Hyundai Forums banner

Leather Quality on 2020 Sonata

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Susielolo 
#1 ·
I have looked at a number of 2020 Sonatas before my purchase and noticed the leather quality is poor. Either there is buckling or uneven texture. Is anyone seeing the same issues on their cars? I have compared the leather of my car to my brothers 2020 Tucson and his leather is much smoother.

See less See more
#4 ·
Did you put anything on the leather to smooth it out? Its too bad since there's quite a deterioration in leather quality compared to other Hyundai models.

I've noticed that the bolster on my driver's seat is weak and pretty badly wrinkled as well. I'm not heavy set by any means, and I don't violently slide in and out of the seat so...I'm thinking it's probably the quality of the leather/support material. The leather feels soft though!
Ditto. I'm seeing the same wrinkling on my seat bolsters as well. I must say I do love the smoothness of the leather on the steering wheel!

#3 ·
I've noticed that the bolster on my driver's seat is weak and pretty badly wrinkled as well. I'm not heavy set by any means, and I don't violently slide in and out of the seat so...I'm thinking it's probably the quality of the leather/support material. The leather feels soft though!

#8 ·
We purchased a 2020 Sonata with bad leather. Lucky we discovered before we drove off the lot and noted on the bill due that it needed to be replaced. The dealership has ordered three separate batches of replacement leather-all bad. Now they are pulling seats out of new cars without wrinkles to replace mine. It’s been nine months and we still have not been able to find the backseat without wrinkles. They continue to sell all these cars with bad leather. I’m so frustrated and just want to take the car back. Our new car also had a cracked battery and was off gassing. I will never buy another Hyundai.

#9 ·
Since this is kinda related, I'll post here. Have any of you had to clean the little holes in the backseat where the kids are? I didn't see some pizza that got smooshed into the holes and also some kitty litter I put in the backseat is the perfect size for the perforations in the leather seats in the back. Any ideas on how to clean this mess?

#11 ·
The leather that is on the seats that isn't the Dinamica suede in the N Line is different than the Limited as well. Like the Palisade Limited/Calligraphy models, it has an upgraded Nappa leather.

Not sure I would be bothered by what the OP posted though, leather wears over time and will change a bit. Wrinkles in the bolster areas, especially the door side of the drivers side, are the first parts of any car that show some wear.

I do agree though, the N line suede/leather combo is real nice and they were definitely a selling point for me.

#12 ·
Must admit that since I got tinted windows, I am not as bothered by the wrinkles as the leather seats are harder to see in low light. It just sucked to pick up a "new" car that had subpar leather. Now that the car is 8 months old I don't really zoom in on those imperfections. I delayed the pick up of my car as well, which was a big pain.

As for cleaning the perforated seats, I can only recommend a strong vacuum and bristle brush. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.