Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas why? I have Xenonsupply HID low beams and newly installed Xenonsupply HID fog lights. Both sets have separate wiring harnesses. For the red and black wires, I "doubled up" on the battery terminals - not sure if that's OK.

When I turn the fog lights on, both come on (the left one flickers a bit more than the right one) but after driving for about 15 seconds, it turns off - usually if I hit a bump but sometimes on its own. If I turn the fogs off and back on again, the left one usually comes back on.

Loose wire somewhere or something else? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
215 Posts
If you have the relay harness it could be the relay. I had a relay go bad and that was the cause. You can pick up a relay at any local auto parts store.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Check your grounds to make sure they are touching bare metal and not paint. if all your grounds are good it may be the ballast. If it is the ballast xenon supply should replace it if its within the year warranty.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I've had this same problem and its usually related to a poor ground. The ground should be the auto frame ground (Hyundai grounding point) where all systems are grounded. There is one of these on each side of the engine compartment on the side wall. There are others but these are easy to access. The ground that Xenon Supply shows to use in the video that is a mounting screw for the headlight on each side has proven to not be a good ground.

If you believe it is a ballast or bulb you can switch from side to side to determine if the problem will switch or stay on the problem side.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had this same problem and its usually related to a poor ground. The ground should be the auto frame ground (Hyundai grounding point) where all systems are grounded. There is one of these on each side of the engine compartment on the side wall. There are others but these are easy to access. The ground that Xenon Supply shows to use in the video that is a mounting screw for the headlight on each side has proven to not be a good ground.

If you believe it is a ballast or bulb you can switch from side to side to determine if the problem will switch or stay on the problem side.
Yeah I regrounded my low beams away from the mounting screw and onto a bolt on the battery. Although as I mentioned, I'm sort of doubling up - both the low beam ground and the fog light ground are on the same bolt. I will check this later tonight and reground somewhere else to see if that fixes the issue.
Thanks for the advice so far.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Yeah I regrounded my low beams away from the mounting screw and onto a bolt on the battery. Although as I mentioned, I'm sort of doubling up - both the low beam ground and the fog light ground are on the same bolt. I will check this later tonight and reground somewhere else to see if that fixes the issue.
Thanks for the advice so far.
* Make sure screw is snug and tight
* Make sure mounting sides of both grounds are clean of any corrosion. IF there is, sand it down lightly to reveal clean metal on connector.
* use dielectric grease on the connection

You can "xxx-up" a connection if done properly.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Any ideas why? I have Xenonsupply HID low beams and newly installed Xenonsupply HID fog lights. Both sets have separate wiring harnesses. For the red and black wires, I "doubled up" on the battery terminals - not sure if that's OK.

When I turn the fog lights on, both come on (the left one flickers a bit more than the right one) but after driving for about 15 seconds, it (by it, you mean the left one) turns off - usually if I hit a bump but sometimes on its own. If I turn the fogs off and back on again, the left one usually comes back on.

Loose wire somewhere or something else? Any thoughts?
As others have indicated this sort of problem is indicative of grounding problem-- which you have already checked.

As Bob4484 suggested, have you switched bulbs between left and right to see if the problem continues exactly as before?

After you have switched bulbs and things stay the same, switch the ballasts and see if it problem is the same.

If nothing changes with switching bulbs and ballasts-- there is a bad connection in the harness or the bulb socket connection. The relay feeds both right & left-- so it is not the relay.

If you can narrow it down, XS has excellent customer service -- they'll send you a new harness, or bulbs, or ballast-- whatever you figure it is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts