Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my father has a Hyundai lantra (1999) the car runs ok as normal, but could suddenly cut out. It could run normal and when we switch it off and come back to it 5-10 minutes later it might not start. We checked the plug leads ignition coils and found when this happens there is no spark coming from the coils. Sometimes if we keep trying it will start up as normal. It could also run normal for a whole day and suddenly it will happen again. It has a new battery and is working fine, but will eventually drain after we keep turning the engine to try and start the car. When we jump start the car it will run perfectly again, the starter has recently been rebuilt and works fine. There is no miss in the engine and the spark plugs are new and work fine. It appears to be some ignition problem. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
If it was my car, I'd be replacing the crank sensor by about now. Real easy to do, just need a spanner to get it off. But that's just me because I can get the parts cheap.

You'll find all the plastic connectors around the motor could be cracking and questionable on those particular types of connectors.

·
Registered
626 Posts
If it was my car, I'd be replacing the crank sensor by about now. Real easy to do, just need a spanner to get it off. But that's just me because I can get the parts cheap.

You'll find all the plastic connectors around the motor could be cracking and questionable on those particular types of connectors.
I second that.
The crank sensor can go open-circuit with temperature change and would definitely cause no spark. Take it out and measure the resistance. Then warm it up in the oven to 100 degrees C and see if you still get a reading. What mileage has it done?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts