Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my 3rd and last Hyundai I will ever buy.
I bought Veloster Turbo (2013) 2 months ago. Approx 1 month ago I walked outside and say a paint chip missing on my door. No dent, scrape or anything like that. Also I notice how bad the sound is on AM (talk radio) on the "upgraded" stereo system.

No satisfaction from Customer relation at Hyundai Canada, nor the dealer. I am extremely angry and unhappy. for a $30,000 car, I expect better service then "Well sorry, but we are not covering that under warranty". And "Well, that is how the radio sounds"
I used to love the quality from Hyundai, now I feel like I bought a Lada.

·
Registered
184 Posts
As far as the AM radio goes, signal is rarely as clear as FM or satellite radio. It's just the way the signal travels. Is it a noticeable difference in quality between the "upgraded" SS and a different car's sound system? It might have to do with the AM receiver in your car, but I don't know how that would translate with warranty coverage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the car I have ever had that had such a muffled am radio sound. I would consider it a Man. defect which would put it under warranty.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sounds like bad customer service. There are many cases of some places not honoring the warranty by trying to use any loophole they can find while others will cover it as they should.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have a small paint chip that doesn't have a corresponding dent, scrape, etc. but I saw it happen so I know what caused it. A passing truck kicked up some gravel on the road that shot out like projectiles. Most paint jobs today ( including 40K plus cars ) are crap...partly due to environmentally friendly processes and the materials involved.

I'm assuming you've tried to adjust the bass/mid/treble & Power Bass settings for the radio. IMO, AM radio is AM radio and if it's not acceptable then you probably need to turn to the aftermarket to replace the speakers as a likely fix...if it's the sound and not the reception. My Accent has one of the better factory radios that I've had and I've been able to adjust the sound to make it "adequate". Hopefully, you can get satisfaction without paying much ( ~ $100 ) but I doubt a warranty would apply unless there's something inherently wrong. Yeah, I'm not happy I had to spend a hundred dollars for a steel wheel and a cheap spare tire but there are many other cars today where I'd have to do the same thing...so it's not just Hyundai.

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
Nobody will expect decent sound quality from AM radio. AM means amplitude modulation,
From wiki "The higher levels of interference experienced with AM transmission have caused AM broadcasters to specialize in news, sports and talk radio, leaving transmission of music mainly to FM and digital broadcasters. Frequency response is typically 40 Hz–5 kHz with a 50 dB Signal to noise(S/N) ratio. If you knew anything in electronic, that translate to crappy sound.
Replacing your speakers will not help, but will improve FM, Cd, MP3 quality.

Once I asked my friend at body shop for some spare paint, he said no use for me, due to the tree-huggers, modern paints are not store-able, & is not as durable as old days.

Get a touch up tube from dealer or auto shop, just paint it over.
GL.

·
Registered
461 Posts
its pretty hard to get good sound quality on any am radio as for the chip something must have hit it and with the trolling the Lada comment you don't even have a problem that would warrant such a comment.
Chips happen, am radio sounds like [email protected]! its not the car you are being overly critical.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Regular paint finish or that flat matte paint ? Had 1 at our place that the matte paint popping off..

Story is from what I hear Hyundai not warranty the matte paint.. our fella made enough noise that it got repaired.. my understanding (maybe wrong),, best to have somebody that has dealt enough with the Corvette matte paint do the paint work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
AM radio is Am radio, no need crying over it, especially if the other radio quality is good.

The paint chip? I don't see how this would stop you from buying another Hyundai. Every car gets them.

It sounds like a specific rep issue, not a Hyundai issue. try talking to someone else, or a manager. And remember - honey attracts more bees than vinegar.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Go to a different dealer. It sounds like yours doesn't really care about keeping you happy.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Have you compared the AM radio with another similar stereo. When I purchased my Elantra the salesman and I had a walk around the car after it was detailed to check for chips, dings and scratches.

I know its been suggested you go to a different dealer but, for some it could be several hours a way. If your from a small city like I am the next dealer is about 2 hours away. Even then it might be run by the same motor group.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Hmm, I'm going to have to see how my AM sounds. I've never even listened to anything on AM in years.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I guess I'm fortunate that I have a good dealer. Any new car I buy will be a Hyundai and from Collingwood Hyundai. The service has been impeccable, with every concern addressed. In fact I have some stone chips on my car that I'll be getting addressed on Wednesday by the detailer at the dealership.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts