Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size tires are you running on the stock 2017 Sport 18" rims?

The stock 235/45/18 are 26" tall (with appox a 4" side wall) has anyone gone to a 245/45/18 or a 255/45/18 ? Either of these would be less than a 1" total diameter increase which is within the normal 3% so speedometer and overall performance should not change much.

I also have a set of Megan Springs that I may install over NY weekend but Im curious to see if I can up size the tires and gain the ground clearance lost by the lowering springs ans also close the fender gap a little more

Thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
932 Posts
For the 255s you might run the risk of rubbing. Especially if you lower the suspension. The 245s should be OK, but don't expect it to add much ground clearance. You'll only gain 4½ centimeters of clearance. The 255s would double it to 9 centimeters.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Wow, too much medication. Those should read millimeters not centimeters.

·
Registered
406 Posts
By changing from the stock 235 to a 245 or 255, all you're doing is changing the width of the tire so the bigger you go, you run the risk of rubbing suspension components. The middle number is the side wall measurement. So a larger middle number would give you taller tire or larger overall diameter.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm getting a set of 245/45/18 Pilot Sport A/S 3+'s installed tomorrow morning. From the research I've done, there shouldn't be any rubbing issues but I'm also on stock height suspension. My speedo seems to read about 3% fast from the factory (speedo indicates 72 mph when GPS shows my speed as 70, and I've confirmed this with numerous roadside speed detectors), so going to the 245/45 should bring my speedo right in line with my actual radar/GPS indicated speed.

·
Registered
932 Posts
By changing from the stock 235 to a 245 or 255, all you're doing is changing the width of the tire so the bigger you go, you run the risk of rubbing suspension components. The middle number is the side wall measurement. So a larger middle number would give you taller tire or larger overall diameter.
That's not exactly right. The middle number represents a ratio of the first number. It is called the aspect ratio. If you don't change the aspect ratio, in this case 45, making the tire wider will also make the tire taller.

·
Registered
89 Posts
That's not exactly right. The middle number represents a ratio of the first number. It is called the aspect ratio. If you don't change the aspect ratio, in this case 45, making the tire wider will also make the tire taller.
This is correct. A 235/45 tire is 26.3" in diameter while a 245/45 is 26.7" and a 255/45 tire is 27".

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is correct. A 235/45 tire is 26.3" in diameter while a 245/45 is 26.7" and a 255/45 tire is 27".
That is the correct overall diameters and that is why I was looking at 255/45.

Knightro84, would you post a picture of your car with the 245/45/18, Im interested if the small increase in diameter makes a difference in the look of the wheel / fender gap.
Thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
That is the correct overall diameters and that is why I was looking at 255/45.

Knightro84, would you post a picture of your car with the 245/45/18, Im interested if the small increase in diameter makes a difference in the look of the wheel / fender gap.
Thanks
I can post one after they get installed tomorrow.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Please excuse how filthy the car is - going to get a bath this weekend. Car rides fantastic with the 245/45 rubber. I like how meaty they look. These aren't the best pics, but I think you can tell they fill out the wheel well a little bit better than the 235/45. I'm on stock suspension as well, but have a JL 10W7 in the trunk in a pretty big box with the amp on it - probably weighs 50-60 lbs so that brings the back end down slightly.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Please excuse how filthy the car is - going to get a bath this weekend. Car rides fantastic with the 245/45 rubber. I like how meaty they look. These aren't the best pics, but I think you can tell they fill out the wheel well a little bit better than the 235/45. I'm on stock suspension as well, but have a JL 10W7 in the trunk in a pretty big box with the amp on it - probably weighs 50-60 lbs so that brings the back end down slightly.
Thanks very much for the pictures, it does look better than the 235/45. Enjoy them!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do you put carpet under your car? Interesting!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Do you put carpet under your car? Interesting!
Yeah when we had the house built we had them put carpet in the bedrooms because they wanted way too much to put in the flooring we wanted. After we moved in I installed the floors myself and put carpet in the garage to park the cars on. When I change oil or do other maintenance I don’t have to worry about cleaning up small oil splatters or anything like that and the epoxy floor underneath is still mint. Plus it’s fun to see neighbors reactions when I’m vacuuming the floor in the garage lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm getting a set of 245/45/18 Pilot Sport A/S 3+'s installed tomorrow morning. From the research I've done, there shouldn't be any rubbing issues but I'm also on stock height suspension. My speedo seems to read about 3% fast from the factory (speedo indicates 72 mph when GPS shows my speed as 70, and I've confirmed this with numerous roadside speed detectors), so going to the 245/45 should bring my speedo right in line with my actual radar/GPS indicated speed.
I'm thinking about 245 45 R 18s also on a 2018 Sonata SE on Factory Sonata rims.
Have you experienced any rubbing?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'm thinking about 245 45 R 18s also on a 2018 Sonata SE on Factory Sonata rims.
I’m running 245/45R18 on my stock ‘15 Sport 2.0T 18" wheels and there’s the tiniest bit of rubbing when in reverse and at a certain steering angle, but nothing major. Definitely worth the increase in traction (for the 2.0T at least), closing a bit the wheel gap and correcting the speedometer error.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Are the wheels 7 1/2” wide? If they are, I recommend 245/40. I had them in my 2012 Turbo and had no problems at all.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was the OP on this thread.
Ive been running 245/45/18 on the stock 18" x 7.5" Sport rims now for almost 70,000 miles and my car is now lowered 1". I changed to Sumitomo HTR AS at about 50,000 miles and then got another set at about 90,000 .

No rubbing, it corrected the speedometer error that is present with the stock 235 tires. I also like the look better it slightly helps fill the gap in the wheel well. The 245/45 are 26.7" vs the 235 at 26.3" avg.

Going to a 245/40/18 will make a smaller diameter tire and a bigger gap in the wheel well and also make the speedo error greater (shows a higher speed than really going)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts