Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 lantra stationwagon - possibly not sold in the US.

Problem with hthese is that thay have fancy roof rails. The aluminum catsings oxidise and cause rusting to the roof.

Hyundai distance themselves from any obligation.

Solution - dont buy hyundais with roof rails

·
Registered
2 Posts
Originally posted by tsb@Aug 14 2004, 10:46 PM
I have  a 1997 lantra stationwagon - possibly not sold in the US.

Problem with hthese is that thay have fancy roof rails. The aluminum catsings oxidise and cause rusting to the roof.

[snapback]779[/snapback]​

If this is the only problem you have encountered, I think you have made a strong endorement for this car.
I purchased a 1997 Elantra Wagon used in 2000. This thing now has over 200000Km and still runs perfectly and is used daily on business.
Yes, the roof rails on mine are a bit corroded, but just today I hauled some plywood 4x8 from Home Depot on the roof. I use mine to haul everything.
This car is awesome-- so much so that I have renamed it "The Ossum!"
(And all I ever wanted was a stick wagon with air.)
Eeyore
Toronto

·
0 Posts
Sorry for this dumb question but Is Lantra station wagon version of Hyundai Elantra?. Do they share same engine and chasis?.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by tsb@Aug 14 2004, 09:46 PM
I have  a 1997 lantra stationwagon - possibly not sold in the US.

[snapback]779[/snapback]​

My Elantra has Solar roof with rail , NO PROBLEM AT ALL,
is 1997.
But I regularly clean and oil the rails of course !!!!!

Regars
Selenico77

·
Registered
3 Posts
I Just bought a 1998 Elantra wagon with the roof-rails that are bubbling up with some rust at the attachment points. Still seems like a very solid setup though. I don't think the rack is weakened since the attachment is aluminum, it's just a cosmetic nuisance. This is the only thing wrong with the body, which is impressive after 6 Canadian winters. Besides, when I was shopping around I saw a few non-roof rack Hyundais with rust, but the problem is undoubtedly worse with the rack.

·
Registered
3 Posts
had some bubbling around mine as well. pano checked it and said while it will cost a bit to fix, it is well worth it as the rust will spread down along the top of the windscreen. Doesn't sound like it will just be a cosmetic problem after that...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts