Hyundai Forums banner

Leak At Timing Cover Gasket

14K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Raddad 
#1 ·
Hello:
Was told my Sonata has a leak at the Timing Cover Gasket by two different service stations. Took it to the Hyundai Dealership and they said they would need to pull the engine out to fix it and it would take a couple of days. I read on a couple of other posts that people were able to replace the timing cover gasket themselves. So, I don't understand why the Dealership said the engine would need to be pulled, but I'm reading others say they fixed it without pulling the engine. Am I missing something...? I'd rather not have the engine pulled out if it doesn't need to be.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks,

2008 Hyundai Sonata 2.4 L 2359 CC L4 DOHC 16 Valve.

Additonal Post to this Question - Is there any other routine maintenance I should have done while they are doing this repair to save on labor costs (e.g. valve adjustment)?

#4 ·
2008 4 cylinder.... should be covered by 10/100 if you original owner, 5yr/60 no matter what..

I have done a front cover on a 2.4 chain engine.. easily done in the car... same for the 3.3 (Hyundai cut the labor approx 60% for tensioner repalce on 3.3 due to finding out techs were doing them in the car,,,, freaking blabber mouths !!!! )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.