Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2021 HSH Limited / 2016 HSH Limited
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is amazing how much better the LED reverse lights work over the factory ones. Why do they even bother using incandescent bulbs?

Even during the day, you can see the difference.

IMG_0482.jpg

Reactions: bigguh

·
Registered
2020 Sonata 1.6T Limited, Stormy Sea w/ tan interior & 2021 Palisade Limited, Burgundy w/ beige int.
195 Posts
It is amazing how much better the LED reverse lights work over the factory ones. Why do they even bother using incandescent bulbs?

View attachment 453646
I've been asking this question since I got my Sonata! Incandescent bulbs for the reverse, license plate, and vanity lights! Why!?!?! I replaced the reverse lights (too easy) and the license plate lights (very easy), and I am not what most would consider a handyman. I love the look of the LEDs. I replaced the license plate lights on my wife's Palisade but I still have to do the reverse lights. I will eventually get to the vanity bulbs.

·
Premium Member
2021 Limited 1.6T, 2018 Limited 2.4L, 2015 Limited 2.4L
367 Posts
I've been asking this question since I got my Sonata! Incandescent bulbs for the reverse, license plate, and vanity lights! Why!?!?! I replaced the reverse lights (too easy) and the license plate lights (very easy), and I am not what most would consider a handyman. I love the look of the LEDs. I replaced the license plate lights on my wife's Palisade but I still have to do the reverse lights. I will eventually get to the vanity bulbs.
I totally agree. That's one of the first things I did, replace all non LEDs. Makes such a big difference.

·
Premium Member
2021 Limited 1.6T, 2018 Limited 2.4L, 2015 Limited 2.4L
367 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts

View attachment 453646
In icy & cold conditions the lenses can freeze over with slush.. not necessarily in your example but elsewhere on the vehicle including the headlamps..

·
Registered
2021 HSH Limited / 2016 HSH Limited
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In icy & cold conditions the lenses can freeze over with slush.. not necessarily in your example but elsewhere on the vehicle including the headlamps..
Wouldn't that be the case with any and all lights?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Wouldn't that be the case with any and all lights?
Yes .. they have returned back to incandescent traffic lamps in certain areas where lamps are prone to snow & ice buildup. My headlamps were "froze over" with ice this evening, after several minutes they eventually melted, not the case possibly with LED unfortunately.

I find the LED's blinding & piercing to oncoming traffic but another issue, I wonder why they went to the projector style.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I find the LED's blinding & piercing to oncoming traffic but another issue, I wonder why they went to the projector style.
It is easier to control cutoff line with the projector lens. That is why LEDs retrofits in reflector style housing does an excellent job in blinding everyone. Here is a good video about that:

·
Registered
245 Posts
It is easier to control cutoff line with the projector lens. That is why LEDs retrofits in reflector style housing does an excellent job in blinding everyone. Here is a good video about that:
I find the factory projectors are blinding, yet some of our our intersections I believed are pitched so that oncoming standing traffic is facing slightly uphill.

The cutoff line factor may be correct, yet, the projectors are downright piercing.

Noted VW & BMW seem to project a beam a bit lower that does not blind as much as you approach them. I'm also in a lower vehicle than my last (Elantra vs Saturn Vue), & also gave up my auto-dimming mirror along with my deep tinted rear window in the Vue which now makes driving at night an unpleasant experience. Even in the higher Vue I noted oncoming projectors were annoying, ... and these Jeep retrofits are likely downright illegal..

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
we had 2 2016 elantras with reflectors. i put led in both cars, NO adjustments, and never had anyone flash or complain. i had a friend who was retired hiway patrol, and he stood outside his yard while i drove by, and he said he could tell the lights were brighter, and, of course, whiter, but not blinding at all. he said that if he saw them while on patrol, he could tell they were different, but that is all. i later changed both cars to projectors, and i think the reflectors cast much better light

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,651 Posts
I have changed both my hi and low beams in my LF to LED and they are considerabilty better and Ive never had anyone flash me for blinding them here in Calif.

It did take 3 different makes of LED until I got bulbs that were an improvement over halogen and had both the projection and no dark spots. I tried Beamtech, SeaLight and ended up with Auxito off Amazon.

·
Registered
242 Posts
we had 2 2016 elantras with reflectors. i put led in both cars, NO adjustments, and never had anyone flash or complain. i had a friend who was retired hiway patrol, and he stood outside his yard while i drove by, and he said he could tell the lights were brighter, and, of course, whiter, but not blinding at all. he said that if he saw them while on patrol, he could tell they were different, but that is all. i later changed both cars to projectors, and i think the reflectors cast much better light

^ This , it's 2021 folks .

The crack of LED bulbs producing a correct beam pattern is to place it in the same position as the original filament .

·
Registered
185 Posts
Gazwould] The crack of LED bulbs producing a correct beam pattern is to place it in the same position as the original filament . [ATTACH type="full" alt="454036 said:
454036[/ATTACH]
Try to pass UK's MOT with LED retrofit. Good luck with that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts