Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a UK spec Tucson with LED headlights. Does anyone know if adjustment is required when driving in France?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I drove several time my LandCruiser L200 from Europe in the UK, did nothing to that. No big deal, ppl will understand that you are not local! LOL

·
Registered
1 Posts
The lights have a flat beam and are ok in the U.K. and Europe without adjustment, it mentions it somewhere in the manual. I am just on the way back from a 3 month trip to France & Spain with our caravan and have had no problems with the lights dazzling other drivers.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The lights have a flat beam and are ok in the U.K. and Europe without adjustment, it mentions it somewhere in the manual. I am just on the way back from a 3 month trip to France & Spain with our caravan and have had no problems with the lights dazzling other drivers.
The Tucson (and others) have headlights with the British American style dipped beam which have a central 'hotspot' to the left rather than an asymmetric flare or kick up so requires stick on beam adaptors when used in Europe. The driver's handbook clearly illustrates the beam layout but then, misleadingly, states that no adjustment is required when driving on the continent. The simple test is "would the dipped beam pass the French MoT?" If not then it will cause dazzle to oncoming motorists.

However, the cut off has a stepped horizontal line that causes less dazzle to oncoming traffic than the asymmetric angled kick-up of the E type dipped beam so many do not bother converting the lights with adapters.

The law in France is the same as in the UK that dipped beam should not cause dazzle so any offence would need to be be subjective.

To believe that your journey across Europe caused no dazzle may be a little presumptive as you really have no idea whether oncoming motorists were inconvenienced or not. With HID and LED headlamps the potential for causing dazzle abroad has increased significantly.

The UK MoT test has changed considerably recently in relation the dipped beam settings and many will find theirlighting will fail.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts