Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced their headlight bulb with an LED bulb?
Will doing so void the warranty?

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
No it won't void your warranty.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I can't believe how plain the headlights are on my 2020 SantaFe. Compared to that lovely blueish light bar running across the top, they look really out of place.

Any recommendations for a bulb that matches the light bar? And brighter, but not too bright. I don't want to blind people in front of me, and most of the driving is done in populated Chicago suburbs.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

-Allen in Chicagoland

·
Registered
'20 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
61 Posts
I can't believe how plain the headlights are on my 2020 SantaFe. Compared to that lovely blueish light bar running across the top, they look really out of place.

Any recommendations for a bulb that matches the light bar? And brighter, but not too bright. I don't want to blind people in front of me, and most of the driving is done in populated Chicago suburbs.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

-Allen in Chicagoland
There are a lot of LED bulbs you can get from Amazon. Just make sure to look for the good ones. That's where I got the bulbs I installed on our Chevy Trax. I opted for the 6000K lumens since it's more on the bright white hue, I think anything higher than that will have a blueish hue.

·
Registered
75 Posts
There are a lot of LED bulbs you can get from Amazon. Just make sure to look for the good ones. That's where I got the bulbs I installed on our Chevy Trax. I opted for the 6000K lumens since it's more on the bright white hue, I think anything higher than that will have a blueish hue.
Thank-you. I'm going to try and find a website that has a video of how the LED bulbs look when lit. That is a must before blindly ordering bulbs online.

Come to think of it, I'll just buy the chosen bulbs at one of the auto parts stores in town. If something's not right, I can return/swap them quickly.
-AC

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thank-you. I'm going to try and find a website that has a video of how the LED bulbs look when lit. That is a must before blindly ordering bulbs online.

Come to think of it, I'll just buy the chosen bulbs at one of the auto parts stores in town. If something's not right, I can return/swap them quickly.
-AC
Have you installed them yet? if so what size bulb i can not see to find the low beam size,

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe / SEL / 2.4L FWD
54 Posts
For us the bulb is 9005
The recommended temperature (color) is 6000K
And the other key are the Lumen or the bright should be around 10000lm or more because that's the amount for the total of both bulb.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Philips sells LED headlight bulbs with a 12 year warranty. Pricey but worth it.
I put this in our SF - they look amazing and do an outstanding job over halogen bulbs.

Plug and play - very easy.

Also approved for road use by the DOT - - something ALL other companies are NOT approved for.

The beam pattern is the most important factor to consider.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Philips sells LED headlight bulbs with a 12 year warranty. Pricey but worth it.
I put this in our SF - they look amazing and do an outstanding job over halogen bulbs.

Plug and play - very easy.

Also approved for road use by the DOT - - something ALL other companies are NOT approved for.

The beam pattern is the most important factor to consider.
Did you need to install smart boxes or have any issues with it telling you the bulb was burnt out?
i am hoping for a simple plug and play situation

what year is your SF

·
Registered
32 Posts
You certainly will not void your warranty altogether. For example, they clearly are not going to blame a transmission failure on a lightbulb.

But let’s say the socket that lightbulb plugs into fails. Could be very convenient for them to blame the failure on a lightbulb that is different than what Hyundai calls for. The answer is in the unlikely event that happens, just re-install an OEM bulb before bringing the car to the dealer for warranty repair.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Did you need to install smart boxes or have any issues with it telling you the bulb was burnt out?
i am hoping for a simple plug and play situation

what year is your SF
2019 - SF
It is just plug and play - they give you everything you need for the install. Very easy - no codes whatsoever.
Just great night time visibility.

I have used aftermarket LED's before and they were all garbage, either poor pattern blinding people or they burn out quick.
12 years is a longer warranty than the car.

They cost more than the amazon and ebay garbage but they are totally worth it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
2019 - SF
It is just plug and play - they give you everything you need for the install. Very easy - no codes whatsoever.

I have used aftermarket LED's before and they were all garbage, either poor pattern blinding people or they burn out quick.

Would you happen to have a link?

would this be them

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Essential
165 Posts
2019 - SF

Any tips or tricks on the install? Never done this but am pretty handy. Where do you access the headlight housing from? Inside the engine compartment? About how long did it take?

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
565 Posts
There is a (probably more) YouTube video linked from a SF thread. iirc the right side has to go from the wheel well (tire and the inner front plastic wheel shield have to be removed), the left side is from the hood without removal.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Yup I bought these from amazon.ca
Very simple - Open Hood - Locate bulb cover <round circle> - turn to open - turn bulb counter clockwise to remove - disconnect power source from bulb - connect power source to new LED bulb ballast - connect ballast to new bulb - insert ballast into the bulb cavity <you could also mount the ballast to the housing - carefully insert new bulb and turn clockwise until you feel a click - make sure that no wires come in contact with the back of the bulb - install dust and moisture cover.
Repeat on the other side - Turn on lights and go for a night drive - enjoy your new vision.

Fill out online warranty form in case you need replacement in the next 12 years!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
There is a (probably more) YouTube video linked from a SF thread. iirc the right side has to go from the wheel well (tire and the inner front plastic wheel shield have to be removed), the left side is from the hood without removal.
I did both low beam headlights from the top through the engine bay. The only thing I needed to remove was the dust and moisture cap.
The high beams are lower and a little tighter.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Any tips or tricks on the install? Never done this but am pretty handy. Where do you access the headlight housing from? Inside the engine compartment? About how long did it take?
Took 30mins because a really took my time, be careful on the install you dont want to scratch the LED's when you are putting them in the housing.
No tricks really. Simple bulb and ballast install.

·
Registered
'20 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
61 Posts
Not really sure why Hyundai Canada only included LED head lights, tail lights and fog lamps on the Ultimate trim. They could have just offered it as an upgrade option for the Luxury and Preferred trims. :unsure:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts