Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have observed that my Hyundai Lantra 1997 car has a feature that when the keys have been removed from the ignition -- the steering wheel locks.

1. Is this meant to help against theft? :)

2. If yes, how reliable is this against theft? :mellow:

Also, the gears also seem to have a locking feature. Is this also a security feature? :confused:

Thank you!
Avrohom

·
Registered
626 Posts
What a strange question. All cars have had steering locks for years and yes of course it is an anti-theft device.

I've never heard of a gearbox lock on the Lantra, but maybe it's an automatic; not sure what they've got. In the UK the cars have an electronic immobiliser as standard; reads a chip in the ignition key.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Well that doesn't bother me. I guess I'm just very new to the car scene.:mellow:

However, I also asked, How good a protection is this against car theft? :confused:

In particular, I bought a big red steering wheel lock. Should I continue to lock this onto the steering wheel when I leave the car?:rolleyes:

Thanks again!

Avrohom

·
Registered
626 Posts
If you have the immobiliser (standard in the UK but not in the US) then there is no need for an additional steering lock. Otherwise the mechanical steering lock does provide some protection but can be broken by force so your additional lock would then be a better deterrent if car theft is a problem.

·
Registered
626 Posts
What, they just turn the steering wheel hard and break however the wheel is locked?
Yep, they kick the steering wheel with their feet to force it past the lock. That's why in the UK, immobilisers have been compulsory on all new vehicles since 1997 (guess they didn't think of hanging all car thiefs).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts