Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the trim on the door arm rests as well as the center arm rest (between the front seats) are leather or soft vinyl? I asked the service writer at the dealer, and he doesn't know either. I just conditioned my leather seats and was wondering if I should do the same to those pieces as well.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited, 2020 Jaguar F-Pace Premium
36 Posts
I can't give you a 100% accurate answer, but usually only the seating surfaces are leather. Everything else is vinyl to match.

·
Banned
435 Posts
Does anyone know if the trim on the door arm rests as well as the center arm rest (between the front seats) are leather or soft vinyl? I asked the service writer at the dealer, and he doesn't know either. I just conditioned my leather seats and was wondering if I should do the same to those pieces as well.
The vast majority of automotive leather is coated with impermeable polyurethane compounds. Automotive leather "conditioners" containing natural or synthetic oils to "rejuvenate" such surfaces are a waste of time and money. For other than high-end natural and semi-aniline leathers, a good vinyl cleaner is generally all that is needed to keep all surfaces clean and looking great.

For more difficult dye transfer, staining, and abrasion problems, consult some of the detailing specialty forums around. As always, test your cleaners/conditioners for efficacy in an inconspicuous area prior to general use. Good luck.

·
Banned
532 Posts
Textured soft vinyl, use a UV protector like 303 Aerospace or others available at ebay/amazon/locally.

:eek:.... Stay away from Armorall ....:eek:

BTW.............:00000732:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a feeling they were vinyl but wanted to get other opinions.

I've always used leather conditioner on every vehicle I've owned with leather seats. They have all appeared to benefit from the application of the conditioners. A few years ago I had a Chevrolet leather seat that cracked and the color flake off. The dealer recommended conditioners to minimize cracking.

Thanks your the replies.

·
Registered
371 Posts
There is another thread on this subject but could not find it?

Leather conditioners do not work on this material as it is NOT leather. It is what they call "Pleather". This material is a high grade vinyl and as a result the conditioners do not absorb into the seats. It eventually wears off onto your clothing so be very careful about what you are wearing right after you apply any leather conditioner. Been there done that and "The Boss" was not to happy.:eek: They should be held accountable for calling it leather in their brochures and marketing material. There is more leather on a mouse's butt than there is in these seats.
To get leather you have to get into a high end vehicle like the Caddy's. BMW's and Lexus. However I see the SXL Sorento in the US has Nappa on the seat facings as does the new Jeep Overland and Cherokee. This material is very soft and creates issues in a family type vehicle like the SFS considering the use. B)

·
Banned
532 Posts
There is more leather on a mouse's butt than there is in these seats.
B)

:puzzled: ...... I keep looking at my mouse and all I see is plastic, some batteries, a wheel and one ball.

·
22,788 Posts
"If" the window sticker says it's leather, the only portion of the seat that fits that description is "the seat bottom, the back panel, and the bolsters running alongside each." All other wrappings on the seat frame are "imitation," made to simulate the look of the leather in appearance.

The Elantra Limited, for example, does have leather (albeit cheap) side panels. Leather usually has adequate oils embedded inside from the processing steps at the leather factory. Adding more doesn't really aid anything. Having said all that, I do use Griot's Leather Conditioner on my leather seats but not on the panels. I haven't seen any advantages one way or the other, EXCEPT for the nice clean look, the hint of dirt it removed onto the cloth, and that great leather smell that lingers in the car for months. Seventeen months later, the seats are holding up brilliantly and that new car smell still permeates inside the cabin. So, maybe there are advantages, and it's doing its job.

If it's "Pleather" you have, simply use a dampened chamois or microfiber cloth that has been wrung out and wipe down the seats. Good as new. If there's noticeable dirt or grime, do it with a "hint" of mild soap on the cloth. Doesn't take much. Wipe off afterwards with a clean damp cloth. Air dry...just minutes needed. Pretty easy and simple task. Results are worth it. And "The Boss" ain't fussing!

Windshields have been coming out on cars with about a 95% UV blocker applied during the laminating process for quite some time. Factory installed "Solar Glass" and tinted windows also aid to protect side exposures.

I'm not an Armorall fan, either. Take the $5-7 bucks you save on that stuff and go buy yourself a burger. Get a BOGO coupon and have two! That's my four cents worth, adjusted for inflation. ;)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Armourall is like the makeup on your GF/Wifes face. If you touch it, you will get some one you! But once washed off, you get to see what is really underneath. The advantages of the makeup are that they are seldom left on long enough to collect dust like Armourall does, unless you reapply within a short period of time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Try Armor-all natural finish protectant. It goes on great and leave absolutely no film or shine. It leaves a protectant behind but zero film. I've been using it for several years and it works great. I can't stand the shiny stuff.

·
22,788 Posts
^ Natural Finish may be good stuff. ArmorAll lost me with the oily stuff. Once I'm done with a product that I'm not satisfied with, it's nearly impossible to ever get me back!

·
Registered
371 Posts
^ Natural Finish may be good stuff. ArmorAll lost me with the oily stuff. Once I'm done with a product that I'm not satisfied with, it's nearly impossible to ever get me back!
+1

If you really want to keep your vehicle in good condition stay away from all the Armour All products. I have seen way too much damage done with these products especially when they are exposed to the sun. A friend of mine destroyed his dash using the natural finish and learned a very expensive lesson. There are better choices out there than Armour All. Eg: Lexol Vinylex or 303 Aerospace Protectant
If you wish to read more about Armour All just Google "Armor All problems "
The cracking comes due to the silicon in the mixture. Also creates a dust magnet when applied. There are those that swear by it but only because they hesitate to try the newer and better products. B)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okie, seriously, give it a try. I don't like the oily stuff either. This leaves ZERO film. I wasn't an Armour All fan either but someone gave me a bottle of the Natural Finish and that's all I use now.

If any gets on the NAV screen it evaporates off with no residue. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
+1
There are those that swear by it but only because they hesitate to try the newer and better products. B)
Then there are those that bash it only because they hesitate to try it for themselves. "Destroyed his dash" because of a protectant? Forgive me for being skeptical. I can counter with I've used this for years with great results and no issues.

It's easy to Google something and read what someone's opinion is of something. Call me a fan of forming my own opinion of things.

·
22,788 Posts
"Destroyed his dash" because of a protectant? Forgive me for being skeptical. I can counter with I've used this for years with great results and no issues.
I'm as open-minded as the next guy, Wife would disagree, but this isn't her forum! LOL Anyway, I oftentimes wonder if all those cracked and warped dashes of yesteryear weren't due to inadequate UV protection in the windshield. The sun baking down thru it and onto those cheaply designed OEM plastic (vinyl?) components was brutal. They simply couldn't hold up to all that heat and abuse. Ever touch your steering wheel when it's been exposed to the sun for hours? :eek: Imagine the dash being subjected to that day after day, month after month...

My issue with ArmorAll wasn't the protect, per se, it was the residue left behind on the wiped down areas. I used it on an '85 CRX Si and it looked fantastic. Never had a dash crack or warp. And rarely had it in the garage. But man, was it a dust magnet and cigarette ash collector when used to smoke in the car.

This newer stuff may be good since it's not leaving a residue. I've just simply transitioned to using a (very lightly) dampened chamois on the interior (a Pro detailer's suggestion for a new vehicle), to include the tinted glass. On occasional you can find me lightly wiping down my leather seats between those times I condition them with the Griot's. Interior remains "showroom" new.

I'm finding the chamois to be perfect. NO streaks, it lifts the dust, doesn't scratch the piano black trim, or anything else inside for that matter. And the price is right. Sometimes, simpler is better. Other times...

·
Registered
759 Posts
I like the Mothers line myself.... If it's good enough for Jay Lenos car collection... It's good enough for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts