·
Registered
459 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Plugin play

I have them installed and they work exactly like shown on ebay . They are great i love them. It took me about 1 hour to install very simple no surprises.

are you sure they're plug and play? Our cars don't light up the hatch tails when the brakes come on, and the led units do... I was told by my dealer that the hatch lights would need to be wired into the brake lights for them to function properly.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Unfortunately our so-called LED tail lights still use a filament bulb for the amber turn signal. VW and others in Europe are true LEDs for all colors.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Leds

to tell you the truth i prefer mine this way no problems with turn signals. there is a kit but you would have to take apart the lights to install so not worth the trouble.

Unfortunately our so-called LED tail lights still use a filament bulb for the amber turn signal. VW and others in Europe are true LEDs for all colors.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have them installed and they work exactly like shown on ebay . They are great i love them. It took me about 1 hour to install very simple no surprises.
So the brake light function on the hatch pieces work?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Are you sure they're plug and play? Our cars don't light up the hatch tails when the brakes come on, and the LED units do... I was told by my dealer that the hatch lights would need to be wired into the brake lights for them to function properly.
I am pretty sure mine standard tail lights light up at the hatch portion when I step on the brake, I am not 100% sure but it would look pretty weird if it did not light up with the brake lights.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I am pretty sure mine standard tail lights light up at the hatch portion when I step on the brake, I am not 100% sure but it would look pretty weird if it did not light up with the brake lights.
I also always thought the GT brake lights work both on the outside and inside portion. Now I'm in doubt. The MD sedan has the brake lights only on the outside of the trunk.

The GT manual states that all the tail/brake lights in the back are dual-filament bulbs. I think only the sedan have brake lights only on the outside portion of the trunk.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I also always thought the GT brake lights work both on the outside and inside portion. Now I'm in doubt. The MD sedan has the brake lights only on the outside of the trunk.

The GT manual states that all the tail/brake lights in the back are dual-filament bulbs. I think only the sedan have brake lights only on the outside portion of the trunk.
None of the GTs in North America have brake lights on the hatch aside from the spoiler HMSL. Only the light assemblies attached the the body have the tail/brake combo. Go and check yourselves ;)

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
None of the GTs in North America have brake lights on the hatch aside from the spoiler HMSL. Only the light assemblies attached the the body have the tail/brake combo. Go and check yourselves ;)
You are right. I opened the hatch, pressed the brake while standing outside and looked at the lights, they don't come on. Also this afternoon I was following a Tucson and it had the same kind non-lighting stop lights on the hatch.

So the manual is wrong about the dual-filament bulbs, either that or one of the filament is not used.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i can confirm it works on the inside and outside... and here are the LED installed =P

CDM OEM

KDM OEM

its only when i got home that i rmbr the original shot had my hid shut off.. -.- oh well....

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
maby it is because of the light fixture in the light or the bulb type some one put a stop/brake light bulb in the hatch side and see if it works ?

·
Registered
459 Posts
i can confirm it works on the inside and outside... and here are the LED installed =P

CDM OEM

KDM OEM

its only when i got home that i rmbr the original shot had my hid shut off.. -.- oh well....

works great on mine very bright .
maby it is because of the light fixture in the light or the bulb type some one put a stop/brake light bulb in the hatch side and see if it works ?
Those photos have answered nothing. Those are the running lights in both pictures, since you can see that in both pictures showing the rear, the HMSL isn't on. Therefore the brakes are not being applied. Of course the running lights on the hatch will still work because that's the way the car is wired.

If you look at this video on YouTube, you see how the KDM cars with LED are wired differently for the lights on the hatch to illuminate when the brakes are pressed:

·
Registered
459 Posts
It has nothing to do with the bulbs. They're the same bulbs in all four tail lamps. It has to do with the fact that the hatch only is wired for tail light operation, not tail light and brake on the the body lamps.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
It has nothing to do with the bulbs. They're the same bulbs in all four tail lamps. It has to do with the fact that the hatch only is wired for tail light operation, not tail light and brake on the the body lamps.
If the bulbs are dual filament, that means one of the filament is not connected to anything. In my last link there is a diagram showing the hatch lamp connector, which has 4 wires (ground, back-up, tail, stop). I'm just curious to know where the connection is missing, as the wire is supposed to be there.

-Is the green wire really present in the connector
-Are there only 2 or 3 wires going to the bulb

1 - 20 of 42 Posts