Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
Are your lights failing a lot? Why the change?

·
Registered
2014 Accent Hatchback
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are your lights failing a lot? Why the change?
Because the silverstars I put in when i got the car are burning out. That, plus my daily commute takes me thru some dark patches of highway in the early A.M.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
i have led h11 in one of the cars, bulbs only, nothing else needed. light output is amazing. i did have to modify the dust cover, but that is all

·
Registered
33 Posts
HIDs are much better. LEDs are hit or miss. I had LEDs in my reflector housing and it was bright but not in the spots were I wanted it, so I bought a pair of projectors and thought that would make the difference and it was worse almost like the light was trapped and couldn't get out. I then bought 35W HID 4300k and it was night and day. Perfect amount of light, no dark spots anywhere and just has bright as other OEM HIDs from other cars like Audi, BMW, Acura.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I replaced the headlights on my 2015 Sonata Hybrid 18 months ago with LED headlights for $60 from BPS in Canada -- the BPS 9012 Headlight Conversion with Lumileds 8000. After the correct connectors were shipped, entire job took less than 60 minutes. I've had no problems with them.

·
Registered
2014 Accent Hatchback
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HIDs are much better. LEDs are hit or miss. I had LEDs in my reflector housing and it was bright but not in the spots were I wanted it, so I bought a pair of projectors and thought that would make the difference and it was worse almost like the light was trapped and couldn't get out. I then bought 35W HID 4300k and it was night and day. Perfect amount of light, no dark spots anywhere and just has bright as other OEM HIDs from other cars like Audi, BMW, Acura.
Did you buy the resistors for flickering too?

·
Supporting Vendor
1,866 Posts
I'm thinking of buying these bulbs
https://kensun.com/products/led_kit_h4_regular_with_cree_chips
Just not sure if i need something like this also
https://kensun.com/products/bi_xenon_hid_led_h4_anti_flicker_decoder_resistors_adaptors
Any info is appreciated.
Hi there, as a rule LED conversion kits come equipped with built-in load resistors and CAN-bus modules. They are usually built into the LED driver that's in the kit, and the driver is unique for every LED kit. That's how it usually works. Here is an example of one of LED conversion kits we offer, just check out the pictures and installation instruction, you will see, what I am talking about.
Lumen® - G7S LED Headlight Conversion Kit at CARiD
However if you install an LED bulb instead of the halogen/incandescent bulb in a turn signal, chances are high that the bulb will flicker. And that is when you will need to wire in an extra load resistor.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2014 Accent Hatchback
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi there, as a rule LED conversion kits come equipped with built-in load resistors and CAN-bus modules. They are usually built into the LED driver that's in the kit, and the driver is unique for every LED kit. That's how it usually works. Here is an example of one of LED conversion kits we offer, just check out the pictures and installation instruction, you will see, what I am talking about.
Lumen® - G7S LED Headlight Conversion Kit at CARiD
However if you install an LED bulb instead of the halogen/incandescent bulb in a turn signal, chances are high that the bulb will flicker. And that is when you will need to wire in an extra load resistor.

Hope this helps!
Interesting, and yes this helps. Thank you for the info.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The BPS 9012 Headlight Conversion came with all the resistors, CAN bus, and connectors needed. They don't flicker at all. I only replaced the "low" beams. I didn't touch the high beams, fog lights, or turn signals. They come on and go off automatically, without drama, as the originals did.

Unlike HIDs, I didn't need to mount big ballasts elsewhere under the hood. All hardware fit inside the current Sonata headlamp assembly/fixture. No drilling, screwing, or velcroing was needed.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I drive a lot in the dark, and I tried "BPS Lighting T2 LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit" last spring, see e.g. here:
[ame]https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01IU3J5GI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

They fit well, but the overall brightness was not acceptable for driving in dark, so I ended up returning them. Back to Silverstar Ultra / Philips X-treme Vision for me.

The problem w/ the BPS LEDs was that the light pattern was not uniform enough, there was bright spots, but not where I needed them. Also, if I adjusted the low beam to be aligned well, the high beam was very bad and vice versa. I suspect that the high and low beam LEDs are not exactly in the same positions/locations as the corresponding halogen bulb filaments.

I still use LEDs in the fog lights just for the fun of it.

Reactions: pat_this

·
Registered
2014 Accent Hatchback
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I drive a lot in the dark, and I tried "BPS Lighting T2 LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit" last spring, see e.g. here:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01IU3J5GI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They fit well, but the overall brightness was not acceptable for driving in dark, so I ended up returning them. Back to Silverstar Ultra / Philips X-treme Vision for me.

The problem w/ the BPS LEDs was that the light pattern was not uniform enough, there was bright spots, but not where I needed them. Also, if I adjusted the low beam to be aligned well, the high beam was very bad and vice versa. I suspect that the high and low beam LEDs are not exactly in the same positions/locations as the corresponding halogen bulb filaments.

I still use LEDs in the fog lights just for the fun of it.
just read your review on amazon. Thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've been through this...

different types of LED plug and play kits...
different types of HID plug and play kits...
They all suck.

The only option is a HID/LED projector retrofit. Save your time and sleep going through all those cheap kits and just do the retrofit. low-beams are fantastic, and the high-beams make it basically daytime.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I've been using LED's for years with great results. The one's I use don't have those tiny LED's like the ones from amazon above. And they are only 2500LM each.

·
Registered
2014 Accent Hatchback
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been through this...

different types of LED plug and play kits...
different types of HID plug and play kits...
They all suck.

The only option is a HID/LED projector retrofit. Save your time and sleep going through all those cheap kits and just do the retrofit. low-beams are fantastic, and the high-beams make it basically daytime.

Which kit did you end up using?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Which ones do you use?

The braided I'm using in all position in the Elantra and the fogs in the Tucson. The bulky looking ones are direct fit for the Tucson's H7 lowbeams.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts