Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled on some new info about LED versions of the D3 square based bulbs today. I had wondered if anyone has tried those out in their Tucson.

I have the US model Limited Ultimate with the stock D3 HID bulbs. I had replaced them from the stock color to a 5000K aftermarket and they have been running great for almost 2 years now. I still like the overpopular look of that Purple LED reflection on lots of cars these days.

When I noticed these types of bulbs, they have the same design and base as the D3 HIB but with an LED on top instead. I was curious if they plus into the stock HID ballast plugs but have an LED on the stem instead and if that would work, or if you would need a separate ballast or to bypass the stock ballasts to use them.

Any input would be great!

Attachments

·
Registered
941 Posts
I don't have an HID model but it seems like common sense that you would have to somehow bypass the HID ballast/igniter in order to use LED bulbs... if you connected the LED straight to the ballast you'd 1) most likely blow the **** out of the LED, and 2) start a fire? ... probably, maybe. Just seems like something you shouldn't do.

You'd end up... most likely... having to detach the ballast/igniter and connecting the LED to whatever that plug is. But don't quote me on that.

LED won't be as bright as HID though, won't have the 'throw' down the road. Don't care what anyone says, HID is better than LED. From everything I've seen and experienced, you can't beat HID, especially OEM.

Why do you want to use LED?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Try the 6000K bulbs instead. It will look even better. I changed to 5000K from stock at first and didn't like it then got these which are much nicer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
you can't use LED on HIDs. period.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts