Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
When you say CANBUS port I assume you are not referring to the OBD2 port?

CANbus port is not the same as the OBD2 port, although you can access the CANbus via the OBD2 port. All cars are this way. Hyundai/Kia used to have a CANbus port under the hood, it is a different connector shape than OBD is.

Lap3 told me that since Hyundai has eliminated the CANbus port that they will likely come up with a solution to tie into the CANbus via the OBD2.

At this point I think I will just return the Pro Tuner and wait for the swappable ECU.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hyundai grossly exaggerates the HP and torque claims, as xaron shows in his dyno specs. I had the Uncle Chip, 91 octane, on my 2014 Sonata SE 2.0T and it did seem stronger. I never bothered to dyno. I used the very same unit on my 2013 Genesis R-Spec 2.0T, same 91 octane. It seemed to run stronger with the Lap3 UC off my Sonata.

My dad took his 2014 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 2.0T to his dyno guy. The Hyundai rated 274 HP came up with only 200 RWHP on a Dynojet dyno. That's, what, about a 30% loss?? Most vehicles are well under 20% loss to the wheels, including our Twin Turbo Stealths with AWD... My dad put on the Lap3 Uncle Chip with the 93 octane tune, while the car sat on the dyno, and gained over 40 RWHP, INSTANTLY. Both before and after dyno numbers were within the same hour on the same dyno. The dyno guy, and dad, were very impressed. So, that's a nice mod for the 2.0T. Dad and I have done a few 3rd and 4th gear pulls (in Mexico of course) and he pulls me (when I had my 2013 GC R-Spec 2.0T) as expected with about 20 more HP than my GC with the 91 octane setting.

I recently acquired 2015 3.8 Base auto. From what I have seen, the 3.8 V6 rated by Hyundai at 348 HP, shows around 270 RWHP from dyno sheets I have seen.

SO, my point is that Hyundai's HP claims are pretty optimistic. AND the Lap3 UC is an easy, relatively inexpensive mod to actually gain HP and TQ. The "dynojet" doesn't lie. It also seems to be reliable.

ominousone

·
Registered
9 Posts
It isn't possible for manufacturers to "greatly exaggerate" power claims, all vehicles sold in North America these days have engines that are emissions certified by CARB which includes independent dyno testing that the manufacturer has no hand in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I received my refund for the returned Pro Tuner.

David at Lap3 says they have started development on the new OBDII CANbus model for use with the new models.

Hopefully that doesn't take too long, not holding my breath but I was looking forward to getting this Sonata up over 300 horses. It is fun to drive now but that would really make it shine I do believe.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I received my refund for the returned Pro Tuner.

David at Lap3 says they have started development on the new OBDII CANbus model for use with the new models.

Hopefully that doesn't take too long, not holding my breath but I was looking forward to getting this Sonata up over 300 horses. It is fun to drive now but that would really make it shine I do believe.

I know this is an old thread. However did they ever end up releasing something for the 2018 and 2019 because i have a 2019 2.0T limited and trying to get to 300 horses as well.

·
Registered
2018 Sonata Limited 2.0T (11/09/17)
380 Posts
Probably not wise to increase output in an engine known for having weak internals (theta II disaster).
"...weak internals (theta II disaster)" inherent to pre- 2017 motors.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts