Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I was told that I had a leak in my A/C's discharge hose (I was trying to have my it recharged at a shop). I never got around to fixing it because the hose runs $80-100 and I can't understand how a hose could be worth that much, but anyways...

Anyone ever removed this? I see a bolt above the entry of the discharge hose on the compressor, but on the other end, it has a metal end that goes into a rubber fitting (I imagine this wiggles out? or not?).

I can see where it leaked at the top of the hose, and it's around the crimped sleeve at the end. My friend wondered if we could remove that hose and have it repaired somewhere (someplace that does hydraulic tubing).

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
448 Posts
QUOTE (moogulguy @ May 30 2010, 04:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327920
Last year I was told that I had a leak in my A/C's discharge hose (I was trying to have my it recharged at a shop). I never got around to fixing it because the hose runs $80-100 and I can't understand how a hose could be worth that much, but anyways...

Anyone ever removed this? I see a bolt above the entry of the discharge hose on the compressor, but on the other end, it has a metal end that goes into a rubber fitting (I imagine this wiggles out? or not?).

I can see where it leaked at the top of the hose, and it's around the crimped sleeve at the end. My friend wondered if we could remove that hose and have it repaired somewhere (someplace that does hydraulic tubing).

Any suggestions?

Attached is a picture of the AC components in an Accent, and the Discharge Hose is item "D" in the picture. That hose has special fittings and is molded into a unique shape, so it's not just a chunk of hydraulic hose with standard hydraulic system fittings. Depending on where the leak is, it may or may not be repairable. If it is repairable, I'm not sure you'd save much & you still have the vacuuming, testing, and recharging cost to consider, and depending on how long that hose has been open, there may be more that needs to be changed.

[attachment=18448:Hyundai_AC_Comp.JPG]

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (Alfons @ May 30 2010, 08:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327955
Attached is a picture of the AC components in an Accent, and the Discharge Hose is item "D" in the picture. That hose has special fittings and is molded into a unique shape, so it's not just a chunk of hydraulic hose with standard hydraulic system fittings. Depending on where the leak is, it may or may not be repairable. If it is repairable, I'm not sure you'd save much & you still have the vacuuming, testing, and recharging cost to consider, and depending on how long that hose has been open, there may be more that needs to be changed.

[attachment=18448:Hyundai_AC_Comp.JPG]
I attached what my discharge hose looks like. It's pretty straightforward. It has a slight loop in the hose, but doesn't look like it's anything other than a simple bent hose.

I wonder if I could get the leak fixed? I'm pretty sure it's leaking around the crimped sleeve at the top connection (not on the compressor), there is a bunch of grease/soot around that sleeve.

I would repair/replace the hose, and then take it in to have it evacuated/vacuumed and recharged by the pro's. What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I think you should just let the mechanic replace it and fix it. That way if it doesn't work out, he's responsible (in a perfect world.) $80 is not that much.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Buy a new line and be done with it.. Have the system recovered if it still has R-134 in it..

Replace line, vacuum it for an hr, then proceed with the addition of R-134.

·
Registered
546 Posts
QUOTE (moogulguy @ Jun 1 2010, 10:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328661
Great, I'll let you buy it for me then. :p

I was quoted $320 last year to replace discharge hose, evac/recharge, etc. My response was to roll down my windows and never drive slower than 45 mph the entire summer.
All A/C lines are special, they aren't just regular hoses. You can save money if you can replace the hose yourself, but you'll need a qualified shop to recharge the system and make sure the compressor is OK.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts