bought (2), they was OSRAM, marked off-road use only, low and behold, they had a nub to keep them from sitting in my housings...... BUZZZ with a cut-off wheel for 3 seconds per bulb, they drop right in, HEHEHEHEE.

Run over to Summit Racing and get some 100/80 H4 for fun..

Used to run the 100/90 in my motorcycle lamp too.
Dont know if this will help of muddy the waters but i have just fitted a Phillips HI/LO H.I D kit into my 2010 IX35, brillant.
Rrusty

·
Registered
4 Posts
OH hi,
BTW white front parking lights are a WORLD standard as opposed to the American standard.
Around the globe; white front, amber side. red rear
period end of discussion.
Why Americans have to be so stubborn I'll never understand.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Stupid ????, but , anyone swapped out the dash and HVAC bulbs for blue ones, or just replaced them, and written a walk-thru on it? A link would be nice..please and thanks..
:)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hehe - a really long test-use reply~!

Headlights, am on the third set now and still love them.

Foglights, am on the original set I installed, still love them.

Front marker/parking lights, one died in less then six months, replaced the set, no issues since.

Car has just over 135,000 miles on it, and I do a lot of night driving. I've not looked to see if there is a better headlight choice since I first started this thread as I am well pleased with these lights.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Awesome thread Putergeek

Over time bulbs dim, long before they burn out. I've always used Vision X® - D Series Halogen Replacement Bulbs for my headlights. $30 and you have a really great set of Bulbs.

Bulbs emit a super white light that is rated at 4300K
Superwhite beam creates natural light color
More reflective off road signs and markers
Better depth perception and less eye fatigue
These bulbs are DOT / SAE compliant and completely street legal

I was going to ask in the near future the best operation for these steps. I was planning on getting a Westin® - MAX Winch Mount System with Bull Bar set for my Tucson with some Spec-D® - Factory Style Fog Lights on top and get rid of the two bottom fog lights.

I know driving in the harsh winter storms in Western New York having good Headlights is a must. Fog lights illuminate the road directly in front of the vehicle, so you can stay on your side of the yellow line and off the shoulder when driving at a speed appropriate to conditions. Being able to see where you’re going is key to safe driving, making fully functional fog lights important to your vision. These Factory Style Fog Lights will provide the added safety factor of fog lights along with attractive original equipment type styling to become a great addition to your vehicle.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Peter,

Well written-up tutorial on the how and why to make some of these lighting changouts in our vehicles. Appreciate you using your own as a guinea pig and can certainly relate to your no burnt wiring comment in the topic thread headline. When I was 17....a VERY, VERY long time ago, I wanted my lights to be brighter too in my 1972 Pontiac Ventura II. I kept blowing fuses after making some changes so I figured a piece of aluminum foil wrapped around the blown fuse would solve my problem completely.

Needless to say, after the fire was put out my entire under-dash wiring harness was totally melted.

Oh, to be young again....

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
putergeek,

I think you wrote the definitive guide to car lighting. I've verified your original post and it's still valid to this date.
Thank you for your kindness. Was rereading this thread today and saw your post...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts