Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been very disappointed with the headlights of my 2018 2.0T Limited. Here are the two problems with the LED "Dynamic Bending Light" headlights. (LED Intelligent System).

1. Biggest problem is that there is no Cornering Lights to light up those dark UNLIGHTED street corners, driveways, or when entering some expressways from a DARK feeder road. I've had cars with and without Cornering lamps and never had this problem. The problem could be caused by either the LED bulbs or more probably by the reflector.

2. Second problem is the amount of light put out by the LED bulb is not as good as the HID bulbs in my 2015 Sport 2.0T Limited. Also, the 2018's "Dynamic Bending Light " does not "bend" or if it does, it bends very little. (I've had other cars with this feature, that all worked correctly). Also, the LED Bulbs projection has a Black (unlighted) spot in the "cutoff" area. (I found that the black spot is common when I checked out bulbs for sale). Don't like the "Color Temperature" of the LED. Color Temp is much better with the HID. Also the "cutoff" is so sharp, that you can't see road signs on the side of road, or unlighted overhead signs. (FWIW, I liked Quarts QI/QH best - like H4 bulbs).

My favorite Hyundai Technician has checked the Hyundai Service Line and there is nothing in there to correct these problems on my 2018.

The HID's of the 2015, (bulb D3S 35w) although not perfect, are better than the LED's of the 2018.
Don't like driving the 2018 at night. Normally take the 2015 when dark.

I think it's time to report the DANGEROUS Sonata LED Intelligent System of the 2018 to the NHTSA.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
You can report it but if the headlamps are within Federal specs that is nothing they can or will do about it.
There would have to be dozens of complaints before they even took a look at the headlights.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have the LED dynamic bending light and see no problem with them. I really enjoy driving them at night. I also have that black spot at the cutoff but it does not bother me. However, my headlights would not light up too much in front of me so I had to re-adjust them (raise them up a bit). Once I set them up properly, I can really see at night and they really give good light output in my opinion. I am also not having issues seeing road signs. But that is only me and my own experience.

·
Registered
669 Posts
You do know that it (Dynamic Bending) only works when the lights are in the automatic mode, right?

Not going to happen if you turn them on manually, although self leveling works (if you have that).

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do you raise them up a bit? Where are the adjustment screws? Do you use a screwdriver or a wrench?

·
Registered
274 Posts
It is easy. Make sure you are on level surface. There is a black bolt behind each headlight that you can adjust using both short phillips screwdriver or a wrench. There might be two bolt, one controlling up and down an another controlling left right. Look at the indicators right by small holes on the plastic above the headlight.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Maybe everyone put up some videos of your headlights in action. That way, everyone can compare how their lights are operating compared to others.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is short video of mine Dynamic Bending headlights:

Mine does not do that. I'm going to visit my dealer Hyundai Tech and show him the video. (BTW, I know the video is correct because I see the black spots at the top of the cutoff area.)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is easy. Make sure you are on level surface. There is a black bolt behind each headlight that you can adjust using both short phillips screwdriver or a wrench. There might be two bolt, one controlling up and down an another controlling left right. Look at the indicators right by small holes on the plastic above the headlight.
What size sockets did you use? Hard to see the bolts well enough to see the size. Can't see inside the center of the bolts to see if it takes a screwdriver. Won't do anything until I get the Bending Headlights problem corrected.

Going to take a video of my headlights, and will show it to my technician, plus the video posted of the Bending Headlights on this thread a couple days ago. Appointment tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Vehicles with self leveling and dynamic bending only have one screw type adjustment for each side. If you think about it, they are adjusting themselves left to right dynamically and they don't let you mess around with that. Also, the self leveling makes it so both high and low beams work together somewhat, so that they don't need to be adjusted separately.

My 2018 Santa Fe Sport has one sort of hidden adjustment pot on each side. I will see if I can find the service or repair manual diagrams, I have posted them before when we were talking about the notch in the field of vision for SFS Ultimate with Tech package. It turns out that the notch is what gets this specific trim the IIHS "Top Safety Plus" pick. (doesn't glare in oncoming drivers' eyes like those made before June of this year)

The adjustment is with a long Philips #2

·
Registered
274 Posts
Vehicles with self leveling and dynamic bending only have one screw type adjustment for each side. If you think about it, they are adjusting themselves left to right dynamically and they don't let you mess around with that. Also, the self leveling makes it so both high and low beams work together somewhat, so that they don't need to be adjusted separately.

My 2018 Santa Fe Sport has one sort of hidden adjustment pot on each side. I will see if I can find the service or repair manual diagrams, I have posted them before when we were talking about the notch in the field of vision for SFS Ultimate with Tech package. It turns out that the notch is what gets this specific trim the IIHS "Top Safety Plus" pick. (doesn't glare in oncoming drivers' eyes like those made before June of this year)

The adjustment is with a long Philips #2
When I adjusted my headlights I had to do both. I had one that was little higher than the other and it had to be re-adjusted manually. And yes, that black spot seems to be nicely seating on the oncoming traffic line which assumed it was there on purpose - no to blind oncoming vehicles.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now I'm ANGRY. My 2018 2.0T Limited comes STANDARD with LED Intelligent System. (Dynamic Bending Light with LED Bulbs). (If you have anything other than the LED Intelligent System, extra cost on the Limited but Standard on the 2.0T Limited, you don't have OEM LED bulbs). So I decided I want to change out the OEM LED for a different color temperature bulb. Good thing I checked the headlight housing first. Page 7-69 in owners manual shows I have type "B" headlamps. Page 7-70 says if I have LED, see your Hyundai dealer. Ok. Checked the housing and THERE IS NO WAY FOR THE OWNER TO GET TO THE BULBS. My 2015 with Halogen bulbs, can be changed by unscrewing the back of housing.

If an LED bulb burns out, the whole housing ( and perhaps part of the grill and bumper) must be removed.

Big bucks to change a headlamp.
Grrrrrrt.

My 2015 Quarts Halogen much better.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now I'm ANGRY. My 2018 2.0T Limited comes STANDARD with LED Intelligent System. (Dynamic Bending Light with LED Bulbs). (If you have anything other than the LED Intelligent System, extra cost on the Limited but Standard on the 2.0T Limited, you don't have OEM LED bulbs). So I decided I want to change out the OEM LED for a different color temperature bulb. Good thing I checked the headlight housing first. Page 7-69 in owners manual shows I have type "B" headlamps. Page 7-70 says if I have LED, see your Hyundai dealer. Ok. Checked the housing and THERE IS NO WAY FOR THE OWNER TO GET TO THE BULBS. My 2015 with Halogen bulbs, can be changed by unscrewing the back of housing.

If an LED bulb burns out, the whole housing ( and perhaps part of the grill and bumper) must be removed.

Big bucks to change a headlamp.
Grrrrrrt.

My 2015 Quarts Halogen much better.
To be clear, my biggest concern is that the average owner (me) can't just can't change a bulb like we can with a Quartz Halogen but must have a dealer take things apart to install a new bulb. Big bucks. (Not sure about how to change HID bulbs). What about after original warranty has expired?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Not surprising to me. Car manufacturers and taking a lot of the diy away from consumers. I've seen transmission check/fill plugs unavailable unless car is on hoist. Batteries located in front wheel wells. Some GMC trucks needing the whole front bumper/grille removed to replace headlight "bulb"

Just the nature of the beast.
Requiring owners to take in repair shop to replace a bulb

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Never thought of looking at the headlight housing before I bought my 2018. The back of the housing on my 2015 can be unscrewed, although I've never gone in there to get to the bulb.

I love Quartz headlights (especially those that have separate bulbs for high and low beams), I find HID are acceptable. Hate LED both for the color temperature and difficulty of changing bulbs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've had mine a couple of weeks and it's calling for some mental adjustment on my part. I'm just not used to seeing the beam change unless the car has changed course.

I also dislike the sharp fall off of light at the edges, but it looks like all the makers are doing that now.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts