Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw the Facebook post from Lap 3. They just released the tune for our 2015-2018 LF 2.0T.

On a otherwise stock 2.0 it makes 56 whp and 86 ftlb Tq to wheels

I do t know what the cost is but Lap 3 said it is almost 2x the increase of the chip (piggyback) because it does not just change boost Drivability is supposed to be improved is all areas.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
2016+ JF Optima 2.0T & 2015+ LF Sonata
ECU Tune result is finally here!
Base: 181ps/28.5kgm (178whp/206 ft lbs)
After: 238ps/40.4kgm (234whp/292 ft lbs)
Over 50whp+ gain and 80ft lbs gain!!

Share this amazing news and
Join LAP3 Performance to follow our work!

#LAP3 #AuthenticTuning #Hyundai #Sonata #ECUtune #Kia #Optima

·
Registered
515 Posts
I really really really wish I didn’t get the 2.4 now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
You don't want to pull up at the dealership with one plugged in that is for sure.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
672 Posts
I read somewhere on the Facebook page that the chip is easy to swap and they give you the old one so you just put in the old chip when you take it in for service and now I'm done with my run on sentence. :p

·
Registered
37 Posts
I can't find the link to buy either. LapUSA now has an LF Sonata section but has no products within it. I presume they will be adding it soon. Has anybody been able to purchase it yet?

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The first announcement about it was June 14 on the Facebook page. I also checked the website and it is not listed.

if you are interested in purchasing I would call or Facebook Lap3.

I really want to get it , too be able to get that kind of increase with out anything else, just plug and play is great. The facebook info says improved overall driveability, changes shift points, timing, boost, Tq limiter in lower gears. But my car is still a little new to be doing something that may void my warranty.

Ill try putting some $ aside and maybe when I get to the 3 yr mark and 50,000+ if the engine seems solid Ill get one. Im at about 36,000 as of this am and absolutely no noticeable oil use, car runs as strong as day 1, have been doing oil/filter changes with 5-30 Mobil 1 at 1,000,3,000 and then every 5,000 since, new air and cabin filter every 10,000, BG 44K and CRC GDI Intake cleaner at 20,000 and again at about 30,000.

If any of you buy one please post results.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Im looking forward to hearing what you think!
I did some baseline runs with my G-Tech Pro RR so i would be able to see the difference the Pro Tuner made, but so far it doesn't matter because I can't find the CANBUS port anywhere to get the Pro Tuner installed. Have been emailing Lap3 back and forth but so far nobody knows where it is, and I am beginning to think Hyundai removed it maybe.

I really want this thing but after hours of trying to hunt down the CANBUS port I am beginning to lose faith.
My Sonata is a 2018 with the 8 speed auto and was built in April 2018 so if anyone knows where that CANBUS port is please chime in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I spent two more hours going over the car with a fine tooth comb looking for the CANBUS port, but could not find it. I tried everywhere, under the dash, behind the glove box, under the hood in any possible hidden place. I could not find it and came to the conclusion that it does not have one.

Tonight Lap3 emailed and said they have confirmed that there is no CANBUS on the 2019's and apparently Hyundai has made the change somewhere along the line on the 2018's so I have no choice but to send it back for a refund. Hopefully they come with the ECU tune solution. I was really looking forward to the extra power, my car was already knocking out consistent 6.2 to 6.3 0-60's and 14.6 to 14.7 quarters at 97 mph. Another 70 horses would have dropped it into the mid 13's for sure according to the math.

Dang. This sucks.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im sorry to hear I really was interested to see what this tune did for the car!

Im not a big fan of piggyback units like the other "Uncle Lap 3 Tune" that plugs into the harness and tricks the ecu into adding boost and fuel/timing by send false info back to the ecu. They work and usually improve performance and it is true that if removed there is no trace of it having been on the car (ECU changes) so warranty is not in jeopardy. But they also sometimes cause inconsistent performance and problems. That type of tuner has been used in the motorcycle world for years and never performs as well as mapping the ecu with a quality tune.

But are you considering going that route with the "chip"? They have the unit available at K 5 store
https://www.k5optimastore.com/collections/hyundai-sonata-products/products/lap3-performance-tune

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
2016+ JF Optima 2.0T & 2015+ LF Sonata
ECU Tune result is finally here!
Base: 181ps/28.5kgm (178whp/206 ft lbs)
After: 238ps/40.4kgm (234whp/292 ft lbs)
Over 50whp+ gain and 80ft lbs gain!!

Share this amazing news and
Join LAP3 Performance to follow our work!

#LAP3 #AuthenticTuning #Hyundai #Sonata #ECUtune #Kia #Optima
The horsepower loss for the base run is over 25% which seems high for a Dynojet. What gear were the runs done in?

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I spent two more hours going over the car with a fine tooth comb looking for the CANBUS port, but could not find it. I tried everywhere, under the dash, behind the glove box, under the hood in any possible hidden place. I could not find it and came to the conclusion that it does not have one.

Tonight Lap3 emailed and said they have confirmed that there is no CANBUS on the 2019's and apparently Hyundai has made the change somewhere along the line on the 2018's so I have no choice but to send it back for a refund. Hopefully they come with the ECU tune solution. I was really looking forward to the extra power, my car was already knocking out consistent 6.2 to 6.3 0-60's and 14.6 to 14.7 quarters at 97 mph. Another 70 horses would have dropped it into the mid 13's for sure according to the math.

Dang. This sucks.
When you say CANBUS port I assume you are not referring to the OBD2 port?

·
Registered
9 Posts
The horsepower loss for the base run is over 25% which seems high for a Dynojet. What gear were the runs done in?

I can't tell you how they got the results they got but when I did my runs I put in the weight of the car and my G-tech Pro RR calculated the car was putting down 179 horses to the wheels, so I am confident that their results are correct as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.