Hyundai Forums banner

Left Break/stop light always on

2K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  pka4916 
#1 ·
It seems that my left breaklight is always on.
I tried replacing the bulb, but that didn't do anything.
I also had someone look at a switch underneath my break pedal.

Any other thoughts??

I did had in the paste a problem with my trunk light, and got that resolved.
Does any of those wires have anything to do with that light?
Or any idea what else it could be?

Thank you

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/183-lc-2000-2005-accent/133725-trunk-light-dashboard.html

#2 ·
The Left and Right stop lights are connected together and share one common wire from the switch under the pedal, so if one is On the other should be, too. Not questioning what you saw; just saying how the car is wired.

Behind the wheel well panel on the Left side lies the wiring and plugs for the rear lights and also for the Trunk light. Inspect all those items for signs of corrosion/damage.

Pull the "Room Lamp" fuse out of the dash fusebox (by driver's left foot). If the Left stop light goes out, this tells that the wiring cross is from the Trunk light circuit.

Lastly, inspect the Ground point inside the Left rear speaker housing.

Let us know what you find.

Jim

Attachments

#3 ·
Thank you.
I will take a look.

I looked at the wires in pic 1-3/4.
The one underneath the speaker I did not check.

I just found out, that the lights never go off either .
When I turn the lights on without my key, it normally goes on and turns off after like 30-50 seconds.

but the left stays on, and at the front headlight the light is on from the little circle next to the head light.
(almost like a dimmed fog light?)

#5 ·
Doh! Apologies for the wrong fuse location.

Everything I can find says that both stop lights are tied together so something has been altered in the wiring at the rear. And, since the room lamp fuse kills the light, suspicion falls on the repair made for the original problem.

Attached diagram shows all the rear lights and some of the front.
Trace the wires by color in the rear and it should tell what has happened.

Here is the color code on the diagrams:

Hyundai wire color code:
B Black
O Orange
Be Beige
P Pink
Br Brown
Pp Purple
G Green
R Red
Gr Gray
T Tawny
L Blue
W White
Lg Light Green
Y Yellow
Li Light Blue

Jim

Attachments

#6 ·
Thank you, I will take a look at it.

btw. Do you mean the fix I made for my other problem earlier this year? (See the other thread that I posted the link from) That was that my trunk light stayed on, and the connector was indeed corroded. so I split that wire according to that diagram with a new wire..

I was pretty sure that I didn't have that problem last time... since now the light doesn't shut off automatically. I will check it out and see if I can find the problem.

#14 ·
issue with the lights not turning off resolved as well..
Started working again..
Guess if I am not sitting in the seat and turning the lights on and off, then it won't turn off.
BUT when I sit in my seat and leave the light on, then it will shut off.
Guess I have a smart chair... lol :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.