Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've looked and tried everything from different led bulbs to adapters for the high beam H7s to replace the halogens to LEDs. Has anyone done it and figured out why the leds will not screw in? Is there something out there that will work or is the car still so new nothing is possible yet. I own a 2017 Hyundai Elantra Limited with the tech package if that makes a difference. Thank you so much in advance!

·
Registered
669 Posts
Read my post about looking for a suitable LED headlights replacement for my 2018 Santa Fe Sport. The only difference is that you need H7 instead of my 9005 bulb type.

If is in the General forum because it applies basically to all Hyundai models. Look for "Tinsince" in the thread title, it is about a month old, no more than 6 weeks, so everything is up to date and about current and newest technologies.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That doesn't help any. I don't think you understand my issue. My issue is doesn't matter what led bulb I buy that is H7 size. It will not work inside of the housing because the halogen bulb is held in by the socket. When you put in the led the adapter. That plugs into the part that screws into the base. Now the bulb has no way of going into the housing because, it doesn't connect directly to the housing. I need some type of special adapter to make the led bulb work. Anyone with a H7 bulbs run into this problem?

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Just stuck with Xtravisions, 30% brighter than stock, fit perfectly, draw the same current, is sense to warn of a headlamp failure, not that you need this unless you are blind. inexpensive and history tells me good for about eight years.

Headlamp housing has to be air tight, when it heats up increases the pressure, when cools if it leaks out, would suck in moisture because it creates a vacuum. Fully DOT approved.

Now LED's in my home, love them, give more light than a 60 watt incandescent and only draw 7.5 watts, just screw those in. CFL's were terrible, in the garage or outdoors, would take close to an hour to warm up. Do not liked to be switched, transient current burns them out, have no idea why they were approved, contain mercury that has been banned for just about everything else. In even -28*F weather, full brightness, instantly.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Or try Oseam 62261SBP bulbs. They are 85W bulbs and they are quite a bit brighter than stock. I used them on my 08 Azera and kept them for about 80,000 miles over 7 oe 8 years.

Thsy are a bright halogen but similar to the OEM color. If you are looking to color match HID lowers, probably not what you want, but definitely worth it if you just want better illumination down the road.

·
Registered
8,274 Posts
Hi beams go to HID, 55watt and you will smile every time you use them. Don't spend a lot of money. You can get kits for about $30 bulbs included for a pair. The electronic ballast are smaller and easier to fit.

I just bough some new 55w ballast to replace my older mechanical ones, they were $15 a pair, very small and lightweight too.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hi beams go to HID, 55watt and you will smile every time you use them. Don't spend a lot of money. You can get kits for about $30 bulbs included for a pair. The electronic ballast are smaller and easier to fit.
A word of warning here: constant on/off toggling (normal operation for high beams) is bad for HID's lifespans.

·
Registered
8,274 Posts
A word of warning here: constant on/off toggling (normal operation for high beams) is bad for HID's lifespans.
The bulbs last about 12-18 months on my car and I use them a lot. But most of the time there is no traffic. I change them in pairs when the color starts to turn pink. The bulbs I get are around $15 a pair.

You can get complete 2 bulb kits, bulbs and ballast for around $30. I have the older mechanical ballast and other than rusty looking they are working well +6 years.

I got some new headlights this year for the Gen Coupe and they have the electronic ballast for the lo beams, 35 watt. I replaced my old 55w mechanical ones with super small electronic ones. Less output but better color form them. And one of my 55w hi beams had been on a 35 watt ballast all it's life of +6 years......

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
That doesn't help any. I don't think you understand my issue. My issue is doesn't matter what led bulb I buy that is H7 size. It will not work inside of the housing because the halogen bulb is held in by the socket. When you put in the led the adapter. That plugs into the part that screws into the base. Now the bulb has no way of going into the housing because, it doesn't connect directly to the housing. I need some type of special adapter to make the led bulb work. Anyone with a H7 bulbs run into this problem?

I'm trying to picture this. As my H7's are held in with a spring lock base. Nothing screws in, unless you take out the spring retaining screw. But that is not needed as you just bend it out of the way, then back around the LED and lock down.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I installed the adapter into the socket, and used the metal clip to hold the adapter in. Then I inserted the bulbs which had a type of bump and ring the bump clicks into to hold the bulb. Others require a twist or something else. In my case the heatsink ran into the metal clip and the clip had to get wedged in between a couple heatsink fins in order to seat the bulb all the way. Others have taken a dremel or saw and cut the heatsink down a bit to give more clearance for that retaining clip.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its some new design on the 2017 Hyundai Elantra. I've checked and there is no metal clip that holds the bulb in place.

It looks something like this but this isn't the right one. I haven't found the one for the elantra. Guess just have to wait for the aftermarket to make something for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is best to buy a decoder for the upgrade of the halogen lamp to the led headlight, and the decoder is not the same as the car. For example, Volkswagen Golf, some series of jeep is more difficult to decode. I use novsight's led headlights to basically decode 2 cars. My father's old car is also ready to upgrade the lights.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts