Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just made this video for you guys :p

A video showing step by step how to retrofit LEDs into your side markers.

http://video.cardomain.com/VideoPlayer.aspx?id=698533

what would you do to make the video better?

feedback is appreciated :grin:

Materials/Tools:
- Tape
- Cutting discs
- Dremel
- Screwdriver
- Marker
- Primer
- Paint
- LEDs
- Resistors
- Wire
- Solder
- Soldering tool
- Pliers
- Compressed air
- Clear silicone
- Common sense

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Rondy, first and foremost... that looks amazing. You have a really steady hand for soldering. That's awesome.

Secondly, are you using the stock flasher unit, or an electronic aftermarket one?
If you're using the stock flasher unit, then that's all the confirmation I've been waiting for to make my side markers into LED! :D

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

QUOTE (bloodninja @ Aug 1 2009, 10:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=253114
Rondy, first and foremost... that looks amazing. You have a really steady hand for soldering. That's awesome.

Secondly, are you using the stock flasher unit, or an electronic aftermarket one?
If you're using the stock flasher unit, then that's all the confirmation I've been waiting for to make my side markers into LED! :D

It is the stock flasher unit. The side marker doesn't really affect the flashing because it is already a low wattage stock bulb (5W). Now, the ones from the headlight or tail light, those are 27W each bulb so you are going to have hyperflashing problems if you replace them with LEDs.

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
thats very impressive rondy......if thats all your own work you deserve 10 out of 10 and a gold star.....how to make the video better? well you could have some dancing girls in the background.........just kidding, its fine as it is :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
What is the approximate total wattage of the LEDs you put in the sidemarker, if you know and don't mind me asking? :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Freaking awesome! My only question... if my car doesnt come with the lights can i still pop that cover off and have a light? is the wiring still there?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUOTE (trajetXG @ Aug 1 2009, 10:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=253122
well Done...Good Job. :thumbsup:

QUOTE (montego @ Aug 1 2009, 10:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=253123
thats very impressive rondy......if thats all your own work you deserve 10 out of 10 and a gold star.....how to make the video better? well you could have some dancing girls in the background.........just kidding, its fine as it is :thumbsup:
Yes, it is all my own work. Thanks :)

QUOTE (bloodninja @ Aug 1 2009, 10:50 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=253124
What is the approximate total wattage of the LEDs you put in the sidemarker, if you know and don't mind me asking? :)
2W @ 14.4v

each string of LEDs take 70mA @ 14.4v, two strings are 140mA.

P=VI= 14.4*0.14=2W

Why @ 14.4? Because the car's voltage can run up to that or even more. 70mA its the maximum current the LEDs can take safely, so I used 14.4v for the maximum current. If you use a voltage regulator for the LEDs you dont have this problem.

QUOTE (Dani @ Aug 1 2009, 10:55 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=253125
Freaking awesome! My only question... if my car doesnt come with the lights can i still pop that cover off and have a light? is the wiring still there?
Thanks. I think that you can pop off that cover and check if you have the wiring. If you dont have the wiring you can run some wires to the front turn signal and take power from there, you would still need to order the side markers, but they are not expensive.

This mod is not that expensive at all, if you have the tools though.

·
1,565 Posts
Vid's awesome, change nothing; but a materials list on the post would be appreciated.

·
3,735 Posts
You do good work, rondy_ ,that looks excellent.  Steady hand!

QUOTE (Dani @ Aug 1 2009, 11:55 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=253125
I can almost guarantee you that the wiring won't be there.  I've felt around from inside the fender and didn't notice any.  Another question is whether the hole is present in the fender for mounting the light, only way to determine that is to find out is to pull off the molding.  I'd like to add these myself, you can pick up aftermarket reproductions of the OEM side marker lights for cheap.  Instead of turn signals though, my idea is to install clear bulbs wire them into the dome light circuit for lighting on the outside of the car at night when I hit the keyless entry. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.