Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Souks write up:

ok guys, here's the writeup and some pics. Some shots came out blurry but I'm just going to post the main pics the rest is pretty easy to picture through the text.

step 1: Pop open the trim piece inside the trunk to expose the tail lights.
step 2: Disconnect the tail light from the car's power source
step 3: Remove the nuts holding the light in place.
step 4: Remove tail light from car.
step 5: Pop out the white connector from the tail light housing
step 6: Remove the little plastic clip from the connector (this will allow you to pry open the clips that hold the pins in place)
step 7: Right down the color of the cables from left to right so you know where to put them back afterwards.
step 8: Pry open clip and pull out pins.
step 9: Take out new tail lights from box and pop out white connector from tail light housing
step 10: Remove little plastic clip from the connector
step 11: Pry open clip and pull out pins
step 12: Insert the first 3 sets of pins from the new tail light into the old connector. (will be grey, pink, green, black)
step 13: Splice the 2 ground wires together. Can be done a number of ways. My friend exposed the wire on one of the ground wires, then opened up the wires a bit. He then cut off the pin on the second wire and stuck it's exposed wire in the middle of the first wire and then twisted it together. Then solder it together and covered it with heatshrink.
step 14: Insert the groun wire into the last pin hole.
step 15: Connect the tail light to the car's power source.
step 16: test out functionality
step 17: if all good, re-install the litte clip to hold all pins together on the connector
step 18: Re-install tail light, and tighten with nuts
step 19: Re-install trim panel and your done.

Colors for wires on both sides are different. So for the finished project when connected to car's power source you will have the following:
Right side: Grey to red, pink to brown, green to green, and black to black.
left side: blue to grey, green with silver strip to pink, green to green, black to black

For the trunk lights.

Step 1: Remove all the clips holding trunk liner in place
Step 2: Pop open grab handle, inside you will find 2 screws. Remove those 2 screws and pull grab handle off.
Step 3: Disconnect the lights from the car's power source
Step 4: Remove nuts holding light in place and remove lights.
Step 5: Remove little clip on connector
Step 6: Pry open cips and pull out pins
Step 7: Repeat steps 5 and 6 on new tail lights.
Step 8: Insert pins from new tail lights into old connector (pink, red, black)
Step 9: apply heatshrink to green cable to insulate it and to prevent shorting. (green cable won't be used)
Step 10: Re-attach little clip on connector to hold pins in place
Step 11: Connect to power source and test functionality.
Step 12: If all good install tail lights and tighten nuts to hold in place
Step 13: Re-attach connector to housing
Step 14: Re-attach trunk liner and grab handle

The layout for the cables when connected to the car's power source is:
Right side: pink to brown, red to blue, black to black.
Left side: pink to green, red to blue, back to back

That's about it. The pictures show the connectors after the pin swap so just make sure it lines up with the car's power source the same way and your done. One of the pictures shows the 2 screws hiding under the grab handle on the trunk, and another shows the splice job we did for the 2 grounds. This is the sticking the wire inbetween the other wire technique.

Attachments

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'm going to keep the stockers, but for those willing to make them work at any cost (splicing wiring, etc), you might want to investigate if this car monitors the brake lights for burned bulbs. If so, you'd need load equalizers as well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just installed mine. Look great. Only thing, I didn't have a brown wire, but had a black with silver stripes. Thanks for the great write up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm gonna install mine tonight. Hope it's not too hard. Last time installing HID(first time doing DIY) took over 3 hours.

·
Registered
512 Posts
So, if I am reading this right, all you need to do pretty much, is remove the connector from the old lights, and put it on the new lights?

No wires need to be run, everything is there, just the wrong connectors come on the lights?

·
Registered
26 Posts
QUOTE (jdugan4859 @ Jul 6 2010, 09:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339384
So, if I am reading this right, all you need to do pretty much, is remove the connector from the old lights, and put it on the new lights?

No wires need to be run, everything is there, just the wrong connectors come on the lights?
Yeah. I'm not a DIY guy but It was pretty simple if you follow the how to. Took 2 and a half hours for me tho.
Thanks for the great write up BiXLL.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Yep just pop out and move pins around and minor soldering job. If you want the strip on the trunk cluster to light up when you brake you will need to run new wires to them, but not a big deal if they don't go brighter when you brake.

·
Registered
26 Posts
QUOTE (Souks @ Jul 8 2010, 01:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339722
Yep just pop out and move pins around and minor soldering job. If you want the strip on the trunk cluster to light up when you brake you will need to run new wires to them, but not a big deal if they don't go brighter when you brake.
Oh is that what the green cable is for? Souks, did you run the wire? If you did, how did you do it?

I found out the left tail lamp has small crack. Arrrg. But I'm too lazy to uninstall them and install the old one and spend money to send them back and wait for them and pay the custom again and uninstall the old one again and install the new one again. No way.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (Souks @ Jul 8 2010, 01:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339722
In theory, you shouldnt have to run additional wires. Most brake bulbs are two filament meaning that they have two source of current. I would have to believe that some simple DVM work at the four pins should show when a line is hot and not and use that to attach to the green wire. But maybe I have over simplified it? :blink:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Nope didn't bother running a new wire. Wasn't that big of a deal for me if the trunk cluster didn't get brighter. Most cars I've seen with lights on the trunk has no brake function either. In Korea their cars actually have functioning running and stop lights on the trunk, hence why the extra wire was there and why they have the extra pin too. For the NA cars they got rid of the pin entirely.

So this prett much answers Bearcats question too, if the exta pin was there could very easily hook up the green wire. But since the NA cars have no bulbs in the trunk cluster at all, it doesn't make having the LEDs come on when braking unless you tap off the wire in the main light cluster or the high mounted stop light.

I'm getting a spoiler installed next week so will see if they can run a line while they are in there, as they need to run power to the spoiler's stop light anyways.

·
Registered
738 Posts
A couple of questions....

For those of you who installed these, where did you get them, did everyone buy from Shark?

When you got them did they come in an OEM blue and clear Hyundai plastic bag????

Last question......

When driving during the day and you brake, do they light up and naturally they do light up brighter when lights are turned on at night?

IF I understand the last conversation correctly Souks was going to check and see about having the led in the back window light brighter when the tail light brake light comes on ????????

Sorry for all the questions and some are dumb but I want to make sure I understand every little thing about them before ordering. Just me and my quirky personality.....

·
Registered
512 Posts
QUOTE (Quigley21 @ Jul 31 2010, 02:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=346382
Where did you get your lights from ??

Shark Racing.

I figured out how to get the pins out, had to use a small pick to lift the lock tab.

They did not come in a bag, but they did come in a Hyundai Mobius box, and have the reflective stickers like an OEM part. Here are some day time brake light pics. The trunk lights are on because I ran a wire from the brakes when I installed my backup cam.

Here are some night shots.

Lights on

Brakes on

·
Registered
738 Posts
WOW... I like......

Guess I got a decision to make now......

Thanks for the info and the pics.........

1 - 20 of 38 Posts