Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
led install

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
just clay bar the car.... is brand new... but sitting on dealer lot the car was pretty dirty....got 200 miles on the car today
Nice, I did the same thing when I bought mine. Sitting in the dealer lot for months, the car needed a good detail.

Are you planning on any more upgrades or mods?

I'm in the process of changing the lights (map, vanity, trunk, etc..) to led on mine.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Are you getting any bulb errors? Can you post some night pics? I've been thinking about upgrading my lights but aftermarket LED quality seems to be all over the place.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I plan on doing dome/map lights inside car...take pics when you do yours...so i can do it with out breaking anything...lol

when the led tail lights from salvage/ebay come down a little, i will swap tail light to oem hyundai led taillight assemblies

but thats about it

just keep it clean and oil changed

and yes, the car was really dirty....took hours doing the clay bar

even the glass on the inside of car had a residue...like acid rain inside lol....and yes...i used the clay to clean the interior glass too
turns the clay black...what ever it was

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hikari leds seem to be the best ive had, this is my 3rd hikari purchase...

i will take some pics at night

no flickering or errors

9005 low beam
H7 high beam...will order soon

·
Registered
122 Posts
I actually did this same LED headlight mod with the Hikari Eye of Megatron (Philips) LEDs. No headlight errors, and have driven multiple 2+ hour drives at night without issues with them. Super bright but doesn't blind others and gives the car an amazingly premium look (especially if you have the LED DRLs).

Let me know how the H7 LED install goes, I want to do that next as well.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I actually did this same LED headlight mod with the Hikari Eye of Megatron (Philips) LEDs. No headlight errors, and have driven multiple 2+ hour drives at night without issues with them. Super bright but doesn't blind others and gives the car an amazingly premium look (especially if you have the LED DRLs).

Let me know how the H7 LED install goes, I want to do that next as well.
Do they cast light further down the road compared to the factory halogens? Many aftermarket LEDs flood the foreground with a whiter light but the down road throw isn't that good.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LED did not go as planned, easy install... but the light output is not focused into a beam, light is more defused... its white, but not much of an actual beam shine down road

I looked up installs for projector headlights and found LEDs do not work well in projectors.. and sure enough, the elantra does not do well with leds

like I said, the light is white, but not much of a beam shining ahead of you, its all around the front of car... but not much ahead
The halogens actually shine better down the road than the leds

Returning LEDs

Ordered Innovited 55W AC HID Xenon Conversion Kit ...today

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
Reading the Hikari reviews on Amazon, it seems the screw on top of the LED keeps the beam focused, instead of scattering it.

Try putting it back on and see what happens.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the reason i removed the top screw, it will not fit into projector assembly,
I dont think the screw has anything to do with focus, it is just the projector style assemblies need a full open bulb...shining from all directions into the projector ..i think....but if you look on youtube, seems leds are great in reflector style headlights, but not projectors

i have installed 2 sets in reflecror style, and you can not beat them.

for projectors, hid Xenon bulbs work great, explained on youtube....will know in a few days when they arrive...and install

the led's were bright...but just not right for projectors

·
Registered
122 Posts
Do they cast light further down the road compared to the factory halogens? Many aftermarket LEDs flood the foreground with a whiter light but the down road throw isn't that good.
The ones that I got throw light quite far down the road compared to the Halogen bulbs. Like I said, I was actually pretty scared of blinding other drivers when I first got them installed, but there's no issues with the cutoff or anything like that, and nobody flashes their lights at me. I got the Philips LED-based headlights from Hikari. The ones that OP got were Hikari's Cree LED-based headlights. The Philips ones don't have a screw on top like the Cree ones do.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The HID plan failed too...

The hid were not as bright as the original halogens... seems to be a pattern going here

also, when car is running, the lights would flicker and go out all together.... and throw a check lamps error light comes on dash

reading a little... i guess there is not enogh power to suppy the hids? and would need to run additional power lines to get them to work.... anyways, yet another return, I'm looking for plug and play and no cobbling

and the phillips LED...Miga is speaking about, is that the 6 LED bulb? at boo koo amounts of lumins? I seen that and figured it would be so bright that I'd get a ticket or pulled over.... so, please post a picture of the output?

I'd much rather have LED, but everywhere post how bad the leds work on projectors

I never though it would be this much of a issue finding replacement bulbs that would work in projectors

The hikari 9005 cree's only flooded the light, and no actual beam.... and less bright that a normal hollogens

anyone else find leds that would actually work in the elantra? and will shine a beam down the road????

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Guys, after basically giving up... I put the halogens back in... and was done with this whole thing....

turn on the lights and I'm getting no beam down the road with the halogens... I pop the hood and dust covers ... and remove the halogen... and try to figure out whats been going on

apparently all the lights I have been installing have not been seating in correctly into the projectors
after moving the halogen around... I finally got it to seat correctly and the headlight became focused like it should... its not easy

so with that in mind... I pulled out the LED HIKARIs and gave it another go, it took some time to actually get them to seat in... before the lock in... but after a while, some swearing... they did seat in correctly... and they work !!! a nice projector beam, super white

so LEDs do work in projectors fine, if you get them seated in correctly.... feeling kinda dumb.... but something so simple.... was getting the best of me

I do notice a very small flicker with the leds... driving down the road... you can not notice it.... but pull up to a building, with lights shining on wall... I noticed a very faint flicker on both leds

anyone else?

going to ebay to see what is available to get rid of slight flicker

Thanks for all the help....

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Hyundai headlight assembly reflectors are optimized for halogen incandescent bulbs, seems like if you are going to change the bulb type, should change the reflectors as well.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey Guys, after basically giving up... I put the halogens back in... and was done with this whole thing....

turn on the lights and I'm getting no beam down the road with the halogens... I pop the hood and dust covers ... and remove the halogen... and try to figure out whats been going on

apparently all the lights I have been installing have not been seating in correctly into the projectors
after moving the halogen around... I finally got it to seat correctly and the headlight became focused like it should... its not easy

so with that in mind... I pulled out the LED HIKARIs and gave it another go, it took some time to actually get them to seat in... before the lock in... but after a while, some swearing... they did seat in correctly... and they work !!! a nice projector beam, super white

so LEDs do work in projectors fine, if you get them seated in correctly.... feeling kinda dumb.... but something so simple.... was getting the best of me

I do notice a very small flicker with the leds... driving down the road... you can not notice it.... but pull up to a building, with lights shining on wall... I noticed a very faint flicker on both leds

anyone else?

going to ebay to see what is available to get rid of slight flicker

Thanks for all the help....
I don't have any flickering issues with my Philips based ones. You could try the Hikari error-free resistors that they make: [ame]https://www.amazon.com/HIKARI-Conversion-Headlight-Flickering-Resistor/dp/B07312V7QB[/ame]

·
Registered
56 Posts
The ones that I got throw light quite far down the road compared to the Halogen bulbs. Like I said, I was actually pretty scared of blinding other drivers when I first got them installed, but there's no issues with the cutoff or anything like that, and nobody flashes their lights at me. I got the Philips LED-based headlights from Hikari. The ones that OP got were Hikari's Cree LED-based headlights. The Philips ones don't have a screw on top like the Cree ones do.
So question, because I've been looking into doing this too, just wasn't sure which/what to go with; where did you buy your bulbs? Amazon or Ebay? And secondly, do you need to mod the dust cover cover or does everything fit back in?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts