Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reason I ask is that, it just doesn't look or feel like the genuine soft leather I'm used to. The fake perforations make it even more so. I know they list it as "leather," but does anyone know the real scoop?

Thx

·
Registered
816 Posts
QUOTE (hyundavid @ Apr 26 2010, 09:52 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316908
The reason I ask is that, it just doesn't look or feel like the genuine soft leather I'm used to. The fake perforations make it even more so. I know they list it as "leather," but does anyone know the real scoop?
Thx
Very few makes have real leather and even when they do it's only on the seating portion of the seat, that includes MB Audi BMW Lexus etc

the only one to still have what I call real leather are Rolls Royce, Bentley and the specialty car like Ferrari Maserati etc

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, that clears things up a bit, thanks. The seats are comfy and as long as they hold up over the years, all is well.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
QUOTE (hyundavid @ Apr 26 2010, 08:52 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316908

Thx
Yes it is Leather with Vinyl on the sides and other trim areas. A manufacturer cannot claim "Leather" and then not use it. Some of the luxury makes use "Leatherette" or "MB Tex" (Mercedes). If it's not Leather, they have to call it something else.

From the Brochure: Leather seating surfaces

·
Registered
14 Posts
QUOTE (Pelican @ Apr 26 2010, 09:09 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316913
Very few makes have real leather and even when they do it's only on the seating portion of the seat, that includes MB Audi BMW Lexus etc
all my cadillacs have had real leather seats, including my current ride.
they may use "split leather" like some cheap belts, jackets & purses, but I assure you it was originally worn by some bovine.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (hyundavid @ Apr 26 2010, 08:52 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316908

Thx

It's real leather, but there are many grades of leather. Some grades of leather is softer, some
are stiffer. Some are more resistant to stains, punctures, and wear.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK... Thanks for the replies. The leather feels sturdy to me, I have no worries about it wearing prematurely under normal use.

Have I mentioned that I'm thoroughly enjoying this car? :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
name='hyundavid' date='Apr 26 2010, 01:33 PM' post='316983']
OK... Thanks for the replies. The leather feels sturdy to me, I have no worries about it wearing prematurely under normal use.

Have I mentioned that I'm thoroughly enjoying this car? :)
[/quote]

Speaking of the leather seats, has anyone had the the leather kind of bubble up where you sit, seems like mine had done this. Thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would just like to add that this is by far not the best feeling leather I have seen or sat on. It is very rough. It may last a while but it is not very smooth to the touch and feels cheap.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I find that many cars in this price range use very mediocre leather. The Sonata is one, but certainly not the only one with lower grade leather. The leather in my '95 Audi A6 is much nicer, but of course it cost a lot more.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Yep, I'm familiar with the Chrysler 300 and the Touring model has leather similar to the Sonata, kinda hard and grainy looking, then the 300C has really soft nice leather. The funny thing is the 300C has a tag on it's leather seats that says "genuine leather" like the tags you find on other leather products like bags and such. The Limited and Toring models don't have the tag but is still listed as leather seating.

I'm not so sure what you can call the leather in the lower end 300 and the Sonata, but definantely not genuine leather. Question now is if it is made of hide products or man made and not from a animal at all but at the end of the day genuine leather feels and looks better but also wears a lot faster and scratches easily so I would prefer simulated leather that looks like the real thing but is more resistant to wear and tear.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
QUOTE (Souks @ Apr 26 2010, 10:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317157
Yep, I'm familiar with the Chrysler 300 and the Touring model has leather similar to the Sonata, kinda hard and grainy looking, then the 300C has really soft nice leather. The funny thing is the 300C has a tag on it's leather seats that says "genuine leather" like the tags you find on other leather products like bags and such. The Limited and Toring models don't have the tag but is still listed as leather seating.

I'm not so sure what you can call the leather in the lower end 300 and the Sonata, but definantely not genuine leather. Question now is if it is made of hide products or man made and not from a animal at all but at the end of the day genuine leather feels and looks better but also wears a lot faster and scratches easily so I would prefer simulated leather that looks like the real thing but is more resistant to wear and tear.
Leather comes in many grades and styles. The Limited has Genuine Leather, but it's not soft top grain. Most likely from split hide. This is not as soft, but should be very durable. I had similar seats in a Santa Fe. They were not as soft as some, but they wore great. I think that is what you are dealing with here.

My last car was an Infiniti G35. The leather was better, but it certainly cost a lot more.

Keeping this in perspective, I got a great mid size sedan with Bluetooth, Nav, Leather (Yes.. Genuine Leather) Heated Front and Rear seats.... Smart Key, Moon Roof etc.. etc.. for about $26K. That's pretty hard to beat.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (Souks @ Apr 26 2010, 10:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317157
I'm not so sure what you can call the leather in the lower end 300 and the Sonata, but definantely not genuine leather.
They're definitely real leather. As mentioned earlier, plastics or composite materials can not be misrepresented as real leather.

There are probably 100 grades and types of leather, but all are real leather.

·
Registered
594 Posts
QUOTE (SilverNitrate @ Apr 27 2010, 11:34 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317304
would it not soften overtime as you put leather conditioners on them?
That is what the sales manager told me at my dealer based on the leather seats he had on an earlier Sonata. In my childhood days an old but well looked after genuine leather rugby (the original version) ball was "softer" that a new ball - so maybe be he has a point. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts