Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Just wanted to point out for anyone considering this, that ExLED now sells these as completed assemblies.

I'd rather deal with them than some unknown E-bay seller and the price is competitive.

So in addition to E-bay, you have three more options:

exLED Custom Rear Bumper Reflector LED Lights Kit Hyundai Elantra Avante MD - $25 - least expensive option, but you have to take a hot knife to your stock reflectors.

Custom LED kits :: Hyundai :: Elantra :: Elantra MD ('11~) :: Hyundai Elantra exLED Rear Bumper LED Reflector in OEM Reflector - exLEDusa, beyond the limit - $80 - Essentially, ExLED modifies a stock set of reflectors for you.

[Super i] Rear Bumper LED Reflector for Avante MD - $86 - This looks like a third party module that ExLED is selling, similar to the Camily, but a different brand.

·
22,787 Posts
Having trouble opening those links. Could be me.

Without seeing them, I can say this: If exLED is putting out these units as plug and play, they will be Top Shelf.

I have the older Camily units on mine. Love them. I've seen Camily's newest offering and I actually like those better than the ones I have. But I don't like them enough to take mine out and replace them with the newer offerings.

At least the wiring is done so it wouldn't take near as long to change them out. What a pain in the you-know-what getting that wiring routed so that it couldn't be seen. But worth the extra effort. Once the scratches and cuts on my hands healed. ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just wanted to point out for anyone considering this, that ExLED now sells these as completed assemblies.

I'd rather deal with them than some unknown E-bay seller and the price is competitive.

So in addition to E-bay, you have three more options:

exLED Custom Rear Bumper Reflector LED Lights Kit Hyundai Elantra Avante MD - $25 - least expensive option, but you have to take a hot knife to your stock reflectors.

Custom LED kits :: Hyundai :: Elantra :: Elantra MD ('11~) :: Hyundai Elantra exLED Rear Bumper LED Reflector in OEM Reflector - exLEDusa, beyond the limit - $80 - Essentially, ExLED modifies a stock set of reflectors for you.

[Super i] Rear Bumper LED Reflector for Avante MD - $86 - This looks like a third party module that ExLED is selling, similar to the Camily, but a different brand.

i buy this one las month everything is good
2010 2013 Hyundai Elantra Avante MD LED Rear RED Reflector Bumper Light Lamp | eBay

led is inside no modification needed

and the price is so nice enjoy

·
22,787 Posts
Rich, what is the difference between the "old" and "new"
do you have a link to the new?

thanks
Mine are very similar in appearance to the ones listed in the link below. The NEW Camily reflectors have a smoother flow to the LED's. And a reddish-orange hue flowing inside along WITH the red. Quite nice. I don't have a pic of them but I did see them on here, somewhere. You might do a search for "Camily rear reflectors Elantra" on Google and see what hits.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Mine are very similar in appearance to the ones listed in the link below. The NEW Camily reflectors have a smoother flow to the LED's. And a reddish-orange hue flowing inside along WITH the red. Quite nice. I don't have a pic of them but I did see them on here, somewhere. You might do a search for "Camily rear reflectors Elantra" on Google and see what hits.
I think I know the one you mean

Attachments

·
22,787 Posts
^^^ +1 That is EXACTLY the one! Thanks for the assist. If mine wear out after their projected 50,000 hours life, I guess I'll buy a set of these. LOL

·
Registered
805 Posts
^^^ +1 That is EXACTLY the one! Thanks for the assist. If mine wear out after their projected 50,000 hours life, I guess I'll buy a set of these. LOL
I like both! this one appears to have more of a "solid" light compared with the "old' one that has the individual led's
why oh why can I never make up my mind?...........must be old age!

·
22,787 Posts
Boy, do I understand that statement. While the others are awesome looking, mine aren't so bad, either. In fact, at a short distance it's not that easy to see the little individual LED's inside the lens.

Besides, they serve me for exactly what I intended them to do: Look great and make a statement to those behind me! Safety statement, hopefully! As well as an appearance statement.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
If you use them (on) for 3 hours per day (doubtful), they'll wear out in 45 years. If you aren't buying green bananas anymore, replacement ain't happening.

(Although I'd like for you to be around another 45 years - you really brighten up the forum.)

·
22,787 Posts
If you use them (on) for 3 hours per day (doubtful), they'll wear out in 45 years. If you aren't buying green bananas anymore, replacement ain't happening.

(Although I'd like for you to be around another 45 years - you really brighten up the forum.)
:laughing: You just made this old man's day! LMAO I might go get some green bananas tonight and see what happens in a day or two. Or doesn't. :grin:

·
Registered
342 Posts
AndreC: here's your pic showing the taillight wiring connection.
The splicing location takes place on the car end of the taillight hook up 'harness' , correct ? As in if I removed the tail light from the car entirely , the wires I'm spicing into are still located IN the car..?

This is most likely a sad question to ask but I'm just trying to prepare steps and tools as much as possible before I attempt this tonight .

I'm going off of AndreC's(believe this is correct) write up on how to install.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
You could wire it either way.

Judging by this: http://imageshack.us/a/img197/9708/img20130513135209.jpg

That looks to me like the splices are in the tail lamp housing wiring after the car connector.

There are plusses and minuses either way.

Advantage to the way he wired it is you are only modifying the taillight, so if you ever had a warranty issue, you could replace the taillamp and be done.

Drawback to the way he did it is if a taillight bulb ever burns out, you better have some slack in the reflector wiring to be able to get to the bulb to replace it.

I considered something like this - but it won't fit on the Elantra - Plug and Play Inline LED Resistor (Pair) - Resistors - LED Accessories - Accessories - or ideally, you could go to a junkyard and buy a taillight plug for both the lens and the car and wire them together as a "jumper" that you can splice into. That way you aren't modifying ANY of the OEM wiring - but that's a lot of effort.

NVM - Unless you can find the connector at a junkyard, DEFINITELY wire it up the way he did (and leave some slack in the wiring)!!!

The wire he spliced into is a $10.50 part for Korean-built cars, $25.70 part for US-built cars (on Ford or Chevy's, that wire would be part of the $350 taillamp assembly) The "in-car" part of the harness looks like it is the entire wiring harness and is $1028 for the US version and not available for Korean cars.

The way he did it, if you ever have a warranty issue, you just pay $50 for new harnesses and you are back to OEM.

Actually, I would probably only use three splices and run the wires from one side to both reflectors, but that's preference...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The way I wired it was before I had the slightest clue on what I was doing, or what I needed. I kinda winged that one and was lucky nothing went wrong. The upside to my lights is they aren't OEM, and are purely LED (except reverse lights). So if I do have to replace, I'm just going to cut all the wires and use extra wire and M/F connectors for easy removal in the future I recommend you do the latter.

·
Registered
342 Posts
You could wire it either way.

Judging by this: http://imageshack.us/a/img197/9708/img20130513135209.jpg

That looks to me like the splices are in the tail lamp housing wiring after the car connector.

There are plusses and minuses either way.

Advantage to the way he wired it is you are only modifying the taillight, so if you ever had a warranty issue, you could replace the taillamp and be done.

Drawback to the way he did it is if a taillight bulb ever burns out, you better have some slack in the reflector wiring to be able to get to the bulb to replace it.

I considered something like this - but it won't fit on the Elantra - Plug and Play Inline LED Resistor (Pair) - Resistors - LED Accessories - Accessories - or ideally, you could go to a junkyard and buy a taillight plug for both the lens and the car and wire them together as a "jumper" that you can splice into. That way you aren't modifying ANY of the OEM wiring - but that's a lot of effort.

NVM - Unless you can find the connector at a junkyard, DEFINITELY wire it up the way he did (and leave some slack in the wiring)!!!

The wire he spliced into is a $10.50 part for Korean-built cars, $25.70 part for US-built cars (on Ford or Chevy's, that wire would be part of the $350 taillamp assembly) The "in-car" part of the harness looks like it is the entire wiring harness and is $1028 for the US version and not available for Korean cars.

The way he did it, if you ever have a warranty issue, you just pay $50 for new harnesses and you are back to OEM.

Actually, I would probably only use three splices and run the wires from one side to both reflectors, but that's preference...

This is going to be interesting :mellow:

I got some heat shrink and some 'In-Sure' push-in wire connectors as well as 'SpliceLine' in-line push-in wire connectors.. I didnt see any Tap Splices (T-Clips) so hoping these are about the same.
Also debating with either trying to do this with the bumper off or on. Need to see how to remove the bumper and that'll make me decision probably haha

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Okay, AndreC lucked out and did it correctly (although it looks like he cut and spliced into $400-ish aftermarket taillights) - hmmm, takes some big ones ...

JGansk - take my advice and cut into the $10 or $25 harness connected to the taillights - post back if you aren't clear on it. I don't have a Hyundai, but I understand the modification.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
This is going to be interesting :mellow:

I got some heat shrink and some 'In-Sure' push-in wire connectors as well as 'SpliceLine' in-line push-in wire connectors.. I didnt see any Tap Splices (T-Clips) so hoping these are about the same.
Also debating with either trying to do this with the bumper off or on. Need to see how to remove the bumper and that'll make me decision probably haha
If you aren't rather nimble and patient, remove the bumper. I hear it takes SIGNIFICANTLY longer to do it with the bumper on (You'll also need a VERY short screwdriver to fit between some steel beam and the screw for the reflector if you do it with the bumper on) Do it with the bumper off and you'll save yourself an hour at best and can probably get it done in 30 mins tops.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Neither of those are ideal. Spliceline are just fancy butt splices. In-Sure should work fine if you have 3-terminal ones, but you are going to have to cut the wires rather than tapping into them.

Ideally, you probably want to solder the connections.

Posi-taps are gaining popularity - Amazon.com: Posi-tap Connectors, 12-18 Gauge Wire, Pack of 5: Automotive

Otherwise, you can use vampire taps like AndreC did - The Problem with Wire-Tap Connectors « Bareass Choppers Motorcycle Tech Pages - I've used these with good success, but usually I strip away some of the insulation (just cut a notch around the wire) before inserting the metal part of the tap.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Ok so ive finished up what I know how to do for the night.. that was ... fun. Seriously though, it was cool :D. Ive got the LED reflectors in place(not completely screwed in though) and the wires are ran to the tail lights. I will take pictures of where I ran the wires. Not 100% certain where everyone else did theirs but I found a VERY NICE spot. Easy and clean. Anyhow.. all thats left I believe is to splice into the tail lights and replace all the screws and such.

So.. the splicing.. My tail lights are after market ones so it seems my color code is different. I figured I would post pics of what im looking at and see if I could get some input.

This is coming out of my tail light. Got a GREEN, GREEN/YELLOW, GREEN/WHITE, and BLACK.

This is coming out of the car(untouched, should be same as everyones). Got BLACK, GREEN, PINK(ish), and a BLACK/ORANGE.

This is where im baffeled. What splices with what :mellow: Im looking to just have them as DRLs and brake lights. No turn signal. Also splicing into the tail light harness part ideally (BLACK,GREEN,PINK(ish),and BLACK/ORANGE). Hopefully I didnt make this to difficult :(

Also need to stop by the store and pick up some splicing materials. Im looking into those Tiger suggested.

21 - 40 of 130 Posts