Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope my chain is not being pulled, but I received an email from Shark Racing and Korean Imports that the LED turn signal mirrors would fit the American SE model Sonata. Korean Imports further stated that they could not confirm whether or not the wiring would be compatible, but the mirrors would fit--just need to visit an auto electric shop. I'll update once I receive and have them installed

See email below from shark racing:

Yes, they will fit your car.

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 6:35 AM, Flores, Jose wrote:

Hello-

Does the 2011 Hyundai (YF) Sonata LED mirrors on your web site fit the SE version of the Sonata?

Respectfully,

Jose D. Flores

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged
material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or
taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete
the material from any computer.

--
Shark Racing
Customer Service

·
Registered
505 Posts
Shark dosn't list LED turn signal mirrors, and the ones on ebay and that KAI sells do not fit the American Sonata.

Motor mounts for ebay mirrors:

Motor mounts for American Sonata:

If you buy the entire mirror from the Koren car, they will direct bolt on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (jdugan4859 @ Nov 5 2010, 11:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369391
Shark dosn't list LED turn signal mirrors, and the ones on ebay and that KAI sells do not fit the American Sonata.

Motor mounts for ebay mirrors:

Motor mounts for American Sonata:

If you buy the entire mirror from the Koren car, they will direct bolt on.
thanks for the pics, but not the lights I was referring to. I should of been more specific.

not interested in the ones from ebay. however, according to sherwood motors, a distributor for KAI, they will fit, but they may not be plug and play. There are a couple of different types on KAI--the ones i inquired about are for $329. http://www.koreanautoimports.com/store/pro...roducts_id=4548

wow, lights that were on shark's site are gone--weird, they were there a few days ago and have been there for some time.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
They are still available from Shark Racing. I emailed for the lowdown on them and got a quick responce. The US motor does not fit the Korean housing. You end up needing to buy the complete mirror set. You do however gain the power folding feature. Pretty custom in my book. Shark has the whole OEM kit available. Just ask for it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I don't remember what I paid, but it was a fair price. I got the mirrors, the new switch for the power fold, and the new switch panel from shark. I bought a drivers side door harness for a limited from the dealer. Once I got that in the LED works. I added wires for the power fold to run to the other door. I still need to get the pass side wire harness. The wire harness cost more than mirrors though, $300 for drivers, $200 for pass, and I still want to get the part they plug into so I have the right connections inside the car for the power folding. Once I get some time and the other harness, I will do a right up.

One other note, both mirrors are curved on the Loren mirror, so objects are closer in both sides, and the writing is in korean. Also the mirror base is gloss black, not flat black like on the American model. I also got the "delta" that goes in front if the mirror and in the rear door from shark. At some point I will remove the flat black trim tape, and have it painted. Not a cheap mid to do everything 100% but worth it IMO. All said and done I will be in around $1,000 to have everything done, but everything will be wired correct and look OEM.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (jdugan4859 @ Nov 7 2010, 02:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369717
I don't remember what I paid, but it was a fair price. I got the mirrors, the new switch for the power fold, and the new switch panel from shark. I bought a drivers side door harness for a limited from the dealer. Once I got that in the LED works. I added wires for the power fold to run to the other door. I still need to get the pass side wire harness. The wire harness cost more than mirrors though, $300 for drivers, $200 for pass, and I still want to get the part they plug into so I have the right connections inside the car for the power folding. Once I get some time and the other harness, I will do a right up.

One other note, both mirrors are curved on the Loren mirror, so objects are closer in both sides, and the writing is in korean. Also the mirror base is gloss black, not flat black like on the American model. I also got the "delta" that goes in front if the mirror and in the rear door from shark. At some point I will remove the flat black trim tape, and have it painted. Not a cheap mid to do everything 100% but worth it IMO. All said and done I will be in around $1,000 to have everything done, but everything will be wired correct and look OEM.

Great...so it can be done, just costly. My dealer has a guy willing to do it. Can it be as simple as wiring to the turn signal wiring? by the way, i'm not mechanically inclined, so I laymen's terms is greatly appreciated. :grin:

·
Registered
505 Posts
Those do not fit, you can order a set if you want, but I have some and I can aside you those won't work. You need the entire mirror unit, either buy them from shark or a dealer

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I would like to have the motorized fold option and the courtesy light added to the limited mirrors. I just would like to keep the actual OEM mirror (glass) from Hyundai, not the aftermarket mirror. If I can switch the glass then I would purchase a new set from Shark.

·
Registered
505 Posts
To have the fold option, you need the Korean mirrors. The American glass will not fit in those, nor will that puddle light. The housing is compley differnt on the fold mirror, and the motor takes up a ton of room inside the housing

·
Registered
31 Posts
Help!

I bought the led turn signals from Kai, and I can't find anyone to wire them up and they aren't plug and play.

They feel heavier, so the must be power folding. Anyone have any info?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just an update for anyone else who is interested.

There are several additional wire, and I have obtained the schematics that show how to wire the "new" unit to the existing 5 wire harness that's in the door. The issue really is where in the world to get the power for when the turn signals blinks, I know what wires they go to, just not where to get the power/signal from. Also, I have no idea how to get the wires into the door.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
QUOTE (mrwillhuck @ Dec 27 2010, 08:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=383884

There are several additional wire, and I have obtained the schematics that show how to wire the "new" unit to the existing 5 wire harness that's in the door. The issue really is where in the world to get the power for when the turn signals blinks, I know what wires they go to, just not where to get the power/signal from. Also, I have no idea how to get the wires into the door.
You'll have to follow the factory harness with the directional wires and send them through the wiring boot. Below is the wiring location and colors for the directional.

Left is Blue/ Orange (Front); Blue/ Orange (+) dash fuse box, black 30 pin plug. (Back), Pin 26; Black 39 pin Plug (A), Pin 8

Right is Red/Orange (Front); Red/orange (+) Dash Fuse Box, Black 30 Pin Plug. (Back), Pin 25; Black 39 Pin Plug (A),Pin 12

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
QUOTE (mrwillhuck @ Dec 27 2010, 05:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=383884

This is a tough project, especially if you are new to this level of electrical modding. I think getting the two or three wires through the door raceway (the rubber tunnel that the other wires pass through) will be the biggest challenge. I've done it on a couple Hondas, and it took some time and patience. I used a length of fairly flexable plastic rod that I found at Tap Plastics. It was less than a tenth of an inch diameter and could sort of be bent into shape. Not as well as a coat hanger, but at least it wasn't sharp, and did the job. Once I fished it thru I taped my new wires to it in staggered fashion. One wire about every half inch, so the bundle is easier to pull. Pull it thru and make sure the wires you are adding are plenty long so you wont come up short. The factory blinker wires go to the front and back of the car so they have to go thru the firewall somewhere. That should be near the drivers door. The leds are low current draw. The blinker signal wires you speak of will power them. One left, one right. The driving light circuit can be accessed at the interior fuse panel by the drivers door. The ground wire should ideally come from the body, not a door. That should cover the basics, I think...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree that getting the wires ran will probably be the most difficult part. My next problem is finding that blinker wire. I have a 5 amp inline fuse wire to use (just incase) for when I find it.

I'll try to post the pictures I have so everyone knows what i've been rambling on about. Apparently the wire is one of these LOL.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well, i've given up on this project for now. I sent my mirrors back to KAI who will hasn't returned my calls or E-Mails since they got my money. Glad I used PayPal, I'd suggest others to avoid KAI or at minimum make sure you use paypal.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
1 - 20 of 51 Posts