Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HI Forum,

The left tail light turns on, but the right tail light is completely off. No turn signal, marker or brake light illumination on the right tail light (everything is off).

I recently replaced one of the side marker bulbs on the LH tail light. Yesterday, a mechanic changed the brakes. Could he have knocked a harness lose?

What could be wrong? I guess I can check the connection to the harness.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as the possible causes? Someone recommended that I replace the harness. What is the wire color coding? If I knew, I can try testing with my voltmeter.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,084 Posts
If none of the bulbs on the right tail lamp illuminate an open circuit ground would seem the most likely cause, since the ground is common to all the bulbs. Ground on Hyundai cars is usually the black wire.

If you have a voltmeter switch on the tail lights then connect the black probe of your meter to clean metal on the car body (ground). Now probe each terminal on the right tail lamp's harness connector with the red probe. If you find a terminal with 12V you know the power supply side of the circuit is OK, confirming that the fault is on the ground. You don't really need to know the color coding. Not for the simple initial tests anyway.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Autospark.

I know I have a working left tail light with power. I was thinking of removing the right tail light and plugging it in to the left tail light to test. The power supply connector should be the same on both sides.

·
Registered
16,084 Posts
If the lamps are easy to remove why not try that. I'd be surprised if it's the lamp unit itself that is faulty though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
After fiddling around I figured out the problem.
1) Main harnesss connector was loose. This caused the whole tail light to lose power.
2) Stupid mechanic who installed the brake light forgot to twist the bulb clockwise. This is the only bulb that didn't work after I restored power.
3) Stupid mechanic also didn't twist the bulb housing on the left side. It was left dangling. I fixed this when I found it loose.

Thanks for help. I can close this thread.

I brought my car to a mechanic the day before to replace all four brakes. He noticed my brake light out so he tried to replace it. He goofed up instead. My mechanic suggested to replace the whole tail light harness, but I had to leave for a long trip so I refused. Luckily, I didn't agree to the harness replacement. After inspecting the housing when I got home, I found things were loose and I managed to fix it. Bulbs were not turned; connectors were loose.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
Never know the reason for the mechanic leaving the harness loose and the bulbs not in properly.
Was it a mistake or was it to get you to spend more on replacing a harness that did not need it
Then he plugs everything back in and charges you for four hours of work???

I tend to believe in the goof up

·
Registered
16,084 Posts
I'm not sure I do.
It sounds like the OP managed to figure out what the problem was pretty quickly, yet a trained mechanic is telling him he needs to replace the complete harness. He is either a con man or completely incompetent, IMO. Either way I wouldn't be taking my car back to him.

·
Registered
2012 Sonata GLS
64 Posts
Never know the reason for the mechanic leaving the harness loose and the bulbs not in properly.
Was it a mistake or was it to get you to spend more on replacing a harness that did not need it
Then he plugs everything back in and charges you for four hours of work???

The bulbs for the brake lights in my 2012 are temperamental. They burn out every 6 months now and very very hard to get them to "set" in place. I can't use bulb grease on my right bulb because the lubrication causes it to "slip" out of connection.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I had to replace one of my bulbs last year, might have been one of the brakes. And my right rear tail is tempermental. Over the past year I've had to adjust the bulb twice to get it back on. It works at the moment lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts